Spring Netting

• Nate Feuerhelm

Not trying to start a big brouhaha but I have a serious question that I can find little information about online. It appears from reading other posts that the DNR does not monitor the amount of fish that the different tribes net on Mille Lacs. If this is true what has been their rationale or excuse for this?

Nate Feuerhelm

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Not trying to start a big brouhaha but I have a serious question that I can find little information about online. It appears from reading other posts that the DNR does not monitor the amount of fish that the different tribes net on Mille Lacs. If this is true what has been their rationale or excuse for this?

Nate Feuerhelm

The “process” is that the Tribal Regime report to the DNR each day( via fax/email?) with info regarding daily Tribal permits given out/where they will be/which Band/ the total lbs. of harvest from the previous day etc. Mn. DNR assumes this info is accurate??

Rationale? When I have asked over the years I get –in so many words—” why should we not believe them? We have no control of how/when/ how many etc. the Tribal harvest involves”. –From the Aitkin Fisheries Office.

FYI–I/we have caught the “numbers” to be very different at the accesses vs. what the actual reported numbers are… one example would be several witnesses seeing 11 totes of about 30-40 walleyes per tote at the Garrison accesses one morning –averaging about 2 lbs. per fish. “182lbs.” reported to the Aitkin office the following morning–for that date– from that access/permitted Band members. Countless times truck loads of walleyes–500 lbs. or more per truck–leaving various accesses without any GLIFWC and or Mn. reps in place. Counted /weighed elsewhere?

When I have questioned this process in the Aitkin office–I am called the liar/racist and all…

Rationale? At Lake Mille Lacs?? LOL

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Good question. Answer is the DNR will not address this as an issue. If you take the time to ask the question, they will not reply. At least not to me when I asked many, many times.

Want to take a stab at it? Here is some contact info to get you started.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/aboutdnr/commissioner/index.html

-J.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

No the DNR does not count or witness. That why you can find photos of uncleaned pike etc in ditches. It on the honor system The Mille Lacs band did not do a lot of netting it was all WI and MI and they definitely could care less what was reported

MWal

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

No the DNR does not count or witness. That why you can find photos of uncleaned pike etc in ditches. It on the honor system The Mille Lacs band did not do a lot of netting it was all WI and MI and they definitely could care less what was reported

MWal

FYI–I “hear” the ML Band speared it quota already this spring. Over the years, the ML Band actually netted MANY MORE than any Band–being their quota was/is always the highest each year. ( each Band has an individual quota–added up/divided up from the total GLIFWC quota)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.