Southern Metro help requested

• FryDog62

My 83 year old dad will be visiting in Lakeville, MN this Saturday and I’d like to take him fishing. Would be great, but I’m a little leery of all the water skiers and PWC’s on weekends. I have a 16 foot tiller, so I’m wondering if anyone can suggest a small lake (with hopefully lots of bass ) where maybe there’s little or no boat traffic due to a small ramp or limited access. I’m not from that area so I’m a little clueless but want to show him a good time. Any suggestions? Thank you!

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Take him on Marion, go to the NW Corner and then under 35, with the high water should be some good fishing back there.

On many other lakes, just go early morning, then back home by 9:30 for a nap

mfreeman451

pickup a map, or check with the DNR lakefinder, and go scout out some of these spots for yourself.

Jake_A

Sounds like mfreeman451 is the master fisherman and has never asked for help himself… if you wanna be like that…type in http://www.lake-link.com. Many people over there like you

I wish I knew the metro area, but I am from WI….

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I would be prepared to face lots of traffic on Marion. This lake is an absolute zoo on the weekends if it’s nice out.

Check your PM’s, I listed a couple to try that are not over run with PWC’s and ski boats.

Good luck!

stuart
    Mn.

Was out on Marion on Monday trying to break in my new motor.I will not go back until cold weather gets the fools out of the ramp.
    I would pick up my Pop’s and head on down the freeway to the Fairabault area.Check out Kelly-Duddly or Lake Mazaska for bass,both have very little pleasure craft and are loaded with largemouth.
    Best of luck to you and your father.Post some pictures!

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

You could try Fish Lake just south of Prior Lake. I have fished there a couple times and caught some bass and pike. Google Fish Lake Scott County MN and you can get a map and directions. Throw spinnerbaits or jigs with twister tails and you are bound to catch something. Good Luck

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Kelly Dudley also has a lot of pike.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Quote:

pickup a map, or check with the DNR lakefinder, and go scout out some of these spots for yourself.

Jake… I thought the same thing. I spend enough time on that other site that smart replies like that don’t even get noticed, but here, I think that is one of the first. Please, if there is a moderator, send this guy packing. This is a great site because comments like that don’t exist.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I would recommend Orchard it is right in Lakeville. Just take 35 to Co Rd 50 go west and it’s only a couple of miles. Fish the reed island. Then go to Gander Mountain and spend all your money and have lunch at the Cracker Barrel. Fleet Farm is across the Hwy.

mfreeman451

I thought I offered up pretty good advice. Considering the fact that the MN DNR lakefinder service offers up recent stocking and lake survey information, giving you a good idea of lakes with fish and those without, combined with some old-fashioned fishing, shouldn’t be too hard to find what you’re looking for.

That’s a lot better than pointing out specific bodies of water on the Internet where it is being read by hundreds of people every day. There will be probably 20-30 people that if they didn’t know about the spot on Marion before, will now be hovering around there.

Which is better?

Quote:

Sounds like mfreeman451 is the master fisherman and has never asked for help himself… if you wanna be like that…type in http://www.lake-link.com. Many people over there like you

I wish I knew the metro area, but I am from WI….

Jake_A

Hmmm, pretty sure its called a PM, mfreeman451 Anywho, if western WI wouldn’t be too far of a drive, I know of a few spots that might produce

like_mike-ike
    Burnsville, Minnesota

Oh, I’m pretty sure that I have seen some similar posts from this same Mfreeman. I agree, dude needs to go, or at least be friendly. I think the days of keeping a lake secret are gone. Thus the importance of selective harvest.

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

I would say i have to agree with mfreeman451. I really do not think he was giving this fella’ a hard time. How many spots that you all are pointing out will be the spot your going to this weekend? …tossing up some of the most known waters does not really help this guy either. Personally i would never ask this question about where to go. Why? Becuase i know i would be sent to a zoo, just like you all deacribed. I can’t speak for the pm’s sent….but i still bet your not giving this guy your go to spot.

