Does amyone have one bass fishing secret they….

• mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

…want to share? Can be a lure or rod or lake or??? … I can start….

I use Uncle Josh pork rinds…the eel kind…as like a soft plastic stick bait or fluke. I put it on a 3/0 or 4/0 weedless hook. It can be fished in the nastiest stuff on braided line. I have caught many many fish in the reeds and in trees using this bait. I get the muskie sized ones and cut them down. I leave the length and down the sides so it comes thru the structure better. Rig it so the soft side is up. Twitch or pull the bait. You can use it on a spinning rod or casting but spinning is the best because you can skip it easier. I can use the same bait over and over again. I just put it back in the jar after I’m done. These are also great for kids because they don’t have to be constantly monitored.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I custom make all my jigs. This includes everything from flippin/swim jigs to jigs for grubs. I use a Gamakatsu 201 series EWG hook for a couple of reasons. Ultra sharp, and they hold up well. The wide gap allows for the bulk of most 5″ grubs I use, and I get well over 90% hook-up with them. No pull-outs either. A stuck fish is caught. I also modified all my molds for the angle of the eye. My jigs are closer to a 15 degree angle that allows the jig to ride over most obstacles. The EWG also allows for me to rig the hook weedless and swin it through most weeds without a “Weed Guard”

buck_slayer01

Last spring my uncle sent me a few of his custom chatter baits. He said that they were amazing I had tried chatter baits before and I did not like them but the blade on his is about 1-1/2 to 2 times larger than that of a normal blade and the vibraition it puts out is unreal I used it on the north end of pool 8 last year and caught nothing but 3 pounders and up, it didnt produce a ton of fish but every fish i cought was a quality fish. I can post pics if anyone is curious as to what they look like.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

When fishing deep weed lines in the middle of the summer, I use toothpiicks to peg a 1/16 or 1/8 bullet about 16″ above my Salty Sinkers, Senkos, or LF Fry. The 1/16 on a calm day is all that is necessary to get down 15′-18′, and still keep the nice slow fall. On a breezy day an 1/8 is required. The light weight keeps your plastic from penetrating the weeds and mud that cover the bottom and up in the strike zone. Not too many road beds in central MN, so this modified Carolina rig fits Mesotrophic lakes like a glove.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

I would like to see these custom chatterbaits and know where he is getting the components. I agree with your comments that most of them are too cheaply made. They do catch big fish.

Let me know if you can provide.

Thanks

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

When fishing in the spring in MN post spawn when you have all of the cruisers on the inside weedline I like to sight fish with a Fluke (baby bass is my favorite color). The key for me has been to cast 10-20 ft in front of the bass, if the bait catches his attenetion, don’t move it, when he lose interest twitch it with pauses until it get their attention and repeat until he takes it. Works a very high percentatge of the time.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Here’s one. I take the new version Sub Warts and remove the shot inside. I then replace it with larger shot. (BB or BBB.) This makes them sound like to old version.

kris_brantner
    My river

if i see fish chasing bait i like to throw a popper and catch them

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

I use toothpiicks to peg a 1/16 or 1/8 bullet about 16″ above my Salty Sinkers, Senkos, or LF Fry.

I do the exact same thing but I use Water Gremlin’s Bull Shot sinkers. Love those things. Like a split shot but bullet sinker shaped.

twoskneb
    Cedar Rapids, IA

YUM! Dinger
    Hook it weedless, cast it out, let it sink, hop it in.
    I’m sure 90% of my biggest bass have come through this method.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Ok…who’s ready for open water now?

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

me me me me me me me me me me me me, I am already, I have gone through my tackle box and took inventory and made a wish list that keeps on getting bigger and bigger and bigger, and bigger. I also just picked up a new sponsor today so I am super stoked!!!!

lets have open water and summer already.

shane

Grouse_Dog

Awesome Chatter Baits. Where can a boy from MN order them?

Grouse_Dog

How do you make sure the bait goes back together properly. How many items or shot are in the new wart? What is the best type of glue / epoxy to seal the hole?

have you tried tungsten or other types of shot? I like the idea!!!!

