Snap or Tie direct

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

When fishing Jerk or Crank baits do you prefer to use a snap or do your tie direct to eye? I have almost always used a snap but had someone tell me he feels he gets better action by tying direct. For those of you who use snaps, What style and brand of snaps do you prefer to use. I use to always use a Duolock snap, but last year I started using a Crankbait snap made by VMC and I like it a lot. This snap has more of a teardrop shape on the lure side and I think it allows the lure to move around more and work much better. For those of you who prefer to tie direct – What knots do you use? I’ve tried the rapala knot and it seems to work well. Kind of hard to get the loop the correct size but I am sure if I tied it more often it would get easier.

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

Snap. Easier to switch out different baits and better action (unless using a loose knot like the Rapala knot).

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I use snaps for 2 reasons.
    1) I switch baits a lot
    2) I believe snaps allow the lure to move freer
    The action of your lure will be affected by the snap weight.
    I look for different things in my snaps depending on if I am walleye, pike, or musky fishing.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Snap the correct size to not affect bouyancy. As stated, easy to swap out.

Never had luck with any loop knots. Probably just me, but snaps are even easier.

zooks

Snap the correct size to not affect bouyancy. As stated, easy to swap out.

Never had luck with any loop knots. Probably just me, but snaps are even easier.

Same for me – easier to switch plus no matter how much I’ve practiced, loop knots are not my friend.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Snap for me also. I use fairly small ones so that the least amount of hardware is showing, but never had a problem or anyone consistently out-fish me that was tying direct.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

snap, never took that time to learn the rapala or loop knots…

Mark

404 ERROR
    MN

Snap for me. I change baits too often to not use one…

I use snaps on all my 3-way rigs also, including the dropper weights. Tie a handful up the night before and a quick change is easy if you want to change presentations or need to replace a weight. The price begins to add up, but I like to maximize my fishing time while on the water.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I use snaps on all cranks for trolling but I usually tie my jerk baits direct to the split ring. I doubt it matters much, that’s just what I’m comfortable with. Just use a small snap so it’s not effecting the balance or action of the bait.

Dan Baker

I like the snaps. I have switched styles of snaps a bit. I used to use a snap swivel, but they broke on me occasionally. I then switched to the VMC snaps and haven’t an issue. I also want to be able to switch frequently and don’t want to fool with knots.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I like the snaps too.

If you don’t have snaps and want a good loop knot that easy to tie, this knot is quick and easy. I use it when fishing streamers and big topwaters when I’m fly fishing.

S.R.

Attachments:
    1. non-slip-loop-knot-2.jpg

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

One thing I would like to add, I buy my snaps with a swivel. I don’t like to use the swivel with the snap (for walleye) because it adds weight but not price. I just take the swivel off for use later.

huntinforfish

Snap here as well. Quick changes and I believe almost all crank mfgs recommend wither a loop knot or snap…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Snap. If I run out of snaps I go home. doah

I wear Velcro shoes as well.

huskerdu

Gill, you r not that old !

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

Dutch,
    With everyone posting that they use snaps have they changed your mind ?
    By the way, I use snaps unless there is a split ring already attached.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I do both – it depends on the situation.

If it is on a rod that is solely used for casting and has braid, I use a snap.

If it is a situation where I’m on vacation or with someone else where I don’t have a dozen rods for each application like I keep in my boat, then I’ll tie direct. When tying direct, I do not use any sort of loop knot.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Palomar knot changed my life for ease of tying, but man snaps are convenient

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.