St. CROIX spots

• sinfish

I took a drive down to Bayport to see if anyone was driving out after this snow. They were indeed.

As I drove home I checked out the new 36 bridge. It does not appear anyone has fished near there.

This leads me to my question. Is there other spots on the lower Croix that get ice fished? North or south of the kinni? Marine on st.croix? South of stillwater to the new bridge? Prescott? Is it just not safe ice or plain dead water in the winter?

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Good question. I’d say a combination of:
    –> Tougher access
    –> Less safe ice (although plenty of other safe ice spots on the croix than the community spots
    –> It’s easier to follow the crowd.

I’ve done great trolling and vertically jigging on the croix late into the season (open water). I’d be surprised if all those fish suddenly move a month later.

buschman
    Pool 2

about 70% of the ice is good south of the Bayport area. There are groups that fish areas but is a pretty lightly fished.

I have spent a lot of time from Afton to Prescott. All species are out there to be had but you really have to know what your doing on that ice if you go out. There are some pretty bad areas beyond the open water at Catfish and Kinni. Access is an issue also to many and the ones that have it are not spotlighting it. They all like having a spot to call their own with no crowds and I can respect that.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Like buschman said access is a problem and not knowing the trouble spots also and having the area to a limited amount of people is a pluss.
    There are some great spots but those spots are very good durring certain times of the year durring ice time. The spot I was having good succes is drying up now and now I’m waiting for the time to come when the channels start biting in another area.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Just below 94 crossing can see some ice fishing activity (conditions pending). Usually ATVs to a point and then foot traffic. The main channel generally stays open all winter there and the open water/ice line can ebb and flow. I’ve seen guys close enough to open water to make me nervous just driving by. You can also get cracks in the ice sheet in that area depending on open water and wind. Seems like a place you’d want to monitor on a daily basis before venturing out.

Tyeye

Ditto what Tegg said, saw those guys South of 94 today and made me jealous/nervous for them, that area can litteraly change by the minute. Always wanted to try it but don’t know any one who has experience with that ice to go out with.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.