Smoker Thermometer

• riverruns
    Inactive

We built a 6X8 smoker that is 4′ wide. We have it mounted on a trailer for ease of bringing it out of the shed for smoking and then putting it back in for storage. Completely insulated. I was using a 2 prong Maverick wireless monitor to watch both the temp of the air in the unit and the temp of the meat. This unit is crappy at best for me. Does anyone have a recommendation for a wireless temp gauge that I could monitor both the internal temp of the air inside the smoker and the internal temp of the meat in the smoker? I would like to be able to read the temp right outside the smoker (mounted on the smoker) and on a controller I would have in my garage? Thanks. Shawn

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I like the Maverick ET-732 for what you describe. I use the Thermapen for instant read.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I also use the Maverick ET7 and am very happy with it. It says the wireless monitor will work from 100′ but that is under perfect, straight line, no walls condition. I’m sure there is one out there that would meet your requirements but for what price? I see Ivation has a long range wireless and iGrill2 has a wireless bluetooth with a supposed 150’range that will handle 4 probes for about a $100.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Got questions, here’s a great place to get answers. http://www.quetopiabbq.com

They’re located in Minnetonka and Tony is the owner. Very friendly and knowledgeable, highly recommend. In fact was just down there at lunch getting a gift for my soon to be retired boss.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Do you ever look at this site for smoking reviews?

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometer-reviews?field_manufacturer_thermo_target_id=All&field_thermometer_function_tid%5B%5D=41&field_thermometer_function_tid%5B%5D=42&field_thermometer_function_tid%5B%5D=43&sort_by=weight&sort_order=ASC

When I was looking for one for my smoker I really liked the igrill2, you can have up to 4 probs which would be good for such a large of smoker you have. has Bluetooth capability so you can see it right from your phone. Amazingribs.com gave it a good review but it looks like they have a recent recall on their newer probs. not sure if that has been fixed it.

I ended up getting an Auber because it fit my needs and wants better however it probably wouldnt work as well for what you are looking to do.

Definitely cant go wrong with the BBQ Guru but I think its really overkill for what you need.

riverruns
    Inactive

Got questions, here’s a great place to get answers. http://www.quetopiabbq.com
    They’re located in Minnetonka and Tony is the owner. Very friendly and knowledgeable, highly recommend. In fact was just down there at lunch getting a gift for my soon to be retired boss.

Thanks. I will give them a call tomorrow.

riverruns
    Inactive

rkd-jimParticipant
    Fountain City, WI.Posts: 1,447

December 15, 2015 at 7:41 am

I also use the Maverick ET7 and am very happy with it. It says the wireless monitor will work from 100′ but that is under perfect, straight line, no walls condition. I’m sure there is one out there that would meet your requirements but for what price? I see Ivation has a long range wireless and iGrill2 has a wireless bluetooth with a supposed 150’range that will handle 4 probes for about a $100.

Jim I had what you have and was not satisfied with the probes and the fact that they cannot be under water. Also your not suppose to get moisture on the unit. The probes that come with the unit are only 3′. They sell the 6′ probes as an option. I am looking for something with at least 6′ probes and will be able to withstand the heat and moisture while smoking. Thanks for all the replys and keep them coming. Thanks. Shawn

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.