Sources for Scrap Lead??

• B-man

Anybody have a good source or have some laying around??

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Check with some local plumbing shops. Scrap/recycling shops might have lead they’ll sell. Lead is getting hard to find, especially the pure, soft lead. I have plenty now and sometime have people come over to swap lead for jigs and other tackle so I’ll keep you in mind.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

If you know any old dirt track racers they may have some lead laying around and willing to part with. I got a 50lb brick from my uncle a few years back. He used to race wissota super stocks.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Technically I have some lead laying around devil

brushhog80

Where are you located? I have a bunch you can have

big_g
    Isle, MN

Check tire shops too…

B-man

Check tire shops too…

I have, but lead tire weights have been banned in MN…..My local tire shop that I use said it wouldn’t even be worth my time to grab the few they have.

I’m sure there’s some out there, but not like it used to be.

sji

How many pounds are you looking for? I will be reclaiming some later this summer.

B-man

How many pounds are you looking for? I will be reclaiming some later this summer.

As much as possible waytogo

My buddy and I just got a new 15lb downrigger mold, she really eats the lead lol

If someone said they could get me 1,000 pounds I’d take every ounce. I have a feeling that in 20 years it will be a controlled substance or illegal to have lol

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    Check tire shops too…

I have, but lead tire weights have been banned in MN…..My local tire shop that I use said it wouldn’t even be worth my time to grab the few they have.

I’m sure there’s some out there, but not like it used to be.

Definitely NOT worth the time or potential negative health effects. Even if you get free ones. Many wheel weights are painted and you really don’t know all the chemicals that are potentially in those things. I went through a 5 gallon pail full. Never again.

404 ERROR
    MN

If you’re really ambitious, you can always reclaim it from car batteries. It’s not as dangerous as it sounds, just extremely time consuming…Soak everything in baking soda/water and be sure to neutralize the acid before disposing of it. The water in car batteries is only about 30% sulfuric acid. Enough to cause irritation, but still easy to neutralize.

Would I recommend? No, it’s too much work. But it can be done.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you’re really ambitious, you can always reclaim it from car batteries. It’s not as dangerous as it sounds, just extremely time consuming…Soak everything in baking soda/water and be sure to neutralize the acid before disposing of it. The water in car batteries is only about 30% sulfuric acid. Enough to cause irritation, but still easy to neutralize.

Would I recommend? No, it’s too much work. But it can be done.

I did a lot of research on this. This is exactly what I heard. I also heard the usable lead from a battery is much much less than you would think.

404 ERROR
    MN

I did a lot of research on this. This is exactly what I heard. I also heard the usable lead from a battery is much much less than you would think.

There’s more lead in the jumpers and terminals than in the plates, if that means anything. By jumpers, I mean the lead bars that connect all 6 cells in a 12v LA battery. But if you’re ripping a battery apart, throwing plates in the landfill that still have lead in them is irresponsible.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

There’s a guy in the Rhinelander area advertising on FBs marketplace selling lead ingots. Looks like he’s poured a pile of it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Wheel weights… my techs melt them down all the time, you wouldn’t believe the amount of lead that is ending up in the ocean down here…. 3-5 oz at a time, snagged in the rocks. just what I see.

Deleted

Scrap yards get $1-$2 a lb last I checked and that ain’t ingots, it’s whatever chunks they get.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.