Hes prolly better off looking at lakefinder. I have found many limited access spots with no skiing and recreation that are much more suitable for what hes looking for…

I just laughed when i saw fish lake and marion posted. We all know they will be zoos this weekend just like every other…

Dont mean to side or offend. Good luck with your old man! I dont think it will matter how many fish or what lake. Just that your out together

mfreeman451

I need to go because I gave someone the best advice in this entire thread? Settle down there..

Quote:

Oh, I’m pretty sure that I have seen some similar posts from this same Mfreeman. I agree, dude needs to go, or at least be friendly. I think the days of keeping a lake secret are gone. Thus the importance of selective harvest.

Jake_A

YOu’re the one who fishes the city ponds and takes fish from the kids, right?

mfreeman451

hahah.. don’t be giving away my secrets now.. jeesh.

like_mike-ike
    Burnsville, Minnesota

Well, don’t let the door hit ya.

mfreeman451

and btw where did you get this idea of selective harvest? sounds good on paper but do you really think it’s being practiced? Most fisherman are taking every damn thing they can home with them from the lakes and rivers.

Jake_A

As my grandpa would say….”REEEAAAALLL NICE, must be a winner.” Its because of sites like this that people practice selective harvest and catch and release…like I said, http://www.lake-link.com has a home for you

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

How bout we all just relax. It seems that if anyone has an opinion other than sending a guy to some well know spot,you just want to kick him out? I dont personally know this freeman dude but his advice was logical and informative. Seems to me you few sorry fellas get all hurt from someone not throwing a steak on someones plate…as for anyones g-pa goes, he would have prolly done the same thing as mfreeman451. Ever tried asking an old timer where to fish?? My guess is not

Give this guy a break and just enjoy learning on your own. That is part of the fun right?…am i right?

mnwalleyeangler

Quote:

How bout we all just relax. It seems that if anyone has an opinion other than sending a guy to some well know spot,you just want to kick him out? I dont personally know this freeman dude but his advice was logical and informative. Seems to me you few sorry fellas get all hurt from someone not throwing a steak on someones plate…as for anyones g-pa goes, he would have prolly done the same thing as mfreeman451. Ever tried asking an old timer where to fish?? My guess is not

Give this guy a break and just enjoy learning on your own. That is part of the fun right?…am i right?

Is there a like button!!! I personaly take most information given on the internet with a grain of salt unless its from a reliable source. To many people out there that will steer people in the wrong direction just to keep” their” secret spot a secret.Yes those kind of people are out there and im sure are on this site as well as others so saying he should go to lake-link was ignorant. I personaly would of and have before mentioned the dnr lakefinder and the recieving party was thankful for it because they didnt have a clue about it and is actualy more informative to me than someone just giving me a lake name.

Lake x has good bass fishing, but the dnr lake finder says lake y has a very good year class from 2003-2007 with alot of fish with an average size of 3.6 lbs and was stocked the past 12 years. Which seems more informative to you????

mfreeman451

Ryan has a point, my posting may have come off a little snide. I was trying to be helpful though.. here is me being helpful again:

MN DNR Lake Finder

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly it’s not bad advice at all. I can’t tell you how many good lakes I’ve found using the tools freeman described. A more kind delivery of that info and this thread wouldn’t be going in the chitter.

Well said Ryan.

stuart
    Mn.

FryDog Sorry this thread went to the crapper so fast.I hope it doesn’t turn you off to IDO.It is a great place to get info.

Some guys are just Dickheads.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

And the cycle starts back up and continues…

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

Ryan has a point, my posting may have come off a little snide. I was trying to be helpful though.. here is me being helpful again:

MN DNR Lake Finder

I think you have to look at the situation, he’s taking an old man out soon and wants to get on the right lake the first time.

That warrants help if people are willing to give it.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

Quote:

And the cycle starts back up and continues…

The guy asks a straight forward question on his second post and his thread gets high jacked and turned to crap. WHY? I stand by my term Corey,if you don’t like it too bad boy.

mfreeman451

Or he made this whole thing up just to get some free handouts from suckers on the Internet.. either way there are tools for people to discover and explore our resources here in Minnesota, and I think that’s the best place to start.

Quote:

Quote:

MN DNR Lake Finder

I think you have to look at the situation, he’s taking an old man out soon and wants to get on the right lake the first time.

That warrants help if people are willing to give it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.