Strikemaster – no gas augers?

• Cameron white

We had a very reputable guide here in Manitoba use a lithium strikemaster last season. He wasn’t babying it, and used it as he would his lazer mag. Didn’t last half a season. Burned up the insides. Could it have been a bad one? Sure. It happens. But he won’t be going electric. More of us up here running tanaka’s, husquvarna, stihl and efco 2 strokes now.

Charles

Could just pick up an older lazer aug for $150 lol.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

We had a very reputable guide here in Manitoba use a lithium strikemaster last season. He wasn’t babying it, and used it as he would his lazer mag. Didn’t last half a season. Burned up the insides. Could it have been a bad one? Sure. It happens. But he won’t be going electric. More of us up here running tanaka’s, husquvarna, stihl and efco 2 strokes now.

No matter how good of a job you do designing something someone will always find a way to break. Sounds like if you are a guide un Manitoba you should use something else, for the 99.9% of the population buying augers it will probably serve them well for a long time.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

It was only a very few years ago these posts would be 12 pages long telling us electric guys we were nuts. As I remember James, you were one of the naysayers. They have not changed much since the Ion came out. Now that Strikemaster made one the Ion haters love electrics. Reputable companies make reputable products.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It was only a very few years ago these posts would be 12 pages long telling us electric guys we were nuts. As I remember James, you were one of the naysayers. They have not changed much since the Ion came out. Now that Strikemaster made one the Ion haters love electrics. Reputable companies make reputable products.

I respectfully disagree that electric augers have not improved significantly since the first models hit the market. My opinion of the original ion has not changed. Not impressed. The 40V is far superior in my opinion. If the original ion was the best electric augers could offer I’d still be a gas guy.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

A best friend bought a SM and I tried it a few times, it was a great auger. SM is a great company that makes great products. I have a permanent house and the Ion doesnt throw ice like the faster SM and the shaver blades open a used hole as easily as a new hole. Everything I need. Since I always have a drill with me I am thinking that auger direction might happen this year. Have a good Ice year James, looking forward to the new shows.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Have a good Ice year James, looking forward to the new shows.

Thanks 3rdtryguy. Good luck to you this ice season as well.

Cameron white

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cameron white wrote:</div>

I am no guide but fish a lot…2 trips to Winnipeg 3 to Devils and 3 to Low with my home water on Mille Lacs. Haven’t run my gas in four years. Just saying. I don’t run a SM but some of the guys in my fishing crew do…I know I quoted you Cam but not knocking you as Winnipeg is a beast on equipment.

No sweat. A lot of folks like them.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I have heard this experience from other guide services and while I’m sure there is some truth to it, it’s worth pointing out that more or less their augers are being subjected to commercial use.

I liken it to professional landscaping equipment compared to a common home owners lawnmower or snow blower.

I would say that the electric augers would be more than adequate for over 90% of the average retail buyers/users.

Cameron white

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cameron white wrote:</div>

I have heard this experience from other guide services and while I’m sure there is some truth to it, it’s worth pointing out that more or less their augers are being subjected to commercial use.

I liken it to professional landscaping equipment compared to a common home owners lawnmower or snow blower.

I would say that the electric augers would be more than adequate for over 90% of the average retail buyers/users.

Agree. Still not giving up my tanaka. Lol!

hnd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3rdtryguy wrote:</div>

I respectfully disagree that electric augers have not improved significantly since the first models hit the market. My opinion of the original ion has not changed. Not impressed. The 40V is far superior in my opinion. If the original ion was the best electric augers could offer I’d still be a gas guy.

was out in SE MN lakes and watched guys bust out their brand new OG ions take so long to get through the ice. it was quiet mind you but all the gas augers were just ripping through the ice. I was like then and there until it gets better, i ain’t touching electric. I think we all knew it would get there. I think brushless technology really ramped up the discussion.

Coleman benn

I tried one but they changed the plastic notches on the battery so they wont fit.

twinkies87

Hello Everybody!

This is my first post but have long enjoyed the content of this forum.

I am looking to buy an electric auger this year and would love to go with the Strikemaster 40V with the Lite-Flite auger.

Does anyone(or maybe James) know if we will be able to purchase the 40V power head with the Lite-Flite drill? It would be rather expensive to go that route and would bring the new ION into the discussion being they would be close to the same price point.

Also what would the weight savings be using a 40V powerhead with a Lite-Flite auger compared to the original steel auger?

Thank you!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hello Everybody!

This is my first post but have long enjoyed the content of this forum.

I am looking to buy an electric auger this year and would love to go with the Strikemaster 40V with the Lite-Flite auger.

Does anyone(or maybe James) know if we will be able to purchase the 40V power head with the Lite-Flite drill? It would be rather expensive to go that route and would bring the new ION into the discussion being they would be close to the same price point.

Also what would the weight savings be using a 40V powerhead with a Lite-Flite auger compared to the original steel auger?

Thank you!

I’ve been told that reeds has an upgrade they’ve put together that will allow people to save some money on a 40-volt auger and a light flight drill. You’ll want to give them a call to verify. I couldn’t find anything on the website.

Weight savings is about 4 lb.

twinkies87

Thank you for the quick reply James! I’ll have to give Reeds a call.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If that upgrade through reeds is a real thing please post back and let us know the details. I heard second hand information on that a couple days ago and don’t know the specifics.

twinkies87

I just talked to a rep and Reeds and this is what I found out.

You can get a bundle of a Milwaukee M18 and either the 6” or 8” Lite Flite. With the 6” being $459.99 and the 8” being $479.99. Those both come with a free Trophy Strike auger bag and an extra battery for the drill.

You can also get a bundle of the 40V auger and the Lite Flite, though you will need to buy the full 40V with steel bit and all.

