Squirrel Season

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Went out tonight after work and went to a favorite early season spot full of hickory trees. Only had about two hours to hunt but tagged two nice squirrels. Got a new to me Marlin Model 60 at my local gun store for $99 bucks recently and it’s been a lighting bolt, all one shot drops.

Attachments:
    1. EEC165AB-FB6D-4B6C-B6F5-A5B7AB9EFFD9-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Throw them on the new smoker

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Never mind, wrong guy

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I got a smoker. I was actually thinking of doing so when I get a few more.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Never heard of smoking one, but I guess why not. I haven’t hunted squirrels in a really long time, it sure was a good time.

robby
    Quad Cities

Great rifle and hunting squirrels in the early months is great fun. Some use shotguns, citing that they cannot see them through the leaves. I believe that is part of the challenge using either a .22 or a .17. And boy do they taste great when prepared properly. The meat does not have a “wild” taste anyways. Better than rabbits in my opinion. For you far northern friends, the squirrels we hunt are fox or grey squirrels. Much larger than pine squirrels. Here we even have black squirrels thanks to a gift to our country from Germany. Would have been better without them. For the record I have eaten pine squirrels in a mulligan stew of ruffed grouse and snowshoes. Was great at the camp. Would do it again.

JEREMY
    BP

Squirrel season is year round in my yard.

Riverrat

If by pine squirrel you mean them little red squirrels. Eat em. Kill em and eat em in front of their little squirrel buddies. Do it slow, let them know they are on the menu. Im still mad about the one that filled my whole shed two feet thick with pine cones and walnuts. Its still sticky in there.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If by pine squirrel you mean them little red squirrels. Eat em. Kill em and eat em in front of their little squirrel buddies. Do it slow, let them know they are on the menu. Im still mad about the one that filled my whole shed two feet thick with pine cones and walnuts. Its still sticky in there.

Haha agreed on the red squirrels. But you sure that wasn’t dirty Mike and the boys in your shed?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

It’s always squirrel season here as well.

I will go on a run where I leave the .22 or .17 out and pick off a few per night, then a couple months later when they are thick again I’ll take down some more.

We have the smorgasboard of squirrel types/colors, but I will drop what I’m doing to blast a pine/red squirrel or whatever they’re called. About 2/3 of our “normal” squirrels here are black which seems strange.

JEREMY
    BP

Just watched the Other Guys a few days ago. Dont think I wanna hang out with Dirty Mike and the boys.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.