Gear Ratio–Swim Jigs

• KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Anyone like a 7:1 gear ratio on their swim jig rods? I’ve always used mid-speed reels around 6.3:1, but thinking about trying a 7:1 reel this year on my swim jig setup.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’ve used it a lot and like it. Kris Brantner doesn’t use one though, because he is too busy drop shoting and wacky rigging to throw a swim jig. Look for him in the back of Deer Lake, the finger lakes in Trempeleau, or sitting on wolfies secret spot off the dike road.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Either one will work. I usually go with the 6.3:1 just so I can get it a little deeper. Personal preference in the end though.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

That’s all I use for Swim Jigs, 7:1…love it…

papala

WOW Crawdaddy, Kris must have kicked your a** at a tourney or something.

kris_brantner
    My river

Yeah not even sure who the guy is…

kris_brantner
    My river

I use just a regular 6.3/1 reel for swim jigs. Been using these new muddy river jigs lately. Good jigs. Hand tied. Guy can make a good jig. Check em out. facebook.com/MuddyRiverJigs

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

KwikStik, I don’t intend to sound like a smart . But gear ratio is really a fine tune adjustment to the user, not the bait thrown. The vast majority of people will revert to a type of muscle memory and retrieve at the same rate through most of the day. If you went out and fished for a straight 8 hours tossing the same swim jig, you would notice your retrieve would be faster for about the first hour, then very constant for the next 5 or 6, then slow down with fatigue. Having different ratios available to use throughout a day can make a difference.

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Randy, no problem and I appreciate yours and everyone’s feedback.

I just bought my first 7:1 reels this spring mainly to eat up line when speeding surface baits, flukes, jigs back to the boat after I work the productive few feet next to shore. I tend to use controlled drifts and cast-cast-cast to the pockets off the main channel as I drift by. I’m not a tournament guy, but I like to fish a lot of lure types, etc., even if my techniques aren’t so fine tuned.

Long story short, but I sold the exotic and pricy reel I had on my favorite swim jig rod to some guy (in Australia!) and wondered if the one of 7:1 reels would work out on that stick when I get off the main channel and start really covering water. Swim jigs are low resistance baits, so I know that’s not a problem, but then again I’m dialed in to 6.3:1 type reels for this, and I was wondering if a 7:1 would mess me up and/or if there were other compelling reasons to go 7:1 for swim jigs. I feel I can always learn new things from fellow river rats.

Right now I think I’m going to keep both 7:1 reels on those rods where I just want to speed it back to the boat for the next cast, and stay 6.3:1 on my swim jig rod(s).

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Got a Daiwa T3 MX on the way from Japan. Had the choice of 8:1, 7:1. or 6.3:1. Going with 6.3:1 and it will live on my favorite swim jig rod, my Daiwa Zillion 7′ MXF. my other SJ rod is a St. Croix LE 7′ MH with a Shimano Conquest 200. Of course I’ve got some other high-end goodies that can sling a swim jig pretty fair if needed.

Good fishin’ mates!

smoke grub

gear ratio, or even retrieve speed should be determined by the jig, jig volume, ( how full the jig is with skirt) and the fish’s mood.. meaning if you have fish in a negative mood, or wanting the jig dragged on the bottom, which trust me, is a COMMON OCCURRENCE.. you may not want that fast of a gear ratio.. maybe, the jig you have ‘floats” too much.. or the current dictates a slower retrieve speed.. right now, I am slowing down with a 5.1 ratio.. much less a 6.1 or 7.1 ratio.. and I am using a 3/8ths oz head, and still having ( at times) getting as deep as the fish want.. when the fish want that jig on the surface or above the weeds, gees those fast retrieves are a no brainer.. or use a lighter head.. but and this has been a real learning curve for me, when the fish want it down, that fast retrieve isn’t helping you one bit.. just one man’s opinion..

smoke grub

btw, I tie my own skirts, and yes I know they are too full at times.. some times, a bit of the times. OKAY< MOST OF THE TIMES.. but you can’t make the skirt grow, once you cut it.. roflmao..

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Randy & Smoke….. I agree
    Especially early season or after a cold front, they want that slow wiggly action from your trailer. I went from 7:1 to 6.4:1 down to 5.3:1 the past few seasons

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Trust me, I have every gear ratio covered more than once. No shortage of casting rods in my boat…

I picked up a couple Lew’s Tournament Pro 7:1’s, but I have other plans for those. I’ll stick with my tried and true 6.3:1 reels for swim jigs. Maybe I’ll even try slower based on some of the comments in this discussion.

haulin_bass

I’d stick with the 6.3:1 unless you’re looking to burn cranks or spinnerbaits then go with the 7.1:1

greghuff
    South Minneapolis, Minnesota

Quote:

Anyone like a 7:1 gear ratio on their swim jig rods? I’ve always used mid-speed reels around 6.3:1, but thinking about trying a 7:1 reel this year on my swim jig setup.

I prefer a slower gear ratio for swim jigs. Always had my best luck with them when dragging them sloooooowwwwly across the bottom. A slower gear ratio helps keep me slow (especially after I catch a couple and get excited and unconsciously begin speeding up, which happens often).

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

7:1 or 6.3:1. Doesn’t much matter between those two. What matters is the weight of the jig. It’d be better to use a heavier jig to reach deeper depths than to slow the retrieve down. Speed can and usually does trigger more bites.

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

I’ve finally been out throwing swimjigs and doing very well with Daiwa T3 MX 6.3:1 and my trusty Shimano Conquest 200. Both are plenty fast enough and the bass have been cooperating.

Funny, I’ve had this figured out for years, but these long winters just give you too much time to ponder.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.