Strikemaster Lithium Lazer Re-Design for Next Year ?

• GaryV

Well, put me in the class of people who absolutely love the performance of the Strikemaster Lithium Lazer auger. I have nothing but good things to say about this electric solution to drilling holes in the ice. Truthfully, I am going to find it very hard to box it up and send it back, but I know that’s the safe thing to do.

With all that being said, here is my question: What does everyone think the odds are that Strikemaster will offer a new/revised/improved/fixed design in time for the next ice fishing season? If I absolutely knew they’d give this technology another shot next year, I wouldn’t hesitate to send it back and take the $700 credit. But if they don’t redesign it and jump back into the electric auger market, I might go another way.

Thoughts everyone? Or, better yet, do any IDO staffers or Strikemaster reps KNOW the answer to this question?

GaryV

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I would be very surprised if there isn’t a new version of the lithium lazer next year. The R&D cost of producing a brand new product like that has to be pretty substantial, I would guess they have their engineers working hard to find a minimally invasive solution to this problem(if they haven’t already) so they can re-launch next year. I guess it all depends on the complexity of the problem though…

I think it’s too early for them to completely declare it a sunk cost and remove themselves from the market.

crappieguy

Watch them compete with ION and add a reverse feature as well as include an extension

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’m in the same boat… well not boat… as you..
    I really do not want to send what has become my all time favorite auger back…

But with no inside knowledge.. I’m thinking there will be a very nice series II coming !!

Thanks for thinking about our safety StrikeMaster !!

mckeen

Strikemaster’s response to my inquiry of a fix for this auger next year…

“Thank you for your email. Below is the recent Recall Notice. We apologize for any delay. At this time, there is no repair options for the auger. We are working with the supplier of the power unit and trigger switch to find or develop a replacement switch. We hope to have a fix, but we cannot yet offer switch replacement, repairs or any type of timeframe”

…thats’s where they’re at on 02/16/2015

I’d settle for the Rapala bucks instead of a refund, but without knowing I’m not sure Rapala(Strikemaster) would get that money back in sales from me if there is not going to be a new Lithium Lazer. I really like mine!

JoeMX1825
    MN

for the guys who only paid $420-$450 for the Lithium Lazer auger from places like Reed’s, I’d return it in a heartbeat for the $700 in Rapala credit and basically get $200+ for free, put that towards a new snow suit or camera/flasher…If they are redesigning it, they should make the plastic materials more sturdy, but maybe it’s the way it is to keep the weight down?

I will only ever own a battery auger from now on, competition for Ion will only result in better products for all of us to use.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

I see no problem coming up with a fix by next year. It just may be simple thing like adding of a relay, something in the line of power windows in a car to prevent switch mealtdown or motor burn up.Ther must be a lot of draw going through that trigger while drilling.

The question is can they properly meet demands on the supply end of honoring credit and new purchases all at the same time. That can’t be easy to figure out how many to maufacture.

I commend Strikemaster for their honorable decision to do the right thing.

rayc
    ontario, canada, sault ste. marie

I’ll let you all know how my new ion works compared to my old strike master lithium lazer??? Which i thought highly of(great machine)

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

It would only make sense to be redesigned with reverse, after using the ION with reverse it would be a huge mistake for them not to.

I would put money on the fact that SM will offer “refurbished” units next year with a new battery, blades and switch. Thats a lot of money to lose when its just a switch, if that is the whole story?

roger

anybody know if we can just drop it off at the the hopkins store for refund? i bought mine on line.

curleytail

I have absolutely no data to back this up, but my guess is they will have a battery auger out next year. Like others have said, a lot of work went into developing that auger, and I would be surprised if they just throw it all away.

Hopefully lots of testing goes into the next generation. A fishing buddy bought one and took it back (before the recall). Had issues with getting the battery off and on, switch cover fell off, all within the 2nd trip.

He felt the unit would have likely been better if more testing had been done, or he just was unlucky and ended up with a lemon.

I have a feeling they will come out with a good one next year.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

In response to the $200 free stuff post-Have you ever ordered off a manufactures website? That will barely replace the $400 auger I’m guessing. SM is, or was, a good company so I have to believe they will make it right. (Man I’m glad I went ION though)

castle-rock-clown

There is not a lot of time from now to the beginning of next ice season to get a completely new design properly tested. This includes addressing the fault, designing a new switch, testing the new unit, reworking the cosmetics, building a final prototype, testing the prototype, getting the new design to the tooling engineers, retooling the factory, producing a finished product, and shipping and distributing to dealers. Yes it maybe can be done, but it would be a rushed to market product. Unless they have a big headstart in the works already I don’t know.

And then you have the marketing message that would go ” we took 8 months to redesign and test this machine…that will be $699.00 please.”

JoeMX1825
    MN

In response to the $200 free stuff post-Have you ever ordered off a manufactures website? That will barely replace the $400 auger I’m guessing. SM is, or was, a good company so I have to believe they will make it right. (Man I’m glad I went ION though)

I factored in that you would probably avoid buying another Lithium Lazer and buy a gas powered auger from their site instead. Rapala’s prices aren’t that bad and they offer free shipping too.. You could get the best gas auger they sell and still have another $100 to spend…

castle-rock-clown

Augers are like condoms or beer, you never want to have just one. Especially if the first one rips or you spill…having a backup can save the day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.