Smoked Deer Hind Quarter

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

Has any one ever done one, bone in?
    Friend of mine is asking me to do one for him.
    My only experience in smoking deer is summer sausage, bacon wrapped loins and burgers if I remember.

I appreciate the help!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Done quite a few over the years

My favorite way is to marinate 24hrs in a vacuum bag. I have access to commercial chamber unit. I use an olive oil base and that makes a HUGE difference on moisture.
    I’ve injected them, but it seems like the seasoning never disperses out.

Inner leg facing up on the rack @ 250 for 2.5 hrs with moderate smoke (I combine Cherry and Apple for a medium smoke flavor). Then I drop in a roasting pan with couple cups of Beef Broth and half stick of butter – covered and back in @ 250-275 until internal is minimal 155-160

Set back on the rack with smoke for 20-40 minutes @300ish to crust up the outer edges and burn some ends.

This method gives me a combination of burnt ends, tender sliced, pulled….

my favorite is to take left overs after carving up, put back in the juice in a crock pot on low to reheat for a good part of the day. Little horseradish sauce and awesome sandwiches

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Using a whole leg do you have any rancid flavor in the pieces with internal fat or white connecting tissue? Or do you just eat around those parts? I’m genuinely interested because I know how nasty venison fat can be. Thanks

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Suzuki, it’s not to bad. The fat is completely rendered out. I try to advoid a tendon and connecting tissues

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

The way Randy is talking about doing it is a great way to enjoy a couple smaller shoulders you don’t feel like boning out as well. You can also leave it right in the roasting pan and add a few sliced up onions and peppers and serve from there as well. There is no ‘game’ flavor what so ever and you can just grab it with a tongs and all the bs you don’t eat just separates itself from the meat- no shredding involved.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

We usually smoke an entire Elk front shoulder every year while we are out in Wyoming. Put it on a Traeger for a couple hours for smoke and then wrap it in foil and finish it in the oven on 200 for 6-8 hours. Turns out awesome.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s just great. Bragging up recipes that cant be cooked for 10 months!
    Unless,,,,,I sure see a lot of road kill by the cabin. I notice when they are fresh too…. whistling

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Many thanks guys!! I had no idea what I was going to receive when I was asked a couple of days ago.

Got a phone call just last evening and it sounds like he is going to debone it and cut into 3 or four separate roasts. He is going to marinate them, he says (low to no oil content) and medium rare heavy smoke, for the guys and medium well light smoke for the women.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Suzuki, these were from last month that my friend put in his freezer.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Suzuki, these were from last month that my friend put in his freezer.

Sounds great. Have some sour kraut with that! I have some veni in the freezer too. Just had some this week. I dont have much so I try to spread it out a ways. Its bluegill season now so that is the meat du jour around here.

Benny

So I just did this not long ago. I’d suggest it, especially if you like the taste of venison itself (aka skip the marinade). I went with a dry brine. You can read up on it, but you essentially need to measure out out the salt you use as that’s important. Somewhere around 1% of the weight of the cut. I added in an equal amount of brown sugar. Rub it all over the cut and put in the fridge for 2 days per pound, turning it over every day. Toss it on your smoker and cook to 130F and you’ll have the best meat you’ve ever tasted. I’ll take it over backstrap any day of the week.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.