Spud bars

• ermaag62

On the last episode of IDO James mentioned he always carries a spud bar I have looked into one a few years ago but never purchased one. I’m looking into getting one again so what brands does everyone recommend?

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I bought one like that a couple of years ago it works fine for me, you could get one with a wood handle which would be a little lighter but cost more, I just use mine on skinny ice

404 ERROR
    MN

I use the one Jamin posted above and it’s never let me down. I almost always have one in my portable and I also keep one in my spear house. They make 2-piece designs for a little more money, if that interests you.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

The one piece of Eskimo gear that I do have is there spud bar. It breaks down into 2 pieces and its about 5.5′ tall when put together. Cant remember what I paid for it a few years ago but its super cheap insurance. I know it well, if it goes thru on the 3rd hit, I have 4.5″ of ice. Never go out early season without it

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have one that is 1.5 inches so pretty pointy. And I keep it knife sharp. If it goes through on one drop of my arm then I stop and re-evaluate.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Don’t forget to put a loop of rope on the handle.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The one piece of Eskimo gear that I do have is there spud bar. It breaks down into 2 pieces and its about 5.5′ tall when put together. Cant remember what I paid for it a few years ago but its super cheap insurance. I know it well, if it goes thru on the 3rd hit, I have 4.5″ of ice. Never go out early season without it

Every spud bar will hit a little different based on weight and head design. The important piece to take away, as Jake mentions, is to learn through experience how much ice you have under your feet based on X number of hits with the spud.

My spud saves me from getting wet at least a time or two each winter.

ermaag62

Thanks to all that commented I got one online from fleet farm.

muskynate27

I have to commend James for taking the time in his last show to go over ice safety. Even if it got one person as it has in this post to purchase a spud that’s a success. I’m sure there have been many many more that have further considered ice safety due to that clip.

jarrod holbrook

I got mine from a shop on lake st Clair. I reproduced it and made 6 more for my friends and a few spares. What I liked was it had a tube handle like 3/4″ gas pipe. It makes a very distinctive sound when it hits. You can tell pretty easy when things are changing. I can’t imagine not carrying a spud. Safety and a walking stick. I cut one down to go on the quad as well. Anything that looks funny out on Erie can quickly be checked. I wrapped mine in hockey tape on the handle with 3′ of rope that loops around the wrist.

Charles

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jake D wrote:</div>

Every spud bar will hit a little different based on weight and head design. The important piece to take away, as Jake mentions, is to learn through experience how much ice you have under your feet based on X number of hits with the spud.

My spud saves me from getting wet at least a time or two each winter.

James questions, have you been in the water your self?

I use an old 1970 spud bar that is heavy but gets through the ice quickly.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James questions, have you been in the water your self?

I use an old 1970 spud bar that is heavy but gets through the ice quickly.

Yes, twice. Both times back in my early twenties when I was considerably less wise and completely unprepared.

The last big scare I had involved a guy, in his early twenties, that decided he didn’t need a spud, picks, or a headlamp when walking out on early ice. Long story short he walked himself right into a crack about 20 foot wide and I had to throw him my spikes to help him get back out.

FWIW – Spuds aren’t only for early season use. Every year I use it to find my way around ice heaves and every winter, had I not had the spud to check ice, I know I’d walk myself right into at least one dunking.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I picked one up on sale at Fleet Farm last night for $16

Aaron Drier

Even then, sometimes that’s not enough, RIP frabill ice chisel, it was fun while it lasted.

ozzyky
    On water

Spud saved me today on a few lakes. As mentioned above. Cheap insurance.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

x5 on tie a rope to it. Mines heavy but works good and can be used to pry the house up. Used to be the framps. a co worker of his made it out of a rear end piece off a pick up truck

Iowaboy1

probably a dumb idea,has anyone thought of putting a thin disk of metal or a pair of wing like projections on the spud bar so that when you do penetrate thin ice and you dont have a good grip on it,it doesnt go through the ice and is lost??

affix the wings or disc so that it folds up when not in use or only expands on the downward throw only so as not to clip you in the legs during the walk out??

hear that James Holst??? if you can sell that idea I want a few things to go ice fishing with,what do I need?? oh,just everything you can imagine.
    dont need a wheel house,but if this goes big????

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I like the 2-piece Rapala one with the sharp, serrated tip. It takes about two smacks and you’re 4″ deep in the ice.

It’s not worth $50 but it’s really nice.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

Even then, sometimes that’s not enough, RIP frabill ice chisel, it was fun while it lasted.

Evidently you forgot to loop the rope around your neck. jester

You’d be wouldn’t be RIP, nor would your Frabill spud.

Ryan P
    Farmington

I also think that was a great little segment in last weeks episode. A lot of people new to ice fishing like myself (my 3rd year) may not know the important things to always have with you. Might not be a bad idea to just pull out that Ice Safety segment and use it as one of the short YouTube web videos. Just a thought. I just purchased my first spud bar this year and am looking forward to using it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.