Small Outboard Motor Service

• Reed

Hey all,
    I recently received a 1975 Evinrude 15 HP outboard motor that I am needing to have tuned up.
    From other posts that I’ve read it sounds like it’s tough to find anyone in the twin cities that still works on these motors. Does anyone know of someone who could service this? I’m in Eden Prairie, so someone on the west side of the cities would be great, but won’t rule out other areas.

Thank you,
    Reed

MX1825

You want it by Saturday? Drop it off at Grouses on Friday afternoon. whistling doah

glenn57
    cold spring mn

You want it by Saturday? Drop it off at Grouses on Friday afternoon.
    devil devil whistling rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

isu22andy

No one works on them ? I would think there would be tons . Things were pretty simple back then .

glenn57
    cold spring mn

No one works on them ? I would think there would be tons . Things were pretty simple back then .

most, if not all dealers wont work on older motors…..been down that road.

best to find someone who does it as a side gig………..

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Hey all,
    I recently received a 1975 Evinrude 15 HP outboard motor that I am needing to have tuned up.
    From other posts that I’ve read it sounds like it’s tough to find anyone in the twin cities that still works on these motors.

I love these old omc’s and I would gladly give it a shot for you. The problem is first I’m in the east metro. And then with Monday storms I’ve absolutely got a full roster chainsaws that’s going to take weeks to get through and then I’m sure they’ll be more waiting.

The go to West Metro guy for decades has been Kirby out in Mound. He’s a wizard with the old school pre CDI motors that have points and condensers, which is what you have.

I don’t have his number but he posts a lot of ads on Craigslist still. Here’s one of them.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bpo/d/mound-x-3hp-johnson-evinrude-ss-parts/7777990785.html

Almost nobody works on this vintage of outboard anymore. A lot of guys now can’t work on them. Unless you were working on this stuff back in the 1980s you wouldn’t have any experience with this type of setup.

I think it’s a myth this old school stuff actually was simple. This is from the points and condenser era before solid state ignition. Just my opinion but I think things got way more simple with the advent of CDI ignition in the late 1970s. This eliminated one of the most troublesome parts of outboards and small engines in general, the points. Combine this with other troublesome electrical components back then and it could be maddeningly difficult to get ignition problems sorted out.

It also eliminated for the most part the need to have tune-ups.

The good old days weren’t always so good.

mojo

Haha, I was just going to recommend Kirby myself. He knows these motors inside and out and is very fair. Works out of his garage.
    Last time I contacted him, his number was 952-270-7610.

Reed

Kirby sounds like just what I’m looking for.
    Thank you all very much for the help!

big_g
    Isle, MN

lots of motors fixed with emery cloth back in the day !!! coffee crazy doah

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.