State Record Smashed-if only the season were open…and

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

it would be a shame to kill a fish this size and this old for a paper title that will be short lived.

The good:
    “Fishesota field-staff member Devin Donaho with a state record breaking lake sturgeon.

The current MN state record sturgeon measured 70″ inches long with a 25.5″ girth.

This monster sturgeon measured 77″ long with a 31″ girth.”

According the the MN chart compiled out of the Baudette DNR office, this fish would weigh aprox 123 pounds.
    The age chart tops out at 70″ listing 51 years old. I think it would be safe to say this fish was born around 1956.

The ugly:
    To obtain the state record status in MN, the Lake Sturgeon season must be open (it closed Sept 30th), a $5. tag purchased and most disheartening…the fish must be killed.

The catch and release Lake Sturgeon season remains open on most MN waters through February of 2016. Please check the laws on your particular water.

Attachments:
    1. Delvin.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Wow. Thats a fish. Wonder how they ever got that thing in the boat.

rschmidty

Fish of a lifetime! Awesome!

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I don’t think I could ever “kill” a fish like that for a record.

mr-special
    MPLS

holy hanna wat a beast

i saw another pix where he is holding the fish solo. makes me feel like a pansy cz i could barely lift up my 61″ lol

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Is that Rainy or location undisclosed?

That is a monster and a beaut. There is no way I would take a fish like that just for the sake of having my name on a list.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

St Croix pug.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sweet Jeebus. I assumed that with the lights in the background, but had a hard time believing a sturgeon that big was from the Croix. Talk about a good story, what a come back for St Croix sturgeon.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Impressive! toast

-J.

devin donaho

I have other pics of the fish it was fun to catch but its not a fish of a life time I believe theres bigger fish in the croix

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

For 99% of the public, it’s THE fish of a life time! waytogo

Welcome to Ido!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So how big of sturgeon do you think is out there Devin? That one might not be the biggest but I would think its close. Seem to remember guys talking about catching mid 80″ fish at Lake of the Woods. Seems to me that some of the Wisc lakes have some pretty big sturgeon to.

Anyway you look at it thats still a monster fish you guys caught. Very nice.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Hi Devin,

Welcome to IDO. That’s a great fish. If you have the time, I’d like to read the story behind the fish and I’m sure a lot of others would too. It must take a strong back to hoist a fish that big over the side of the boat.

Congratulations,

Boone

devin donaho

I believe there is fish in the mid 80’s in the Croix. I’ve seen a few 77+ inch sturgeon come out of the Croix. My buddy caught one that measured at 78 without a pinched tail. If the tail was pinched it could have possibly hit 80 inches.

yummymuskie
    A River.

the rate this season went the record would have change hands once a week, also what would be the point in killing a fish like that?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I think someone is going to top the record books next year.

Hopefully not

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m wondering how much support the DNR would give to putting a top end on the harvest of large fish. Course the WI side would have to follow or it would be pointless.

Guess it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Sam
    St.Francis

I didn’t think the fish had to be killed, just weighed on a state certified scale and witnessed by two people, either way its best just to take some quick pics and let them live many more years I just started sturgeon fishing this year after a guy named Brad Robertson came up to me when I was fishing the Croix in Stillwater and taught me, after the first big one ya get hooked on them

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I didn’t think the fish had to be killed, just weighed on a state certified scale and witnessed by two people,

That would be the WI rules. In MN…they die for a state record.

After saying that, there has been a few cases I’ve heard about where, for example a bass was transported to a holding tank some place. I think the fish died after a time anyway.

Sam
    St.Francis

ahh ok thanks for the info!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.