Strikemaster 24v auger

• Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

Stumbled upon the 20/21 Ice Force catalog on the internet today.

Attachments:
    1. 7EC5D7A6-B0A0-4971-A381-60E35351E86B.jpeg

Ice Cap

I’ve had my Ion for 3 or 4 seasons now and it’s done everything I’ve asked it to well enough to have no reason to consider a change but if it dies on me I will certainly consider a Strikemaster as I’ve heard a lot of good things about them.

Alex Fox

I’ve run both the Ion and the Strikemaster. I would hands down go with the Strikemaster. I own the 10 inch and it cuts faster than the Ion 8 inch, but that is the ion model from 2 years ago, not sure on the new one. The only time I would think either model would be a detriment is if you’re drilling 60 inches multiple times, and I’ve only done that on LOW once in my life.

hawghunter08

Where did you find the catalog? Can’t find it anywhere

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

That’ll be a great opportunity to get the close-out 40v models for cheap. Great augers.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Sure now take more of my money

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That’ll be a great opportunity to get the close-out 40v models for cheap. Great augers.

FYI – The 40V Augers aren’t being discontinued.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Seems like this is maybe targeting the run and gun panfishermen? Similar market as the smaller sized kdrillers…..

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Thumb wrote:</div>

So which way is SM headed? Are they really keeping both models? Wouldn’t be making a lot of friends if the didn’t I guess…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Thumb wrote:</div>

So which way is SM headed? Are they really keeping both models? Wouldn’t be making a lot of friends if the didn’t I guess…

Yes, SM is keeping both models.

Bullcan

Ball park price on this?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Any reason for one vs the other?

hawghunter08

If you are looking to save a couple buck versus the drill/bit combo, but even that is not much. Also the weight doesn’t make up for it. My ion g2 is 17 lbs and this with an 8 inch is just over 14 so I don’t fully understand how much market there will be for this? Don’t take me the wrong way, this is a cool little auger. I would actually prefer this over the drill/bit combo but at 400, may as well just go for a 40 in my opinion. These electric augers of all brands these days are awesome. Doesn’t matter what brand you like they are all a must have

tswoboda

If you are looking to save a couple buck versus the drill/bit combo, but even that is not much. Also the weight doesn’t make up for it. My ion g2 is 17 lbs and this with an 8 inch is just over 14 so I don’t fully understand how much market there will be for this? Don’t take me the wrong way, this is a cool little auger. I would actually prefer this over the drill/bit combo but at 400, may as well just go for a 40 in my opinion. These electric augers of all brands these days are awesome. Doesn’t matter what brand you like they are all a must have

The 24v is in a different class than both of those augers…
    $399 vs $750 on the g2
    14 lb vs. 24 lb on the 40v

24v looks like it’s targeting the current cordless drill/driver/hammerdrill market.

hawghunter08

Yeah it’s obviously targeting the drill/bit combo market and for someone like myself I would rather buy and use this than my drill with a bit of my choice. Just saying its not much cheaper than going that route and for the people who don’t have a drill to use for other things, they may want to do that and have a drill and be much lighter at the same time. And then also at 400 and that weight if you can scrape up the extra cash may as well just go for a 40. None of the electric 40 volt augers are heavy or hard to carry around no matter the brand. Like I said, especially my g2 at 17 lbs. it’s actually fun to use. I’m not a brand snob either. Love em all. Have used the strikemaster 40 also and it is awesome. You can get those for an xtra 100 bucks tops. I just chose ion for weight and I had an ion x I loved already. Not saying anything negative about this auger. Just curious how it will do. Glad they are all coming out with more toy options for us.

Sylvanboat

Question: does the 24v have the same drilling power?

Mike Lehmann

would also like to know. might be replacing my m18 and k drill set up

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

would also like to know. might be replacing my m18 and k drill set up

The 40 v has more torque than the 24 v. The drilling speed between the two augers is very similar when using 8-in auger bits. The 24-volt is not rated for use with a 10-in drill bit due to the reduced torque.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The 40 v has more torque than the 24 v. The drilling speed between the two augers is very similar when using 8-in auger bits. The 24-volt is not rated for use with a 10-in drill bit due to the reduced torque.

I’ll be curious how this one (the 24V) floats in the market.

When Strikemaster finally whittled down their experiments on electric auger supremacy, they finally hit the home run on the 40V.

Perhaps the finest ice hole drilling machine on the market today considering all other drawbacks with gas, propane, inferior blades, batteries of their own past mistakes or competitor’s offerings.

The Strikemaster evolution from their flagship line of gas powered to the transition to electric. The Electra Lazer DP 12000, the “Big Volt” and anyone remember the short lived 50V? Lasted for 2 years maybe and gone.

The 40V is now the best out there and I wonder what the market will be for the 24V when the price point is approaching what a new 40V was selling for end of last season.

I’m in no way trying to smudge Strikemaster on this new offering, certainly they’re looking to perhaps claw back some market share from the K-Drill phenomenon.

But the 40V is at the top of the game now.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Seems like an early and late ice auger. I have the SM synthetic hand auger mated to my drill/plate and it struggles in ice over 24″ due to the flights not moving the shavings up/out enough of the hole. I now use a nils for ice more than 24″. I hope SM improved the synthetic cutting head because some folks were posting online of the synthetic head breaking this past season.

Boone

Anybody put there hands on this unit yet? Or even give it a go yet? Just got a flyer in the mail from cabelas and if I spend $400 I get 60 off so for 340$ might add this to my arsenal this year. I fish all panfish on the Mississippi river so 2 feet of ice isn’t very common.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

A little late to the lightweight party but don’t blame SM for getting a lighter unit on the market.

I have the Milwaukee M18 with clam plate/7” Lazer and the SM 40V and for that reason…I’m out on the 24.

Gilgetter

Seems like this is maybe targeting the run and gun panfishermen? Similar market as the smaller sized kdrillers…..

Don’t know why anyone would pay similar money for. Dri setup now. This will take a bite out of the drill market I’m guessing

Gilgetter

A little late to the lightweight party but don’t blame SM for getting a lighter unit on the market.

I have the Milwaukee M18 with clam plate/7” Lazer and the SM 40V and for that reason…I’m out on the 24.

I run a similar setup as you and I’m guessing if anybody does an honest comparison the 24v standalone auger will dominate any drill setup. In my opinion the only benefit to the drill setup has been weight. Now that edge is gone

gonehunting

I had no intentions of buying one since I currently have an Ion X 40v which had treated me well. Then Dicks Sporting Goods had 25% off and bought one for $325. I like the reduction in weight but am curious how it will be re-opening holes. Looks to be a good auger. Very few people say they have trouble clearing ice at 24”. You should be lifting pretty much any auger at that depth to prevent getting your flighting stuck. I know that extra 2 seconds counts to some. If they hold up as far as the flighting and cutting edge I think they have a winner.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.