Mono or Braid for pitching?

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

What do you guys prefer for pitching/flipping jigs. mono or braid and what weight? I was using P-line in 15#, but it may be too heavy of a line and not getting the bites I could be getting with lighter line. But, that could also just be me second guessing myself. Opinions?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I use both. I use mostly mono but I pitch my jigs on braid most of the time and I’ll pitch a big tube on braid also in heavy stuff. I usually have absolutely no problems with 12 lb suffix siege, just rety often and keep it out of the trees is a big thing. I personally don’t like to use braid whenever possible but Sometimes it definitely is necessary. it is always fun when those bites are just magnafied like 10x on the braid, but the no stretch factor is something I don’t personally like on a short string…

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I’VE BEEN USING HEAVY FLUROCARBON WHILE PITCHING AND THE INVISABILITY FACTOR HAS DOUBLED MY BITES. BUT ALWAYS MAKE SURE YA PUT A DROP OF FISHING GLUE ON YOU KNOTS. I SUPOSE IF THE WATER IS REAL STAINED IT WON’T MAKE A DIFFERANCE BUT IF ITS CLEAR ITS THE REAL TICKET!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I love braid in milfoil. I want to get those fish up asap.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I would say #1, fish with what makes you confident. If you’re not confident, you’re screwed.

Besides that, I do both. If I can get away with mono, I will use it but I think the heavier the cover and the dingier the water, the more you can get away with braid and in vegetation I almost always use braid.

Given that, I have had braid work in some pretty clear water. I like to take a black or green marker and camo mine a bit, if anything, it makes me feel better. I used to be pretty wary of using it but with experience it seems like it’s not doing much to deter the fish.

schlankki
    otsego, mn

i use 20# seagaur invis x florocarbon for flipping its what i have confidence in.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

This is a very good post I have always wondered the pros and cons between the two and now I am getting them good one AmWatson.. I personally use Mono but have been leaning towadrs the braid and just have not figured out which brand to buy. I have a spool of Spiderwire 10lbs. stealth braid but it was given to me with alot of other left over stuff from a going outta business bait shop..

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Wats:

I like fishing with Power Pro and laying in about 6′-8′ of flourocarbon to the jig. Definitely has helped my bite.

Mark

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Line choice will come down to what feels comfortable to you. In all but the clearest waters, you should be able to get away with using braid and that is my personal choice especially in heavy cover like flipping bushes or milfoil to get the fish out as quickly as possible but I’ve got a good friend who swears by the mono. I’ve tried out some of the heavier monos and just didn’t like the feel of it so I’ll stick with what I know. I personally wouldn’t go with anything less than the 15 lb. when fishing really heavy cover. Good luck with whatever you choose

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Seaguar floro day in day out. P-pro for Tonka foil.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

This is a very good post I have always wondered the pros and cons between the two and now I am getting them good one AmWatson.. I personally use Mono but have been leaning towadrs the braid and just have not figured out which brand to buy. I have a spool of Spiderwire 10lbs. stealth braid but it was given to me with alot of other left over stuff from a going outta business bait shop..

Glenn, alittle more detail to the choices I make.

I run floro day in and out because it’s mostly invisible. The lakes I fish are primarily clear. (Like Sugar.)

The Braid comes out with the big stick when working heavy cover. As some have stated I want to move the fish in a hurry and get it out of trouble. The other up side is how well it rips foil when you need to get a jig or fish moving again. The braid almost acts like a knife.

IMO both of these line choices have better feel or sensitivity than mono. (Due to the lack of stretch.) When your fishing cover (weeds) or rock you need to feel everything you can. And I need all the help I can get.

The down side can be castability. Both lines can get away from you in a hurry if your not careful. (See post from Wats earlier. ) Again this is due to lack of stretch and additional memory. I’ve been know to have one go off in my hands from time to time. Cutting off floro can begin to hurt the pocket book in a hurry.

Hope this helps and wasn’t a complete ramble.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

30/8 PowerPro is my choice for pitching.

CR

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

I have found that different reels work better with different lines. My Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier works best with Florocarbon. My Abu 4007LP works best with 40# SpiderWire braid. The Abu Gold max seems to do best with mono. Maybe it’s just me, but I have tried all different combinations and these seem to work best.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.