• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Kdrill…

Attachments:
    1. 20180203_194700.jpg

Tim

What happened?

Bass_attack

Same thing happened to me and it’s almost impossible to keep the handle on now. This evening on mille lacs the handle fell off towards the bottom of the hole and spun my wrist around. Feel like sending it in to Milwaukee…

Brady Valberg

Buddy’s did that too…cost him like 60$ and it was a month old….thats y i went dewalt

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Buddy’s did that too…cost him like 60$ and it was a month old….thats y i went dewalt

A month old and they didn’t warranty it?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I would guess that turning an ice auger is outside of normal use as defined by Milwaukee.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I would guess that turning an ice auger is outside of normal use as defined by Milwaukee.

That’s a good question. Drilling is drilling one would think? If I was a drill taking on 18″ of ice would be alot easier than what they may see on some jobsites drilling concrete.

PmB

Makita+ nils

Ryan Wilson

Same thing happened to mine on an 8” Lazer. A bunch of other guys are having the same issues on the latest models. I bought a clam plate and couldn’t be happier with its performance. I’ve emailed Milwaukee (got mine last October) and they told me to send it in with the attached fedex label and never mentioned a price for anything. I have yet to send it in because it’s still ice season and I’m not hand drilling holes…

looks like a clam plate is in your future. The same thing will just keep happening with replacements. You will like them if you can find one. However, if you go slower you don’t really need the handle or the plate so you should at least be able to fish some more.

catnip
    south metro

No experience with the drills but a guy at work has the impact guns and while they have a ton of power they seem fragile. He tipped one over and it fell 1 foot to the ground and the battery broke apart. Then the smaller 3/8 gun exploded the nose cone. Both were covered under the 5 year warranty, took about 5 weeks to get back. Great expensive tools if you use them in a pillow factory.

catmando
    wis

This was my fault, didn’t have the handle on ,two lazy I guess, I had some loose fitting gloves on, well somehow gloves got wrapped in the drill chuck, damm near took my thumb off, at least it felt like it.,Been a month and it still isn’t right. Put them handles on those drills. Dan.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m sure the batteries are made for Milwaukee, I wouldn’t consider that a Milwaukee problem.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

We run Milwaukee impacts and drills on our job site , few years back boss had just purchased the new impacts and drill and the impact driver took a fall off the 3 story roof , must’ve landed just right but no problems with it at all .still use it to this day and they are prolly 5 years old now and have been dropped or fallen to many times to count

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Yea this is my first and only complaint about the kdrill so far – gets a bit tricky when the ice gets super thick. The torque on these drills is crazy; I think a clam plate is in my future.

Do i need to buy an adapter for the clam+kdrill, or is there a part that comes off the kdrill?

CBMN
    North Metro

Yea this is my first and only complaint about the kdrill so far – gets a bit tricky when the ice gets super thick. The torque on these drills is crazy; I think a clam plate is in my future.

Do i need to buy an adapter for the clam+kdrill, or is there a part that comes off the kdrill?

You will need an adapter. Clam makes one and kdrill makes one. I have the clam adapter on my drill plate and so far it has been great. I have heard that the kdrill adaptot is made to a bit tighter tolerances but have no experience with it. I’m also going to modify the clam extension they make for the drill plate so that it can be used with the kdrill.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would say this is true regardless of brand.

Look, guys, chucking in a giant auger to ANY cordless drill is gonna bust things. Simple as that. Have you guys ever seen the guts of a cordless drill? All those little tiny gears and bearings, all contained in a plastic and maybe partially metal housing.

These machines simply are NOT made for this kind of high-torque drilling at a relatively high speed where sudden binds can occur. Bad stuff is going to happen. I’m not saying you can’t do it, just don’t be surprised when stuff busts because this is outside of what these things are designed for.

My father got tired of twisting lug nuts on when rotating tires on his RV so he had the brilliant idea to chuck a socket into his cordless drill to spin the lugs at least snug. Well that worked great until he built up speed with about the third one and then it stopped suddenly and SNAP. He broke the drill off right where the handle joins the body. And then he was upset at the drill… they don’t make these things worth a damn anymore these days…

Grouse

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I agree grouse. I have no complaints. Worst case I could go through 4 Milwaukee drills and not eclipse the cost of one ion x. I went to this system for ease of use, and I still need a drill anyway for residential life tasks.

And my, 2 stroke, second hand jiffy owes me nothing. It has been a reliable, consistently starting auger whose only downside is being a bit heavy. Not ready to part with it quite yet.

Andrew Pansch

I didn’t even see this post when I made an identical one. Same thing happened to me this weekend. I thought I could go without the clam plate but once the ice got this thick I think it’s needed.

Loren I Duerr

just switched to Mil/fuel and put it on clam plate to Nils. it was a great move used dewault brushless 20 for 1 1/3 years dewault started smelling funny when drilling. Not enough torque?

Brandon P

Mine did the same thing least season, and they wouldnt warranty it. Bought the clam plate this year and i love it. Lots less torque and saved my already destroyed shoulders!

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Huh, our local authorized repair is still warrantying them – takes 2 to 3 weeks though. He did say that he wondered how long milwaukee would continue to do this.

I gotta wonder though, if they dont want thier drills used for this why are they distributing them to kdrill, who sells them as combo packs? And why do they distrubute fuel drills to Joes Sporting Goods (not a hardware store) who has them stocked above the kdrills? Do they let anyone sell thier product, or just not know? Can kdrill keep using thier brand name in materials without some permission/agreement?

At any rate, i won’t be using the handle again on my repaired drill. Time to bust out the jiffy until clam plates return…

roger

using the drill for an auger is ok for about a foot of ice. when you get serious ice they are too weak imo. I use it with a 6 in kdril and the 2 1/2 to 3ft of ice it struggles. it works but that’s it. that is the 2704-22 drill. handle is weak. If it was a wrap around like the hitachi it might be better. The ion is much better but thick ice gas is still the boss in imo.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Yea, I’m not ready to give up for a wheelhouse 8″ drill. I think if I had cleared the holes a lot more it would have been fine (got too lazy just watching the chips rise and pushing them down at about 22″ish ice.) But if you don’t clear enough, and it grabs, f@ck that – I want a clam plate or new wrists.

Run and gun much over 2′, yea, I want gas. But, run and gun anything, I would want gas.

I just don’t drill enough holes for an ion, and I hate having batteries that sit around 8 months of the year. I use a drill regularly even as a typical homeowner.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.