Smoked venison brats

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ground up and stuffed and twisted some veny brats over the weekend. Cold smoked with apple wood.

145 lbs of smoked brats later and this is the best smelling cooler in the county.
    Cold smoked for 50 minutes and then let cure in cooler for 24 hours.

Plus a bonus 60 pounds of maple breakfast sausage. My ground up deer is all done and filled my freezer

Attachments:
    1. 20181208_125255.jpg

2. 20181208_125046.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I can tell you I just boiled a 5 pack of them in some brewski and dang. My house smells amazing, and these things are the real deal. Itll be tough to ever buy a store bought brat again.

riverruns
    Inactive

Nice job. Nothing better than doing your own. toast

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Looks delicious! Mine’s in the works as well. Summer sausage. I need a new stuffer. Northern has a nice one on sale I might have to pull the trigger on.

Attachments:
    1. 51093.jpeg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That’s a lot of twisting bearcat. They look great.

Nice looking summer sausage too belletaine.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I bought a 3/4 horse Hobart grinder at auction for really cheap and then my grandpa gave me his dads old hand crank stuffer. It holds near 15lbs of meat at a time and has 3 size nozzles. It’s a chore but it does its job. And it’s fun that once a year to always talk about how much meat this thing has gone threw over the years.

I’m afraid with a new electric stuffer, when stuffing brats if I have a blow out by the time I stop it I’ll loose so much meat out and have a mess. Especially when I do snack sticks.

I have never done summer sausage but next year i will try

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks tom I appreciate it. If any one knows the work it takes it would be your self.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

These pics bring back 35yr old memories of venni sausage made by a roommate who owned a meat market with his dad on lake street in mpls. Without question my favorite kind of sausage but haven’t had it since.
    Is there a place to buy fresh venni sausage/brats within 50 miles of Minnetonka?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m afraid with a new electric stuffer, when stuffing brats if I have a blow out by the time I stop it I’ll loose so much meat out and have a mess. Especially when I do snack sticks.

Get a foot control switch if you get a power stuffer. On the snack sticks use 19mm “smoked” casings. These are the “standard” for snack sticks and are tougher than the standard collagen casings both smaller and larger….way tougher than sheep casings.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

These pics bring back 35yr old memories of venni sausage made by a roommate who owned a meat market with his dad on lake street in mpls. Without question my favorite kind of sausage but haven’t had it since.
    Is there a place to buy fresh venni sausage/brats within 50 miles of Minnetonka?

I have never seen any where myself, but if you ever come to the north branch area I have a few packages I would part with.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Get a foot control switch if you get a power stuffer. On the snack sticks use 19mm “smoked” casings. These are the “standard” for snack sticks and are tougher than the standard collagen casings both smaller and larger….way tougher than sheep casings.

that sounds logical. I’ve never made brats, just bought a book on making sausage. Very interesting!

deertracker

Those look awesome. I need to learn to make those myself.
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Those look awesome. I need to learn to make those myself.
    DT

It’s more time and energy consuming then anything.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Got em in the smoker!

Bearcat, it is time consuming! Well worth it though. I give them out for Christmas.

Attachments:
    1. 20180218_160403.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

belletaine, are your SS tubes a 2 1/2 x 20″? They run about 3 lbs each? 28 tubes is a lot of Summer Sausage!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Got em in the smoker!

Bearcat, it is time consuming! Well worth it though. I give them out for Christmas.

Hopefully I’m on your Christmas list because those look delicious

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Ground up and stuffed and twisted some veny brats over the weekend. Cold smoked with apple wood.

145 lbs of smoked brats later and this is the best smelling cooler in the county.
    Cold smoked for 50 minutes and then let cure in cooler for 24 hours.

Did you add cure and what was the internal temp at the end of the 50 minutes?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dont know the internal temp. Just smoked for flavor. Still completely raw and need to be cooked or boiled in beer

riverruns
    Inactive

You won’t need cure if you did what bearcat did.

Just adding some smoke won’t hurt. Keep the heat away from it. If your going to start adding heat and start smoking and heating up the meat then you’ll want cure.

I personally wouldn’t have put them into a cooler. I would have hung them to cool and dry. If they didn’t get heat and warmed up I wouldn’t worry about it. They’ll be just fine.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I personally wouldn’t have put them into a cooler. I would have hung them to cool and dry. If they didn’t get heat and warmed up I wouldn’t worry about it. They’ll be just fine.
    [/quote]

I dont cure or salt them. And I put them in the cooler the just soak the flavor in. The meat hangs about 4 feet above the wood. No heat is given to them at all.
    I’ve been doing it this way a while and they turn out delicious

riverruns
    Inactive

I dont cure or salt them. And I put them in the cooler the just soak the flavor in. The meat hangs about 4 feet above the wood. No heat is given to them at all.

waytogo toast

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

belletaine, are your SS tubes a 2 1/2 x 20″? They run about 3 lbs each? 28 tubes is a lot of Summer Sausage!

Good eye Denny! About 2.8ib’s. Cut them in thirds. It’s a job for sure, scales & jugs of spices etc.. Great excuse to be …A-in the garage & B-outside.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I do mine with the same size except I cut mine into 1/4’s and vac every one.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Belletaine…..what brand of seasoning do you use? Your reference to jugs has Sausagemaker coming to mind.

43 degrees and bright sun here in Roch right now. I’ve been tending to bird feeders because A. they need tending to and B. I want to be outside enjoying the day. Thankfully Ma is at one of the high schools watching our Granddaughters dance team kick and jump around INDOORS while I am really loving it outside as much as possible. I set a patio chair in the driveway so I can watch the eye candy walking on the park trail. And there is definitely eye candy today. Shorts even.

riverruns
    Inactive

[/quote]

When you say cure them or salt them what do you mean? Cure and salt are really 2 different things. I understand no cure. You also have no salt in the brats at all?

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Hot smoked wild rice bacon venison brats and venison Kielbasa this weekend.

Attachments:
    1. 20181216_155455.jpg

riverruns
    Inactive

Hot smoked wild rice bacon venison brats and venison Kielbasa this weekend.[/quote

That looks awesome! waytogo

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Belletaine…..what brand of seasoning do you use? Your reference to jugs has Sausagemaker coming to mind.

I have gotten some items from them, Tom. The guy I make it with grows mustard seed, he’s a real purist!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.