Looking to buy a new bass reel

• kruger
    Metro,mn

I ‘am looking for some kind of baitcaster that is mid sized and can hold some what heavy line. I was also looking into getting something in the 40-65 $$$ range, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, Kruger

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

They have some pinnicles at wal-mart for under $40! I personally have tried one and had no complaints. It’s a great reel for the $$$.
    Other than that, try EBAY..I have gotten a $50+ reel there for 20 bucks, and a 119.99 reel (brand new) there for 82.00 (that’s with shipping) so there are some good deals to be had!

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I’m a Shimano Curado guy but I did buy a couple of the Bass Pro Shops Extreme reels and they’ve been performing OK. I bought them at last year’s closeout for $40. They “improved” them and they are on sale now for $65. Don’t have a year on them yet but they do seem to be getting smoother as I use them which is usually a good sign. They still don’t compare to the Curados though (which are now $200, I have the old ones that would compare to a Citica).

So, besides that, what I would suggest is:

1) Get the most expensive Shimano or Daiwa you can afford. The Daiwa® Procaster® 6+1 Series Baitcast Reel may be a good choice for $70. They even have a $50.
    2) Don’t buy cheap Quantums and I’ve had a lot of problems with Pinnacles (smooth reels but I’ve broken almost every one I’ve owned and quickly) although I have a Deadbolt that’s still alive…not much use yet but probably 2-3 years old.
    3) I’ve heard good things about Pfluegers if you can find a cheap one there.
    4) Unless you are doing long distance casting (i.e. crankbaits, spinnerbaits, topwater), a small reel (i.e. Shimano 100 size reels) will do just fine with heavy line. A small reel is more comfortable IMO.

Good luck!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I have a pflueger that I nabbed out of the Cabela’s bargain cave a year ago. Other than a couple scratches on the outside, it was in perfect condition. I got the reel for 50 bucks and it has seen some moderate use, but not nearly as much as my curado and others, and let’s just say there is more superglue in and on that reel than I would prefer

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I was at the Gander in LaCrosse last night and the guy behind the counter suggested an Abu reel.
    sorry cannont remember the name but I believe it went around the $80-100 area. He was pretty big on them??

BTW they do not have the Swamp Donkey there yet.
    Thanks Dodge Boy for getting my hopes up just to see them SMASHED!
    I’ll get you for this, If it’s the last thing I ever do…I’ll get you!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

That would be the Revo.

Tried the Swamp Donk, I’ll stick with the Spro for now.

Greg offer to take you on a date and back out???

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I’ve tried the donkey, and I’m a definite fan. better walking/spitting action than the spro. But less durable imo.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Quote:

Greg offer to take you on a date and back out???

Mossboss, No we went out about 3 weeks ago. Things are going well..we still talk. Thanks for the consern.

jimt
    Sparta, WI

Haywood, Ace Hardware in Lacrosse has the Donkey.

bassinfever
    Wausau, WI

Cabela’s has a Diawa Advantage on sale, list $99 on sale for $59. I have 3 now and they work fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.