How do you……

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

get these @#(* back lashes out of casting reels ? I have 2 in front of me from the tourney that are REALLY bad I had to give up on them until today. The thing I can’t figure out is how you can flip a jig 8 feet and have a backlash half way in the spool Everytime I try and fill a spool almost all the way full, this happens. So, if you hear some ear piercing screams mixed with a few colorful phrases, that will just be me I have my needlenose pliers, screwdrivers, and nail clippers ready to do battle

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

pocketknife

You could always try spinning tackle Mike….

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Back away from the baitcaster…..

Just stick to your Zebco 202, send one baitcaster to Blue and the other to me, we will fix them right for you.

Ron

shane huskey
    holmen wi

First get a bottle of holy water, a priest, and a witch doctor. Dump the holy water on the reels. Confess your sins of forgeting you own a thumb to the priest. then fill the holy water bottle with your favorite alcoholic beverage and get drunk with the witch doctor and have him put some vodoo on the line companies for making line so expensive. Then tomarrow in a haze of a hang over cut the line off and buy more. REPEAT UNTIL WINTER

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

One down and one to go. This one is getting to be a pain. I should have been a surgeon

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

That’s it??!?!??!?! That puny backlash….please tell me THAT’S the one you fixed.

I could pull that one out in my sleep.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

BTW, pull the line off the nut on the left side and the backlash should fall right out.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

They used to make a “pick”…I have a couple still in the console. It is a 3” long steel pick with a tink hook at the end…works like a charm! Never saw a birdsnest in mono I couldn’t pick out in 1-2 minutes…SuperBraid!!! thats another issue alltogether….pocketknife!

amfyoyo1
    Iowa

Yo Mike
    They are NOT Back lashes…..they are professional over runs.

A good knife and an extra spool of line would be a starter.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I got them both
    Too bad the one in the picture didn’t come out until all the line was off
    The first one I used the nail clippers with the little file with a hook end, like Tom says, works like a charm
    That mono one was impossible. Good thing I have a few spools of line laying around

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Why even worry about them if you are only pitching 8 feet
    Get your self a cane pole buddy Wats

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

This will work most of the time unless it’s terrible, terrible, terrible. Pick it out gently as much as you can. Once you can’t pick any more, put your thumb on the tangled spot and apply pressure. Now turn the reel 3 or 4 cranks and try to pull out the excess line. Most times, this will take care of it. Note: you may have more than one tangle and may need to do this more than once, but in the past five summers, I’ve only had to cut out one backlash, and that was because my partner and I got tangled up on a cast.

Fish on!

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Those things suck.. But if you tune yoyur bait caster and dont over muscle it that should resolve your issues… Now to get it out I cant help much besides start cutting and keep cutting and put new on afterwards.. It can be costly a couple of those in one summer and buying top dollar line..

lax79
    La Crosse, WI

And I am fishing with him this weekend Does anyone have a spare bicycle helmet for Mike? JK buddy.

No seriously, please help me with him. It could be a long day.

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

Quote:

One down and one to go. This one is getting to be a pain. I should have been a surgeon

You call that a backlash? I would even let my 7 year old grandson tackle that one!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You want to see a backlash give one of my walleye guide clients a bait caster and have them chuck small cranks into the wind on a wingie.

I’m was a slow learner… it took me two full guide seasons to pull the bait casters out of the boat and go to 100% spinning gear w/ clients. I don’t know how the bass guides do it with new customers day after day but it MUST get better with the bass orientated clientel.

jlallen

Ummm James have you ever heard of a Zebco…its a bass guides best friend

robby
    Quad Cities

Quote:

You want to see a backlash give one of my walleye guide clients a bait caster and have them chuck small cranks into the wind on a wingie.

I’m was a slow learner… it took me two full guide seasons to pull the bait casters out of the boat and go to 100% spinning gear w/ clients. I don’t know how the bass guides do it with new customers day after day but it MUST get better with the bass orientated clientel.

James, The baitcaster issue seems to reinforce that bass fishermen are typically more coordinated, intelligent, and better looking than their walleye angling bretheren. LOL.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Better looking!!!!???? Have you seen Blue Fleck??????

sean-lyons

Sorry Tom, sometimes the tourettes affects my posting too.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

That’s okay I firmly place the blame on your Dad’s shoulders.

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

James, The baitcaster issue seems to reinforce that bass fishermen are typically more coordinated, intelligent, and better looking than their walleye angling bretheren. LOL.

What he said!

sean-lyons

As do I!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.