Good idea

willie boy
    Cornhusker Central ... HELP!

zoom horny toad. rigged with a Mustad UltraPoint MegaBite 5/0…glass bead on the line ahead of the bait…hook brough up between the legs (not run through the bait) and skinned…fish on braid…

and don’t be afraid to dead-stick around grass clumps…watermelon candy (for bluegill imitator)…black…or junebug/chartreuse…

DrewH
    s/w WI.

When late summer gill fishing I noticed bass surface feeding. I had just purchased a Lucky Craft Sammy so decided to try it out. I boated the next 3 out of 4 I cast to. I can’t wait to use it this year. The gill bite was terrible though. I plan on getting a 2 1/2″ for those schooling white bass and against the dams on the Miss. Has anyone used one of these with the same success.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Quote:

zoom horny toad. rigged with a Mustad UltraPoint MegaBite 5/0…glass bead on the line ahead of the bait…hook brough up between the legs (not run through the bait) and skinned…

I learned the same thing from a guy down in FLA about 4 years ago..Was a hook up almost every time compared to only some of the time when hooked in the body.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I like to tip my chatterbaits with Chompers Double Tail Jig Trailers. It’s incredibly versatile this way. I fish it a number of ways but one of the deadliest methods is to hop it of the bottom to imitate a fleeing crayfish. Around docks, I like to swim it all along the dock, as tight as I can get it and let the bass ambush it. Over submerged weed beds, I like to burn it, almost like a top water bait. The action is hard to ignore. Hopping, burning, or swimming, it works great. I prefer natural colors.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Care to enlighten us with your topwater secrets as well,
    I hear they are a killer on smallies.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Do you think a red colored chatterbait would be good in the springtime for bass? I hear it’s killer down south.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Do you think a red colored chatterbait would be good in the springtime for bass? I hear it’s killer down south.

I might need to head south, I got caught in the craze a few years ago. I have never had a bite on a chatterbait. They are now collecting dust in my fishng dungeon.

Ron

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Care to enlighten us with your topwater secrets as well,
    I hear they are a killer on smallies.

Wade has no topwater secrets…..they’re all mine.

aaron_carrell
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote:

I might need to head south, I got caught in the craze a few years ago. I have never had a bite on a chatterbait. They are now collecting dust in my fishng dungeon.

Ron

WOW! That is depressing to hear on my end. I have caught more fish on chatterbaits than any other bait. This includes lots of time on the river, and all the fish from lakes typically came from shallow weedy flats. Either way, don’t give up on them yet. I’ll throw a chatterbait 90% more than a spinnerbait I’d guess.

In regards to colors, I like having red on my bait, but not solid red. I usually go with a white and red skirt (mostly white with red strands every now and then) with a white Yum 4″ Boogee Tail with red tips. I have proven with several friends that the red tip makes a difference under the right conditions. We’ve had the same exact lure on, with same trailers minus the red tip and they won’t catch a fish until they switch. I amazed myself when I told them to switch and INSTANTLY they boated fish with me.

boods
    Lancaster, WI

I started catching a few fish on chatterbaits last fall. I have trouble throwing them around any cover what so ever. I seemed to get hung up a lot. Any way to get around that?

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Quote:

I started catching a few fish on chatterbaits last fall. I have trouble throwing them around any cover what so ever. I seemed to get hung up a lot. Any way to get around that?

If you are referring to weeds just give the bait a hard rip and the lip usually will cut through any weeds on the bait.

BowedUp

When fishing with a buzzbait always have a second rod rigged with a senko-style bait. If a fish blows up on your buzzer and misses, retreive it quickly and fire the senko at the spot. At least 80% of the time you’ll get that fish. Alos works with a fluke.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Quote:

When fishing with a buzzbait always have a second rod rigged with a senko-style bait. If a fish blows up on your buzzer and misses, retrieve it quickly and fire the senko at the spot. At least 80% of the time you’ll get that fish. Also works with a fluke.

That trick never works!

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

And Chatterbaits never work for smallies on the river in the springtime.

aaron_carrell
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

When fishing with a buzzbait always have a second rod rigged with a senko-style bait. If a fish blows up on your buzzer and misses, retrieve it quickly and fire the senko at the spot. At least 80% of the time you’ll get that fish. Also works with a fluke.

That trick never works!

I agree…. that NEVER works.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.