Strangest Bycatch

• Drum Guy

Caught a channel cat on a big ol bucktail while chasing muksies this morning. I’ve caught a channel through the ice a few years ago as well on a 3lb panfish setup. What’s your wildest bycatch?

mojo

I caught a 16 inch Rainbow trout just after midnight with a chicken liver on the bottom of a lake with a max depth of 11 feet. Trout are not listed as present in this body of water. I felt bad because he swallowed it and couldn’t be released.

Ripjiggen

I was in a tournament on Mille Lacs. Take off was out of isle. Made it up to closest rock pile in some really rough water. It got worse trying to troll crank baits we were surging at 7mph.
    Wasn’t going to work. We went back into the bay to maybe find a walleye or two in the weeds as we knew not many fish were going to be caught that day.
    After an hour of pitching bobbers.
    Bobber down get the net. This is a good one. Oh man it feels really good. Scoop em scoop em.
    Ah crap it’s a dogfish.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

A pair of women’s underwear on a wing dam. They were purple with green polka dots.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Pool 4 in the main channel. i caught a 16″ brown trout on a hair jig and shiner. Pool 2 i reeled up a green tube sock.

Attachments:
    1. 20150316_180847-scaled.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

A pair of women’s underwear on a wing dam. They were purple with green polka dots.

Were they keeper size?

Attachments:
    1. 40624.gif

B-man

Nothing super strange for me, just the usual suspects while targeting other species (suckers, carp, catfish, muskies, etc)

But there was one fish that completely tricked me one time…

We were fishing at Isle Royale a handful of years ago when the outside board took off SCREAMING!!!! The fastest and hardest hit I’d ever seen!

The only fish in freshwater that can burn off 300+’ of drag like that is a BIG King

It was crazy exciting, especially since kings there typically average 5-10lbs, that’s if you’re even lucky enough to catch one.

It had everyone in the boat jacked up. We’d gain 50′ and lose 100’…Gain 75′ and then it’d burn us for 125′.

After a 20 minute battle, something didn’t seem quite right. The fish quit running, but it was really hard to crank in.

Turns out it was a big Steelhead….hooked PERFECTLY in the BUTTHOLE jester

It was able to run as hard as any steelhead could, because it was able to swim perfectly straight away from the boat. When it gave up the fight, it sorta folded in half which made it feel like 50 pounds lol

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20241013-170642.png

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.