Quantum or Shimano?

• bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

Overall, wut do u guys feel is the better baitcasting reel?

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Pinnacle…

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Spinning or baitcasting

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I have several Shimanos I really like. I don’t have any Quantum so I can’t compare them.

jjonsgaard
    Winona, MN

I am a quantum guy but shimano makes some of the best reels on the market. I dont think you can go wrong with either… just stay away from them darn flugers hahaha

jon_wbl

I have several Shimano reels, including one from 1987 that my son uses now. I also have one Quantum reel. The muskie rods all have Shimano reels. Quantum is on a bass rod. I have not noticed any problems with either. Back when Joe’s was on Dale street I sent my old Shimano in for repair/cleaning.It was making an evil noise while reeling in a fish, and would stop taking up line. The guy they used wouldn’t touch it because 10+ years old so they sent it to a Shimano service center. I had not been using it an had purchased a replacement already so I forgot about sending it in. About 2 months later I get a call from Joe’s saying my reel was back. Shimano fixed it for free. I have been loyal to them since.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

When they are equal price, Shimano every time. I’ve owned several Quantums and aside from the 1310MG they were all pretty crappy eventually.

The high end ones are a lot better but if you’re going to spend that much on a reel, get a sure thing, a Shimano or Daiwa.

A lot of guys here like the Pfluegers, they spin nice but I’ve heard that partly to do with the high inertia spools, can’t confirm.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Shimano for me!!! When I was doing a lot of cycling, all the movable parts on my Trek’s off road and on road bikes were made by Shimano.

When they started getting into fishing reels I tried, liked and am still using with my big dream to buy the Calcutta for my musky fishing.

Never tried the Quantum before, so can’t say anything bad about it.

Mark

BowedUp

Quantum without hesitation. I have the PT Tour Editions and love them. Also have a Curado and a Pflueger President. Curado is the only one I have ever had a problem with. Have fished with nothing but Quantums with the two exceptions above for the past 25 yrs. Would do another Pflueger but not the Shimano.

For spinning reels, I would go Pflueger, Shimano, Quantum. I actually think the Quantum is better than the Shimano but since they tend to be heavier I’ll give the nod to Shimano.

Of course, opinions are like a$$(*&^s, everyone’s got one!

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

I would say go with Quantum but thats just because I have 6 baitcasters everything from the accurist to energy to catalyst and to the pt tours. If I were to do it again I would buy a quantum pt tour burner modle I love that gear ratio 7:0:1 im not sure what the highest gear ratio is in Shimano but im sure somebody will let me know. My fishing partner loves his Shimano’s and I love my Quantums something you will just have to learn by trying each one out.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Shimano for me.Keep the schematic that comes with the reel and if you ever need a part,you can call them and refer to that and they’ll ship it out to you.They just recently sent me 8 parts for a couple of spinning reels…didn’t cost me a dime.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I am trying out the new abu garcia revo’s personally this year. I got to try one last year while fishing with guide Dale Stroschein. I was really impressed with its smooth casting and retrieving. They were right handed and the reel/rod combo was light enough to cast left handed which is something that I don’t do often. I purchased the left handed 51HS at 6.4 to 1 ratio. Really looking forward to using it for bass, though most of the guys at the shop consider it a light musky reel.

Mark

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I think that you will love those Revo’s. I know that I do

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Abu-Garcia. But if I had to choose between a Quantum and Shimano it would be a clear choice of Shimano. I have had nothing but bad product from Quantum.

kdb

Quote:

Shimano for me.Keep the schematic that comes with the reel and if you ever need a part,you can call them and refer to that and they’ll ship it out to you.They just recently sent me 8 parts for a couple of spinning reels…didn’t cost me a dime.

you can also find those schematics on line if you should loose your copy…

my low profile reels are Curados…some now over 10 years old…and still work like champs. Gonna have to change out the bearings this year…but still ‘tight’ and ‘sound’.

My ‘big, round’ reels are Abus…their record series (replaced my old 5500’s) … use them for my braid applications (froggin’, c-riggin’) and love them as well…although they’re not made/engineered quite as well as the Curados…they’re still excellent.

And I hear nothing but good things about the revos…

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I am calling bs. I have fished almost every model of quantum and had eventually they all broke went into the garbage. I have had a dozen curados never give me a single issue.. Well except for the time we sank the boat… They didn’t float..

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I have never been a fan of quantum. The only reels I have ever bought from them went to junk..A lot of their reels from 70-150 bucks are very cheaply made in my opinion. yes, the 250 dollar reels that they have are pretty darn nice and might last a long time, but for that price you can pick up 2 green curados that will last you many years! The only reel that I thought was a mistake by shimano was the Curado 200D from a couple years ago. I’ve had a few issues and so have other people I’ve talked to, but they fixed their mistakes and came out with another one this year.

riverbassman

Cade, are you like 25 years of age or older? The green curados have been around a long time and by the looks of it you are quite young to be saying they last that long. I am a fan of both Quantum and Shimano but I don’t make false claims.

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

Everybody keeps sayint that there Quantums are junk/break are you guys tossing them in the river and letting sand in the bearings or what? I try to oil my reels a couple times a year and never had a problem. My question to you guys is whats breaking on your quantums?

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

My quantums really havnt had any problems either Boone…ive had 2 quantum accurists for a couple years now and both have been reliable…i have 2 energy PTs (one old model and 1 of the new models) and one Tour Edition and those are real smooth and havnt had a problem with those yet…although the new energy PT i got has been making a hardly noticable clicking noise…idk if its in the bearings or wut? I think my next reel ill either go with the new green curado or a revo

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

Cade, are you like 25 years of age or older? The green curados have been around a long time and by the looks of it you are quite young to be saying they last that long. I am a fan of both Quantum and Shimano but I don’t make false claims.

Wow back up the bus. No place in Cade’s post did he give any time frame of how long anything lasts. He dose state that they “may last a long time” but he is only stating an opinion witch is all anyone is posting. I don’t see what his age has to do with anything. Befor you start attacking a person reputation make sure you read what is written.

kris_brantner
    My river

i have a little bit of everything. i have some shimanos, some diawas, some pflugers, and a pinnacle. i have one of the old green curados, ive bet ive had it for 5 or 6 years now. it is still just as good as when i bought it. they are STILL very popular reels. go on e bay and they still fetch a good 70+ dollars. i have some very high dollar reels. and quite a few hundred dollar reels. i have had a few quantums and just never liked them that much so i sold them. imo you cant go wrong with either a shimano, or a diawa.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.