2/27 Ceder report

• eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

I went wading today.Started in Waterloo and up to Waverly.The water in wloo was falling and about 12″visabilty tea color.Wind was blowing pretty good w/ sunny skies,in the 40s.Waded below the dam and in another spot w/ nothing happening.So I headed up to waverly dam.Water was steady,clear and noticeably cooler.Tried diff. colors and minnows w/no success until I rigged up my new 4″ostershell ringgie(Thanks Dustin ).Caught 3 eater size eyes before I had to go.They were hitting fairly light and the wind didn’t help matters, also it had to be moved slow.
    Two 9lbers were caught wed.the bigger 9.09.Things look good for the weekend,so good fishing.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I fished the Cedar very briefly on Sunday, maybe for about two hours tops. I hit several spots, and ended up once again with a monster carp snagged on my jig as the only thing to show for my efforts.

Water is down about one and half feet from the previous week, and running much clearer. Visibility is probably 8 inches or so, but there’s still a lot of flow and current is heavy compared with summer levels. The 40mph winds didn’t take long to blow me back into the truck and onto the couch for a nap, but hopefully the nice weather slated for this weekend holds and I’ll be back out there in no time.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Been the same here the last couple times out.I pick up some when the water was at it’s peak lst Fri. or so on a black rinngie in dirty water a foot from shore.Like you said the forcast has got me planning on Fri.to get the boat out for the first time.
    And whats up with the snow 16″ in DM,3″ here .

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

Below the dam at Nashua has been steady all week.It will be crowded this weekend. Bring waders to access more water.Everything I’ve thrown has caught fish.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thanks for the report Niteeye,glad to hear you’ve been getting into them,any size to them?Well I’m putting new lights on the trailor today and tommorw I got free(as far as I’m planning ).

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

14 to 16 is average with a couple everynight over 19 but don’t tell anyone. I hesitate posting this because of the pressure it gets but the people on this site are the ones I wouldn’t mind fishing next too. I use this site to get my info so I figured I owe a little info. Cotton candy Kalins in the 3-5 inch have been the best.Bigger fish have all been on the 5 inch.I’ll be there again tonight.See ya,JD

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

No big fish last night.4 Northerns around 4lbs though. Still a lot of action on the Cotton candy Kalins. I tried chartrusse and hot pink without a bite and went back to the cotton candy with immediate response.Northerns hit white(glow)Walleye Assasins.Going to put the boat in and try above Charles City Sat.See ya out there.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Well I got the boat out today with my dad.We put in at Evansdale and worked are way up.Water had fallen a little and the color was good in most places,water temp. well still cold if you ask my dad .We tried pitching jigs,trolling cranks,ver.jigging.We ended up with one smallmouth and a couple lost fish,I don’t like fishing in wind,my face is still wind burnt.
    But the day was saved by my scuba friend.He was in the bow on a chair w/ his back toward me,I was on shore ready to get back in.Well I jumped in after he told me come on,and he did a back flip out the boat in the water never touching any thing and hanging on to his rod.He came out the water w/ eyes the size of plates,saying the water temp “S#%T THATS COLD”.Thankfully he wasn’t hurt and he walked up to my grandmas took a bath,change of clothes and was back down ready to fish.My gma saw him coming out the window and wondered who the man walking like he had a corn cob somewhere was.Needless to say we had to stop fishing we were laughing so hard.Still laughing as I’m writeing.The funnest things I’ve seen out fishing,wish I had a picture to show you guys,but thought he might kill me. Later he told me his legs were still red,what a trip.

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

The water has dirtied and cold off a bit from the temps last week. The fishing has slowed and the big fish are scarce.20 people fishing last night with only a few little ones was the report a friend gave me.I tried a spot I hadn’t fished in the spring before and had a great night.The water is a lot cleaner and water temp was 43degrees.White twisters/minnow and Kalins(salt&pepper)produced 10 fish over 18″.Biggest was 25″.Heading back tonight to see if it was a dream.See ya,JD

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

It must have been a dream.Last night the fish didn’t move up on the shelf like they did the night before(2-5ft).All the walleyes we caught were at the base of the shelf(9ft) and the size wasn’t great. I hope they were just taking a break. I’ll try it again tonight.Report from below the dam at Nashua last night was LOTS of people and slow bite.See ya out there!JD

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

Things picked up below the Dam in Nashua last night. I waded out to the island and had it all to myself.That is the first time in 10 days I haven’t seen at least two people fishing the island. Chartrusse twisters and firetiger cranbaits worked.I only landed males 16-18 inches.They would drop their milt if you handled them to much.Myself and one other guy(shore fishing) had some bigger fish on but they were located in the tailout of the pools and hooks would pull loose once they decided to come to the surface.I saw him break off three different times on fish. The dam shut the flow down about 8:00 and the water level dropped 1&1/2 feet in the next hour.I’ve never seen it drop like that there.Small males was all after that.See ya out there.JD

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

stopped below the dam in Nashua last night.There were 15 people fishing.Everyone was catching fish but only saw a few keepers.Yellow and white twisters have been good.21″ was caught on what looked like a chart. rebel craw crankbait.See ya out there.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I changed the name in the subject line. Ther river is Cedar as in cedar tree.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Three of us went out sunday,took two boats.Fished several places by pulling the boat up and putting it back in, but only one fish caught.After hours of fishing the guy in the other boat landed about an 8 lb eye, we fished it abit longer w/out a hit before I had to leave.Only one fish caught or seen caught,others didn’t do any better that I talked to.Water was coming down and stained, bluebird skys and little wind. Thanks for the correction Big Fish Dude.

jake1962
    Osage

Went out above the dam at Mitchell last week before it rained hard again. River pretty muddy yet. I don’t have much experience on this fishery, but did manage one crappie of fair size (released). When the river comes down a bit hope to try some more. I’ll post when I have something interesting to report.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.