So.. Looking a new Depth finder that is under $400.00 and has mapping.

• Charles

So.. Looking a new Depth finder that is under $400.00 and has mapping, any suggesting?

Been thinking the Helix 5 DI/GPS with a lake master chip. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Been thinking the Helix 5 DI/GPS with a lake master chip. Any other suggestions?

If you’re okay with bird that’s a good way to go. That can be found for around $50 off if you’re patient. Seen it a few times this year at Cabelas.

I have the predecessor, 597ci HD DI, and have been happy.

Charles

Hm I just checking ebay and I see the Lowrance elite 7 is just under the $400 mark with transducer, so how are the maps on those?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What kind of mapping are you looking for? If it’s lake maps you seek Garmin is the only one I’m aware of with maps installed. Otherwise you’ll need to purchase a chip as well, which puts most units well above the $400 new mark.

The 597 which I had as well was a dinosaur for processor speed. Helix 5 was much better. At that price point I’d play with a couple in store and go for it. Thought I saw Garmin 53dv in Fleet Farm for around that price clearance, might check it out.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Fleet Farm has the Helix 7 sonar/gps on sale for $399. Maybe save over the winter for the chip.
    I know the Helix 5 is very affordable but the screen just seems so small, big difference going to the 7 other than the obvious 2″ difference. I picked up the Helix 7 w/DI and really like it.

I obviously don’t know your financial situation but if you could stretch the $$ and get a 7″ screen you’d be very happy in the long run.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Have you checked the refurbished units? Usually a couple hundred $$ cheaper and still have a warranty.

Charles

Fleet Farm has the Helix 7 sonar/gps on sale for $399. Maybe save over the winter for the chip.
    I know the Helix 5 is very affordable but the screen just seems so small, big difference going to the 7 other than the obvious 2″ difference. I picked up the Helix 7 w/DI and really like it.

I obviously don’t know your financial situation but if you could stretch the $$ and get a 7″ screen you’d be very happy in the long run.

So I wasn’t loosing my mind I thought I saw that fleetfarm had the garmin and helix on sale, I am going to have to look this weekend. But I wasn’t sure where I saw them. This is going to be a basic unit for my little 14′ boat so I am not looking to fancy.

Super_do, any places you recommend that sell refurbished depth finders?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I don’t know where the price point will be but here is a new lower $ option. I can’t seem to find anything about when shipping will begin.

“Humminbird® Launches HELIX™ 5 G2 with CHIRP and AutoChart® Live

Second generation of the compact HELIX 5 family features CHIRP, AutoChart® Live, SmartStrike™ and updated user interface.

RACINE, WI. (October 12, 2016) – Humminbird® is pleased to announce the HELIX™ 5 G2 units, the second generation of the Humminbird HELIX 5, bringing anglers new features and a compelling value. The GPS units in the family all come pre-loaded with AutoChart® Live and are compatible with all Humminbird LakeMaster® charts, including SmartStrike™. In addition, the new units include digital sonar, Side Imaging and Down Imaging capabilities that have been enhanced through the use of CHIRP operating frequencies.

All units feature the original HELIX 5’s best-in-class, ultra-bright 5-inch diagonal HD widescreen color display and professional features, but also include a new updated user interface.

“Easy viewing and operation are now only part of the story,” says Humminbird Brand Manager, Ray Schaffart. “With the new HELIX 5 G2 we decided to deliver flagship Humminbird fish-finding technologies like CHIRP digital sonar, AutoChart® Live and Smart Strike™ at an accessible price point, giving more anglers state-of-the-art capabilities. Now, fishermen are not limited to what they can do because of screen size.””

Charles

I don’t know where the price point will be but here is a new lower $ option. I can’t seem to find anything about when shipping will begin.

“Humminbird® Launches HELIX™ 5 G2 with CHIRP and AutoChart® Live

Second generation of the compact HELIX 5 family features CHIRP, AutoChart® Live, SmartStrike™ and updated user interface.

RACINE, WI. (October 12, 2016) – Humminbird® is pleased to announce the HELIX™ 5 G2 units, the second generation of the Humminbird HELIX 5, bringing anglers new features and a compelling value. The GPS units in the family all come pre-loaded with AutoChart® Live and are compatible with all Humminbird LakeMaster® charts, including SmartStrike™. In addition, the new units include digital sonar, Side Imaging and Down Imaging capabilities that have been enhanced through the use of CHIRP operating frequencies.

All units feature the original HELIX 5’s best-in-class, ultra-bright 5-inch diagonal HD widescreen color display and professional features, but also include a new updated user interface.

“Easy viewing and operation are now only part of the story,” says Humminbird Brand Manager, Ray Schaffart. “With the new HELIX 5 G2 we decided to deliver flagship Humminbird fish-finding technologies like CHIRP digital sonar, AutoChart® Live and Smart Strike™ at an accessible price point, giving more anglers state-of-the-art capabilities. Now, fishermen are not limited to what they can do because of screen size.””

Dang man, that is crazy cool they are offering that, I am wondering if they are going to be offering networking on these devices then.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

applause Charles I know you can network a Helix and core units. I think but not sure it it includes the “5”.

Just don’t hit the pay button yet, they will be doubling the offer if you become the first 100 buyers! jester

Charles

Yeah I think going to stick with a 7″, since I can use that device on a new boat for a navigation unit.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I believe this will happen to all the Helix units as it did when they were first introduced in the last couple of years.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Dang man, that is crazy cool they are offering that, I am wondering if they are going to be offering networking on these devices then.
    [/quote]

I was just on the ‘bird site this morning, looking for that information, and it mentions NOTHING about being networkable.

HRG

Charles

I was just on the ‘bird site this morning, looking for that information, and it mentions NOTHING about being networkable.

HRG
    [/quote]

I saw that two…Oh well.

Charles

Well I been looking, I think I am going to go with a Helix 7.

Still kicking the tires between DI and just getting the Basic GPS and Sonar, I figure in 4-5 years I will be getting a different boat so I can use the this one for a GPS device with a larger screen next to it. But if I can get a deal with DI I think I will pull the trigger on that.

The Helix 5 in my opinion is way to damn small.

Kollin Gosney

I have yet to use my Lowrance Elite 4, but I have heard great things about it. The one I got from Amazon was $220. It has sonar and Lakemaster compatibility. I’ll keep you updated as I use it soon.

Jonesy

Not sure if you bought one yet but cabelas has the Garmin Echomap 73sv for sale at 499. That’s a lot of unit for that price.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Not sure if you bought one yet but cabelas has the Garmin Echomap 73sv for sale at 499. That’s a lot of unit for that price.

Thats a great unit. Buddy has one and when I up-grade my 2009 vintage HDS units I will be going with Garmin!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.