St Croix river walleye fishing

• chevyost

Hello IDO people.
    Newbe here. I am going to be fishing the St. Croix river tomorrow from Hudson to Prescott. I have only fished this river ones last year on the wingdams and did ok.
    I am wondering if any of you have some tips for me like where to start and what to use.
    Thanks in advance.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Check out croixsippi.com – he has a bunch of reports and past ones that will help you.

Right now guys are trolling raps and dragging live bait on rigs and both seem to produce pretty well. Both crawlers and minnows should work this time of year.

As far as spots, most guys keep that pretty close to the vest. There are some popular spots like down by the Kinnie and in afton that can produce. With the warmer weather the past few days I would assume most of the fish are transitioning to post spawn locations so look for 15-25′ deep with transitions to deeper water nearby. Get a good map and you can probably mark down 5 or so spots to hit.

Good luck.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I second what Matt says. I fished Sat and Sun. I’ve only used crawlers. My buddy used minnows on Saturday. He didn’t keep any fish on Saturday and I kept 3. We were catching fish in 12 – 20 ft. The current areas (Hudson, Afton, Kinni) are still holding some fish but we didn’t do as well this weekend as last. Good luck.

chevyost

Thanks guys.
    I went out last night and tried the wingdams in Prescott and I picked up 2 as soon as I got there in 10′, then the rain started and after that nothing. One 17″ walleye and one 15″ sauger. Guys were catching shorts on jigs. I was trolling cranks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.