Slow Dragging Jigs and Plastics For MAGNUM Winter Walleye S14 E13

• Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Season 14 – Episode 13 is live on YouTube!

Calvin Svihel and Pat McSharry head to the Mississippi River fishing for big walleyes in the boat! Slow dragging VMC Neon Mooneye Jigs and B Fish N Tackle AuthentX Pulse-R’s was the recipe for success!

In this weeks Spot on the Spot ID segment. Pat McSharry walks you through how to use the Humminbird Fish Smart App to locate wing dams and potential depth ranges to target walleye using the Lakemaster map data on the Mississippi river.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Great to see a boat again!! applause applause

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Reminder for those who may not know. Pool 2 is open season year around with a catch and release regulation for all walleye. Also, this is inland water. Only one line per angler. waytogo

-J.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Pat,
    Thanks for pulling out the tape. I wish we could see that more often.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Reminder for those who may not know. Pool 2 is open season year around with a catch and release regulation for all walleye. Also, this is inland water. Only one line per angler. waytogo

-J.

That will always be a special spot for me. I met Jon at the ramp for the first time in winter and we caught some nice walleye. That was 15 years ago or so and he has been a great friend who is always been there for me ever since.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Now that was fun, watching you boys out on a piece of water I know well. That 29 incher was a heck of a fish!

S.R.

shockers
    Rochester

Pat,
    Thanks for pulling out the tape. I wish we could see that more often.

X2. More tape measures, fellas.

Awesome episode. You guys are hardcore!

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

Mike W will have company on the next warm day. wink

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That was 15 years ago or so and he has been a great friend who is always been there for me ever since.

Man, time flies when you’re havin’ fun! toast

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Great show guys. Got me convinced I should give that a try. Very nice fish Pat.

FryDog62

Walleyes looked awesome, run into any other species in Pool 2? …Not that you’d need to, just curious have never fished that stretch of river.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Walleyes looked awesome, run into any other species in Pool 2? …Not that you’d need to, just curious have never fished that stretch of river.

Largemouth, Smallmouth, Pike, big Saugers, numerous White Bass, Carp, Buffalo, Channel Cats, Flathead Cats, Gar, Sturgeon, Mooneyes, Quillbacks. It isn’t the most beautiful stretch of water in Minnesota, but it holds a lot of fish.

S.R.

buschman
    Pool 2

Great show guys. Got me convinced I should give that a try. Very nice fish Pat.

Haha… I always wondered if plastics worked down there too grin

It was nice to see the guys out filming in the boat again. Easy drive for you all as well. Good job getting some fish in the boat guys!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Pool 2 is a very special place to a lot of the guys here on IDO or even the old IDA forums. I have learned a ton from this pool of the Mississippi river, has definitely taught me how to be a better angler overall.

I always have a small tape in my pocket when fishing. Never know when a big fish may bite.

Was a fun episode to film.

reddog

As a river wintertime fisherman with a Skeeter, that boat looked like a really, really good option for this time of the year. It appeared very stable with both guys in the back and Pat up on the seat. Never fished Ole Miss, but that made me want to.. Nice show!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Little disappointed we didn’t get to see the ice breaking capabilities of a boat like that. Im enjoying my new jon boat but it is nothing compared to a good V hull for breaking river ice.

buschman
    Pool 2

FryDog, there are more species in there than we can list however this time of year you really only see walleyes and saugers while fishing this specific pattern. You will see a rouge pike, white bass and channel cat hit the net but 99 out of 100 fish will be Walleyes and Saugers eating these baits right now

tim hurley

Is a roller trailer better for that rig?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Pretty sure the comment at the start of the video was directed towards the fact they both run glass boats with bunk trailers during the normal boating season. The rollers were just something new for them running that boat.

Personally think rollers work well during the winter. Carpeted bunks can freeze to the hull. That and you don’t need to back in as far. This keeps the back tires farther away from the ice lips that are common during the winter.

-J.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>

Pretty sure the comment at the start of the video was directed towards the fact they both run glass boats with bunk trailers during the normal boating season. The rollers were just something new for them running that boat.

Personally think rollers work well during the winter. Carpeted bunks can freeze to the hull. That and you don’t need to back in as far. This keeps the back tires farther away from the ice lips that are common during the winter.

-J.

Spot on. If I fished a lot more in Winter I would want rollers for sure. For the few times a year I sneak out with temps around freezing running a glass boat, the bunk trailer I use isn’t an issue.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

For smaller 16′ boats with single axle trailers the roller is often the only option. Roller trailer is better in my opinion as you don’t need to float the boat to get it off the trailer, you can just push it off. Also when loading its a heck of a lot easier to crank up the boat on a roller trailer. Basically its almost impossible to crank up a boat on a bunk trailer.

As a river wintertime fisherman with a Skeeter, that boat looked like a really, really good option for this time of the year. It appeared very stable with both guys in the back and Pat up on the seat. Never fished Ole Miss, but that made me want to.. Nice show!

We had 3 guys plus fishing gear and a lot of camera equipment and this boat popped right up on plane and handled very well. It has a wide stance, which helps with stability also. The 16′ boat is very nimble to maneuver around river debris (ice chunks) and quick to turn on a dime when fishing. Excellent winter river rig.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Really good episode. Best one all winter. Healthy fish too.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Can someone get Calvin a razor?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Can someone get Calvin a razor?

Hey its cold out. My manscaping keeps my face warm. bwhahahaha

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Is dragging jigs upstream a cold water tactic only? We talking 50 degrees and lower? I remember doing some years ago after dark but for the life of me can’t remember when that was?????

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Is dragging jigs upstream a cold water tactic only? We talking 50 degrees and lower? I remember doing some years ago after dark but for the life of me can’t remember when that was?????

Whatever we do in the winter on the river, we do it SLOWWWW.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Live bait, plastics, cranks on 3 ways when the water is cold. SLO.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dragging jigs works any time of year. I believe IDO has a show or two on jig dragging mid summer. Biggest difference might be dragging more live bait during the summer.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Dragging jigs works any time of year. I believe IDO has a show or two on jig dragging mid summer. Biggest difference might be dragging more live bait during the summer.

Back in my guiding days slowly pulling jigs was one of my mainstay techniques. The big difference in the summer is we almost always pull with the current.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.