You can get the standard 40V 10” with the 8” Lite Flite bit included for $849.99 and you can get the standard 40V 8” with the 6” Lite Flite bit included for $799.99. Those both come with a free Trophy Strike auger bag, an auger extension, an extra set of blades, and an extra 40V battery.

I hope this make sense to everybody.

FRS

On page #52 the Lithium 40V 8″ auger PLUS EXTRA BATTERY is $599.99
    Adding the 8″ Lite-Flie @ $199.99… Total $799.98…
    Now you’ve got an 8″steel and 8″ lite-flite.

I also think there’s going to be some better deals on BLACK-FRIDAY.

Bluegill89

Anyone put a 6” On the Strikemaster 40V?

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

You sure could. But may I ask why?

IMO the 40v power head is heavy and overkill for a smaller auger. Those 4-6″ bits rip on a drill and then you have a super light run-n-gun combo that will punch holes all day.

milemark_714

Probably a good move for strikemaster. Their gas augers were the most unreliable on the market. If I had a dime for every time I heard someone cussing their strikemaster…

I like electric and strikemaster makes a good one but there will always be a need for gas or propane for certain situations, in my opinion.

I used to cuss at a Jiffy Model 30 quite a bit.Would run good one trip,and not so well the next.Those old Magnum III were excellent units,as long as you were aware of the muffler.I bet they burned a lot of clothing?

Shawn U

I just looked at the GMAX battery….It looks the same as the SM 40V and is for sale on on Amazon. Would love to know if it works and is safe to use. As for electric vs gas any time we go with my buddy’s and they have gas they just leave them in the truck and use my Strikemaster 40V. Reverse to clean the hole and the LED lights are great in early morning drilling.

B-man

I tried one but they changed the plastic notches on the battery so they wont fit.

He said they are not compatible

twinkies87

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Blake Hanson wrote:</div>

If that upgrade through reeds is a real thing please post back and let us know the details. I heard second hand information on that a couple days ago and don’t know the specifics.

I just talked to a rep and Reeds and this is what I found out.

You can get a bundle of a Milwaukee M18 and either the 6” or 8” Lite Flite. With the 6” being $459.99 and the 8” being $479.99. Those both come with a free Trophy Strike auger bag and an extra battery for the drill.

You can also get a bundle of the 40V auger and the Lite Flite, though you will need to buy the full 40V with steel bit and all.

You can get the standard 40V 10” with the 8” Lite Flite bit included for $849.99 and you can get the standard 40V 8” with the 6” Lite Flite bit included for $799.99. Those both come with a free Trophy Strike auger bag, an auger extension, an extra set of blades, and an extra 40V battery.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

It did the first time you posted. Now that you posted it again it makes about the same amount of sense as the first time you posted.

But thanks, it was good information though. waytogo

Rod Thompson

I have had my 4 stroke strikemaster for 20 years. (one of the first ones with the robin engine) It still runs fine often cuts slow because of the dirty ice we get here in wyoming with our wind. I will be needing a new auger eventually. I am skeptical of batteries. My hobbies have me using cordless drills often. Seems after a few years the batteries go bad. Even with replacement batteries the run times suffer greatly with the tools after a couple of years. I am really interested in your opinion of which way to go in the next couple of years. Strikemaster 40 v. or go with a cordless drill setup. I ask because my 4 stroke has always started all conditions for 20 years. If I am low on gas I siphen out of my atv. Haven’t hauled a separate gas can in over ten years. Also wondering since my atvs have hot spots/ lighter style power for spotlights and such does the strikemaster have an adapeter for remote charging or a way to piggy tail into a running atv. Most like mine have the wiring for a winch already roughed in in the front of the machine or at minimum a place to plug and play.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Strikemaster 40 v. or go with a cordless drill setup.

I prefer to go the route of a dedicated ice auger so I would pick the 40V. That said, I was really impressed with the lite flight on a Milwaukee drill. I carry two batteries for the 40V when I go out for a day of fishing. I bet I only used the second battery a handful of times all winter. 1500″ of ice per charge seemed to be pretty accurate.

MNdrifter

Last years LOTW’s late pike trip in late March, there was a layer of hard packed snow and then slush and then ice. When you punched through the hard snow, the augers sucked all the slush in the second layer to the hole. It bogged down the auger when it was finally into the ice. Two batteries on buddies 40 volt turning a 10” bit wouldn’t drill all 14 holes needed for 7 of us fishing. You most definitely needed a gas or propane in that situation. But don’t get me started on what happened to my jiffy propane on that trip cry . I love my ion for the wheel house, and thought about selling the jiffy and ion and getting SM 40 this year and going completely electric, but I changed my mind after that trip. That reminds me, I still gotta get my jiffy fixed.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The thing that scares me is the battery availability. All batteries will fail eventually. And when that happens will they still have replacement batteries? I’ve had bad luck with cordless drills and other tools. You charge the battery that one millionth time and it’s shot. And then you find out they quit making that model. On the other hand, they’re still making gasoline.

Almost all cordless tool batteries can be rebuilt by a rebuilding service if it’s not possible to replace them outright. They’re all made up of individual cells, so it’s just a matter of sending them out to a service that has the tools and knowhow.

But now that cordless toos are so incredibly popular, it’s almost never necessary anymore. There are just so dang many cordless tools out there that batteries are sold by the millions and that will guarantee they are available for decades. I suspect augers will be the same way, get a few hundred thousand of them sold and battery demand will ensure supply for decades.

Also, as TSWO says above, if you look closely at batteries, more and more companies are sourcing generics rather than designing their own proprietary pattern. I have a generic 20 volt 1/2 inch impact wrench that I bought for the hunting property and the battery it uses is a generic pattern 20 volt that is used by hundreds of different brands and replacements are everywhere.

Grouse

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.