Cranking Summer Largemouth – Part 2

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Crankbaiting mid-depth rock for late-summer largemouth bass is a great pattern to load your boat. And using Humminbird side-imaging to locate the most productive “spot on a spot,” will allow you to dial in on this pattern. In-Depth Outdoors pro-staffer Greg Huff and Skeeter Boat Center’s Justin Rowe offer tips and tactics while scoring multiple doubles on 350-acre Central Wisconsin lake in late July 2012.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Great tips for using the side image. Fun to actually drive around and see the key points to fish on a rock pile.

“More doubles than Wimbledon”

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I ran camera on this one and got to watch this young guy work through the viewfinder. He’s got a great handle on how to make use of side imaging and that function was the backbone to his ability to find the fish and put them in the boat. I’ll be volunteering to run camera for these guys again in the future… this old dog might learn a few new tricks in the process.

Great video, guys.

kroc0005

Great filming, fun to watch!

General question: Any chance next time we can get more freeze frames on the side imaging screen itself? It would be helpful for info on what the guide actually is interpreting as fish and “large boulders compared to the flat rocks.” Video seemed like 95% catching fish and only 2 minutes of actually looking at the graph.

For viewers like me without it, it would be nice to see just what is being seen as a “fish” amongst those gray mapping lines/images of the unit itself.

Thanks, keep up the great work and educational efforts!
    Jim

justin_rowe
    Chippewa Falls, WI

We can actually record a period of scanning right on the unit itself and upload it to the computer. Once you’re able to interpret the Side Image it is an awesome tool!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I shot quit a few close ups. I bet when Greg sees this he’ll put some up if they turned out.

greghuff
    South Minneapolis, Minnesota

Yep, I can do that! We encourage people to ask questing about our videos and/or ask for additional info. I’ll post some screen shots or some additional video footage. — Greg

greghuff

Reviewing the footage in the “close ups” folder now! — Greg

greghuff

Here you go CatchinWhopper:

http://youtu.be/YvT-OGsqWDY

In-Depth Outdoors pro-staffer and Skeeter Boat Center rep Justin Rowe goes “Deeper In-Depth” in this video, offering further tips for using Humminbird side-imaging to locate a productive “spot on a spot” for crank-baiting mid-depth rock for late-summer largemouth bass.

kroc0005

Love it, great visuals, we can watch Roland and bill dance catch fish all day and not learn a thing!

The more us anglers see the true benefits like this and show how to interpret, the more I think we will be inclined to purchase these spends units! Thanks for the prompt update! Keep ’em coming!

Jim

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Remember James , With age comes wisdom !!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Where do you have the transducers mounted for the SI?

-J.

justin_rowe
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Unfortunately I do not have any boats here with the transducer mounted to take a picture of. Typically, on the skeeters, we mount them on the step next to the livewell drains. We make sure to keep the bottom of the transducer about 1/2 inch above the bottom of the boat. That is where we get the best SI picture.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

You are getting very nice returns. I thought you may have had the ducer mounted on the t-motor.

-J.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.