Spoons – how do you rig them?

• tangler
    Inactive

My spoon game is non-existent, looking for some pointers. If you were trolling spoons for lake trout in clear, deep shield lakes, what would your setup be? The lakes we’ll be on have some potential for 30-35 inch fish, but not known for behemoths.

Ideas for specific spoons? Forage is Cisco. How big do u go?

Flouro leaders— what length and lb?

Assuming I’d connect the leader to main line with ball bearing swivel?

What about tying on the spoon itself? Tie direct? Split ring? Quick Snap?

Many thanks!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Look at the split ring at the hook connection. I remove the stock hook, add a swivel and go back with a siwash hook. This removes some leverage a fish can get with a fixed hook.

tangler
    Inactive

Thank you, I will look into that.

Anybody have any insight to share on the questions above?

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

For great lakes trout and Salmon I use a 20-25 foot length of 30 lb floouro leader and a good quality swivel snap.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

We always ran a 15′ 30# fluorocarbon leader down to a ball bearing swivel. Then a 4′ 20-25# leader to a snap. That way if you get snagged up you only lose the bait vs a half a spool of leadcore. If you’re just going to be downrigger fishing then you don’t really need to do that. You could run a high quality ball bearing snap swivel.

B-man

Lots of ways to skin a cat depending on what you’re doing.

What is your main line?

Are you using mono with riggers or snap weights?

Braid with a leader?

Leadcore?

Copper?

Wire? Dipsys?

All of them need to terminate with a snap swivel, but I vary the size of it and pound test of the leader depending on the application.

Spoons run better (more action) on lighter leaders like 15-20lb, but 30lb isn’t too heavy either.

Most of my reels have have a 25′ leader at the beginning of the season. I like to attach the leader to the mainline with a 50lb or 80lb Spro swivel.

The 50lb will reel through almost any levelwind, the 80lb won’t fit through some reels with small levelwind eyes.

It’s not completely necessary with spoons, but doesn’t hurt (you definitely want it if running flashers
    , dodgers, or Brad’s cut plugs).

You can also do a Willis knot instead to connect leadcore to the leader, or choose one of many other knots to connect it to braid (like a Crazy Alberto). A uni-uni works well if connecting it to a similar sized line (like a mono mainline).

Run true fluorocarbon “LEADER MATERIAL,” not fluorocarbon LINE. It’s much more abrasion resistant than line.

I like Seaguar STS. It’s pretty reasonable ($$) as far as leader material goes.

tangler
    Inactive

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

No riggers or dipsys or anything fancy. Small boat in/near the BWCA. Just leadcore and/or snap weights. The lead is 18 lb Suffix. On the other pair of rods we have 30 lb power pro and we usually run either 8 or 14 lb flouro leaders. I’m prepared to go up.

Pat, that’s a bit heavier than I was expecting to go, but probably wise.

I’m planning on bringing little cleos and daredevls in a couple colors/patterns, and maybe something fuzzy. Anything else I absolutely must have in terms of spoons for deep clear lakes on or near the canadian border?

B-man

My favorite Laker bait is a Brad’s cut plug in wonderbread.

You pack them with tuna fish and Lakers can’t resist them…..(At least on Lake Superior)

The best tuna is Starkist roasted garlic in olive oil waytogo

I run them alone and also behind a white flasher or dodger. You’ll definitely want the additional swivel between the main line and leader that I talked about above, even without an attractor.

tangler
    Inactive

My favorite Laker bait is a Brad’s cut plug in wonderbread.

You pack them with tuna fish and Lakers can’t resist them…..(At least on Lake Superior)

The best tuna is Starkist roasted garlic in olive oil waytogo

I run them alone and also behind a white flasher or dodger. You’ll definitely want the additional swivel between the main line and leader that I talked about above, even without an attractor.

Interesting. Ever use the scent pads?

B-man

A little bit in the past, but tuna is definitely better. I refresh it about every hour or so or every fish, whichever happens first.

Don’t over-pack the lure or it doesn’t run right. Use just enough to fill the body and let the clam shell close tight.

And most importantly: NEVER FORGET TO EMPTY IT WHEN YOU’RE DONE )

If you don’t, I promise your nose will quickly remind you a week later when you open your tackle box LOL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.