Sled Pulling Harness

• Nate Basinger

I’ve been considering a sled pulling harness for pulling my sled on early and late ice. My biggest reservation is being tethered to my sled in the event of going through the ice. I could see getting tangled in the line, or worse, the sled following me in and pulling me down.
    Thoughts?

Tom Dace

Build a kick sled. You push instead of pull. Eliminates being tethered to the thing if you go down and you might find that it’s easier on your body pushing than it is pulling.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Or just have a cross body sling. Not a harness, maybe you fall through and someone can grab the sled, then you can pull yourself out. It could save you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I put a rope over my shoulder and a 2ft stick through that, both hands can grab , or o can tuck it under my armpits when arms get tired. It’s pretty easy to switch up how you pull with that stick or broom handle in their

Sylvanboat

Golfers use a harness for carrying heavy golf bags. Slip right off.

Rod Bent

Nate I have a pulk sled and harness. You can google it and call. Great young couple.

The harness is a padded waist belt and 2 fiberglass poles attached to sled with quick release pins. Made for wilderness trips. Very solid.

I bought an extra pair of brackets for my Clam Kenai. Pull it all over. Glare ice, deep snow, whatever.

Two years ago I went through the ice. No PFD, no icepicks. It was a small area used by muskrats to come up for a breath. Surrounded by a solid 7”.

I’m convinced that the harness poles kept me from going under. They hit the solid ice and I got wet to the chest or so. I unbuckled the belt (big easy to use buckle), grabbed the pole and was able to get enough leverage to get a leg up. Pulled myself out. I’m fairly fit for 62 but not the man I used to be.

Went like hell to the landing and took off my heavy wet clothes down to the long johns. Loaded up and went home to take a hot bath. Boy did that feel good!

Lesson learnt. I wear my PFD every time until I get set up even when driving on ice. I added pool noodles to the poles for flotation. One of those can keep you above water. I think I can add flotation to my Clam but haven’t. Yet.

I recommend pulk for the ease of hands-free pulling. I believe that it prevented me from a worse experience. But there’s no guarantee, and another scenario could be much worse.

The smartest guys on IDO say they don’t walk out until they see ATVs, etc. Pushing the envelope should never be done alone. Did I mention that I went out alone?

Be safe!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.