twin cities streams

• shorelunch

I moved here last summer from out east. Back there my favorite way of fishing was strolling along streams and casting my ultralite spinning rod. Hate to say it but I have not found any good looking streams here on the west side of town. I’ve walked along Nine Nile Creek and Minnehaha Creek quite a bit and never so much as seen a fisherman (or a fish for that matter). Are my stream fishing days over? Someone please tell me where to go. I’m willing to drive an hour or so out of the cities if that’s what it takes. Thanks

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

What species are you looking for? In terms of trout angling, you don’t have many viable options in the Metro (across the river in Western Wisconsin is another story). Hay Creek near Red Wing is not far from the Cities.

Otherwise, check into the St. Croix River and Mississippi River, especially if smallmouth are your thing. I don’t live in the Metro, so I can’t speak on what there already is in that area.

shorelunch

I should have been more specific. No it does not have to be a good trout stream. I’ll fish for anything where I can get by toting light tackle and lures up and down the bank.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

WI has a good selection of streams to choose from. All you have to do is pick a road, drive, spot the little bridge coming, stop, check it out! Some are better for trout and others will offer multi-specie opportunities. Just east of Hudson is the Willow River and south is the the Kinnikinnic. To the north you quickly run into the Apple River. From the metro, anyone of these 3 can be wetting your waders within an hour! North metro has some Mississippi offerings and the Rum river is up that way too. I’m drawing a blank for west and south metro possibilities. But to the north some and east into WI will carry an option or 3!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Used to love to do this also. Before the boat came along. North of the metro is the Rum River. Good small mouth and alot more. Heading up hwy 65 about a hour is the snake. Anouther good smallmouth river. I have fished this from shore from McGrath to the St Croix. The sunrise is a nother interisting one. Head up 35 next exit north of hwy 8. Caught a few eyes, large carp and catfish below a dam on this little river.
    The rice creek is one right in the metro area in fridley. This one runs from lino lakes to the Miss. in fridley. There is a paved walking path along it most of the way.
    Nine mile creek is in carver I think. This is a trout stream. Dont know much about it.
    Elk river up the miss. towards st cloud is a good one for wading. Lots of smallies. Had a huge northern come up on my heighbor as we where wading. Hit the surface about 3′ away from him. I think he thought he was going to loose a leg or something.
    Crow river west of town. This has a smaller fork that goes towards watertown. The main river heads out towards western MN. Walleyes, smallies, and lots of catfish in this one. Dumps into the Miss. in Dayton.
    This should be a good start. There is a lot more out there. There is also countless spots to get to each of these rivers. I started with a state map book. It was the larger book, about $20.00 bucks at gander or a few of the bait shops have them.
    Good luck fishing.

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

Cannon river system…Bill Cadwell, should be able to nudge you in the right direction their….for trout….Whitewater state park.I can help you out their just PM me

SWANY

Moses25

Hey, I was wondering if anyone in this forum was familiar with the Rum River. I have lived in Andover for some years now and year after year have fished the Rum River. I know that the Rum is a great Smallmouth bass source but I’d reallu like to get some hints and tips or anything really that could help me catch some walleyes. I have gottan a few from time to time, but I really would like to get into a mess of them. If anyone could help me out with catching some walleyes in the Rum River that’d be great! Thanx

Moses25

Does anyone here fish the Snake River and have great success with Walleyes? I have caught a few but am still in the dark as to if the Snake River is a good place to fish for them…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.