Stikemaster Solo 3HP?

• Dan Baker

So I was just offered a deal that I couldn’t pass up on a new in box Stikemaster Solo 3hp. I currently have a 10 year old Strikemaster Tecumseh 2hp Lazer. My Question is, does anyone have any honest reviews or opinions on the Solo? And if anyone has made a similar upgrade, what should I expect out of the new machine?

Thanks,
    Dan

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t believe there are any quality differences between the 2.5 and 3 hp. I have the 2.5 and have had 2 simple issues.

1. Broken clutch spring. Caused by inexperienced operators using it in 4′ of ice and not removing snow upon break-through. $20 fix

2. Kills after drilling a couple holes. Cause was a broken vent hose in the gas tank. $1 fix.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I have ran the Lazer Mag Pro 10″ for 4 years now. That auger is hard to beat. I have replaced the fuel line and I have broke the exhaust cowling a few times. (the plastic piece that covers the exhaust). I can be pretty hard on my equipment. Should be a pretty big upgrade from the Tecumseh as far as drilling speed!

hless_jon
    SW Wisconsin

I have the Lazer Pro 3 HP… Very good auger. You will not be disappointed. The little bit of extra HP may not mean much from the 2.5 HP but I would not trade at this point

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That auger is hard to beat

x2 I’ve been running mine (2.5 hp) for a few years now and no complaints. It spends a great deal of time bouncing around the back of my truck and haven’t had to replace anything yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a old, old srtikemaster that just lost compression, so I upgraded to a chipper lite with a solo engine, I’m not even sure what horse power it is I put on my laser drill and its wonderful. I’ve had it two years and has been perfect.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Great augers! You’ll love it

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The ones shipping out a couple years ago had the wrong fuel line on them. A different plastic formulation for summer engines. SM was awesoem for quick responses in shipping out the correct tubing.

I have the 3hp/10″. FAST, and surprisingly fuel efficient compared to my old MagII

Hoyt4
    NULL

Great augers
    You will love using it.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

the 3hp lazer pro paired with an 8″ bit was the fastest auger I ever owned, but I burnt up the engine on it by not being careful with my oil/gas mix ratio’s and using synthetics. Talked to the Strike Master technician about it at D-rock and he recommend a ratio even richer than 40:1 for the 3HP. It was too late at that point. When you get the auger I would talk to D-rock about their recommendations on gas mixtures for longevity.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t believe there are any quality differences between the 2.5 and 3 hp. I have the 2.5 and have had 2 simple issues.

1. Broken clutch spring. Caused by inexperienced operators using it in 4′ of ice and not removing snow upon break-through. $20 fix

2. Kills after drilling a couple holes. Cause was a broken vent hose in the gas tank. $1 fix.

Let me add that I love my 2.5 hp. I even use it with a 10″ laser drill with no issues. I wouldn’t consider any other gas auger.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The ones shipping out a couple years ago had the wrong fuel line on them. A different plastic formulation for summer engines. SM was awesoem for quick responses in shipping out the correct tubing.

I have the 3hp/10″. FAST, and surprisingly fuel efficient compared to my old MagII

D-rock told me that it wasn’t the fuel lines but the gas tank hole was drilled too large to the fuel line grommet. Maybe a different issue but it sounded like strikemaster will replace the tank at no cost as well.

gonehunting

I also own one. Best gas auger I’ve owned.

Dan Baker

Awesome guys! Thanks for all the tips. I’m pretty pumped about it. I hope give a real work out this weekend. Let’s hope it can handle 5″ of ice yay

castle-rock-clown

I bought a Strikemaster Lazer Pro. Only problem was gas lines falling off. I went to hardware store and bought new clear line and replaced the black lines. I also sold the 8″ Lazer drill and put an 8″ K-Drill on it. 22lbs and the most bad ass drill on the ice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.