Spring fertilizer and crabgrass

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Does anyone know what approximate ground temps are (north metro) and if it’s time to put down crabgrass preventer?

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

You can put Roundup on any time.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

It could’ve been applied a month ago. The sooner the better for crabgrass prevention.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Put it down before the dandelions bloom. Crabgrass germinates when the lilacs bloom.

lindyrig79

It could’ve been applied a month ago. The sooner the better for crabgrass prevention.

Not from my understanding. Too early and not as effective. There is an “ideal” time from what I have heard in years past. A month ago we still had snow.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You can put Roundup on any time.

Don’t use roundup on your lawn unless you want to kill everything.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Sorry I disagree.

Personally we just let the weeds grow. Its better for the bees and our water. Plus you don’t have to mow as much… more time to fish!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200502-205419_Chrome.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m not using any pre emergents last year or this year. I may not next year too.

I had a lawn service for the last maybe 5 years. I went from exquisite and lushes fluffy green lawn to a desolate desert that was barren. YEP I got pics to prove it.

I’m back to doing my own thing again, what a waste some of the national companies are! flame ! flame ! flame ! flame ! flame

Ok, I guess it might be time for a cocktail so maybe I may once again regress. mad peace toast

Mr. Derek
    NULL

Greencast shows our 5 day average around 56°. That seems a little higher than it probably is. Are you using prodiamine or dimension?

lindyrig79

Greencast shows our 5 day average around 56°. That seems a little higher than it probably is. Are you using prodiamine or dimension?

I’ve typically used Dimension

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>

Not from my understanding. Too early and not as effective. There is an “ideal” time from what I have heard in years past. A month ago we still had snow.

the month ago comment was just a way to say asap. I’ve always had luck treating it early. Once it’s up and green it’s tough to kill. Just my experience. waytogo

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If it wasn`t for crabgrass we would not have a green lawn we are so sandy about the only thing that grows.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Sorry I disagree.

Personally we just let the weeds grow. Its better for the bees and our water. Plus you don’t have to mow as much… more time to fish!

Didn’t know they made a grass safe roundup now. I stand corrected.

The original roundup was the one I was thinking of.

sji

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Sorry I disagree.

Didn’t know they made a grass safe roundup now. I stand corrected.

The original roundup was the one I was thinking of.

My guess is it’s not true Glyphosate. Probably more on the line of 2-4D or another broadleaf herbicide. Just a guess never seen the label.

lindyrig79

The one I’ve had good luck with was from Lesco and was a mix of fertilizer and crabgrass preventer.

I’m gonna call the Hugo Feed mill tomorrow and see what they say but I think it’s go-time… wanna get it down before rain this week.

fishingchallenged

My soil temps were over 55 a week or two ago in the metro area. Crabgrass starts germination 57-63F.

lindyrig79

FYI- Hugo Feed mill is pretty experienced with this I guess. They have a newsletter you can sign up for and they are saying to wait another week based on the cooler temps this week. Again, this is north metro.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This. You can do it with remnant snow on the ground.

lindyrig79

For pure crabgrass control yes. However you would likely need to reapply which is a waste of money.

Most all resources say ground temp is important to determine application.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

For pure crabgrass control yes. However you would likely need to reapply which is a waste of money.

Most all resources say ground temp is important to determine application.

With dimension it is better to get the timing closer to germination temps since it doesn’t last as long and costs a lot more than prodiamine. Dimension does have some post emergent control of young crabgrass depending on your app rate.

I have had good results with prodiamine. If I recall correctly it ends up being less than $20 an acre to spray prodiamine for 3-4 months of pre emergent control.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.