Striker Transporter vs Otter Sportsman

• Josh Hedstrom

Hey everyone, I am looking into getting a better rod case this year, since my ice combos have gone up in price from about 40 bucks a combo to around 150 bucks a combo. Damn you TUCR rotflol

Anyways, I know that the Otter Sportsman case is well reviewed and about as durable as they come, but the Striker Transporter case looks like it would be fairly slick for storing rods as well as storing a bunch of gear all in one case.

I am looking for input from people who have each of these to know what they think, and what the pluses and minuses to each of them are. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I saw the striker at the ice show and loved it. Didn’t buy it and got the otter for a bday present and used it a season thus far. No complaints, busted one tip of a custom closing the lid but that was my fault.

If a guy can fit all his tackle needs into the bag I’d like to switch, might have to take another look at one to see if it’s doable. Otherwise you’re carrying around 2 bags which suck. Like the fact otter doesn’t have zippers in nasty weather and dries out well.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

had not seen the striker case yet but just watched a video review of it and must admit it looks slick. a few concerns: as Nick mentioned zippers and cold weather don’t always work well so that could be a negative. Also not a big fan of the backpack design. With all of the layers of clothing on the thought of trying to sling a backpack on top of my jacket sounds awkward and frustrating. I also like the slim profile of the otter case vs this. Having said that this case does look cool. Let us know if you get one

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I wouldn’t worry about backpack design crappie, I’ve shorefished with a backpack for years in the winter and it becomes a non issue. Makes for a nice wind break on the back at times.

CaptainMusky

I have owned the Striker Ice Transporter and yes, it looks slick. When I bought it I thought it was the perfect ice bag for my gear and my rods, but it has several flaws. Within the first year the following issues happened: 1) somehow one of the side pockets the bottom blew out 2) zippers don’t fully function all the time, they should have put more heavy duty zippers on there and the biggest issue which ticked me off the most was 3) the fabric inside the rod tubes caught the tip of my custom noodle rod and it snapped off.
    There is no reason for this fabric to be there.
    I have had this bag for a number of years now, I purchased it the year they came out.
    I contacted them about my issues, but admittedly it wasn’t immediately and they just replied with a basic thanks for buying the product, sorry you had issues, but we wont do anything about it. I wasn’t looking for anything actually, just trying to advise them they should make some changes (remove that dang fabric first and foremost).
    Based on my experience I would NEVER buy one again. Heck, if I was given one, I would just sell it to someone else.
    I do absolutely love their striker ice climate suit. Too bad about this transporter bag, its close to a home run, but there are some glaring issues that would need to be resolved before I got another one.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I saw that issue with the fabric checking it out and if got one would’ve made some plastic tubing for it immediately. Hate having to modify a new product.

Good to know about the zippers. Hopefully they come out with an improved bag 2.0, I’d check it out.

Doug M
    SE SD

I have used the transporter for 3-4 years now and love it. I have not had any of the previously mentioned issues. It has tubes inside to hold 5 rods, I bought 2 of the $4 HT polar rod guards to store 2 more rods on end that only has 2 rod tubes inside. So I store 7 total (4 on one side, 3 on the other). I like it also because I can store tackle in the side pockets and also in the center pocket along with my skimmer, and a lot of stuff I probably do not need but have just in case.

gonehunting

This has been a great bag for me. Room for rods and two pockets for tackle trays and one long pocket for pliers, lights, etc. Nice zippers on this as well. I’m not a Clam fan but they make the same thing as well only in baby blue. Just not a fan of the rigid Otter handle and latches. I use the Frabill Heavy Duty Rod safe for my longer rods when I go to Lake Winnipeg and need something that will take a beating.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-DOUBLE-SIDE-FRAMED-TUNDRA-ROD-CASE/1910388.uts

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Frabill-Heavy-Duty-Ice-Rod-Case

Dan Baker

I have the otter. When it’s closed, I feel totally confident about the safety of my rods. My only issue is when I’m sitting in my flip over and I want to open it to get a new rod out, the top wants to open all the way and it can get a bit unruly. Especially when it’s sitting on my lap.

navtiller
    chippewa falls

Check out Ice Fishing Innovations rod case. Hard sided and holds numerous rods and tackle. A little bulky, but it holds all you need.

evobassfish

Plano 42″ AW padded gun case is a better alternative to the otter. The striker transporter has its advantages.

Attachments:
    1. 20170930_175045.jpg

Josh Hedstrom

Looks like I have some more research to do. Might just wait until the Ice Expo and see what I think of all of them when I can compare them all side by side.

As for the people who had mentioned the rods getting snagged in the fabric of the tubes, do you think using rod slicks would help solve the issue? I have rod slicks on all of my rods already and plan on still using them just because it keeps them from getting tangled up in my case that I have now.

Thanks for all the input already voiced!!

Migz
    Lakeville

My buddy has a Otter sportsman and we were fishing on leech lake when temperatures were -20°F and below. This caused the plastic to shrink enough to where the hinge ended up with a cink in the middle from the plastic shrinking and deforming the aluminum hinge. It still opened but the hinge was binding. Still a great case, but something to watch for if you fish when it’s that cold.

evobassfish

Looks like I have some more research to do. Might just wait until the Ice Expo and see what I think of all of them when I can compare them all side by side.

As for the people who had mentioned the rods getting snagged in the fabric of the tubes, do you think using rod slicks would help solve the issue? I have rod slicks on all of my rods already and plan on still using them just because it keeps them from getting tangled up in my case that I have now.

Thanks for all the input already voiced!!
    On my transporter bag i took off the felt and went around the edges of the tube with black electrical tape and that solved all the snagging problem. When im done on the ice i always snip off the jigs anyways to avoid any other problems. Last season one of the smaller side pockets now has a hole in it as mentioned by the op. The bag will hold a ton of gear, i even got my lx5 to fit in there.

timothy klotz

I have both the Otter and the transporter, I’ve used the striker for 2 years and am very happy with it. Have had no problems with Zippers and very durable. I bought the otter about 2 months ago because I have a TUCR BW and it’s a 36″ and doesn’t fit in rod holder. The otter is bigger so it should work. The problem is that I also bought a 48″ JM meat stick and won’t fit in either. So I’m on the hunt for a case for that. I’m considering a single or double cordura rod holder if I could find one long enough. I do like the looks of the ice innovations case, any ideas?

Peterbob
    Menasha, WI

The heavy duty frabil is so solid I bet you could run it over with a atv and it wouldn’t do a thing. I have had many rod cases this one was the ticket!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The heavy duty frabil is so solid I bet you could run it over with a atv and it wouldn’t do a thing.

Can you go ahead and try that and then post a video of how it goes? mrgreen

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.