Leaking front livewell in Skeeter WX models?

• skeetsnd
    Bismarck, ND

I’m wondering if any of you with Skeeter WX models have noticed any leaking from the front livewell. I never use the front livewell on my WX1880 but have a leak somewhere that only occurs when windy, when water splashes up the drain on the starboard exterior side.

I have reached my hand behind the console and cannot locate any leak at the exeterior drain connection but it is clearly leaking from somewhere as shown in the picture. I think the leak could be at the hose and drain connection at the bottom of the livewell. Besides cutting the fiberglass and carpet away from under the console how would a person access the livewell hose connection?

Any ideas to repair this leak would be appreciated.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Make sure the plastic grommet and nut are tight around the plastic termination hose at the glass hull. Mine leaked there after a couple of years of pounding waves. I tightened the plastic nut on the line from the inside and all was well.
    I never use mine either (storage only). If you unplug the wires from the pump to the fuse board, you will never mistakenly turn it on.

Splitshot.

asch
    Eastern Iowa

If you don’t plan on using it plug the drain hole from the outside. I put a plug in mine when it is cold to keep ice out.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

The first thing that came to my mind was are you sure the speedo behind the dash isnt leaking? That would be on thing that is easy to check unless you can feel water on the carpet up in front of the console.
    If its not the speedo it could be the drain from the baitwell that goes through the hull from what you have explained. I would check that one first and then go to the pump and recirc fittings and check those.

GlennRengo
    Maple Grove, MN

SkeetsNd, I had a similar issue on my MX1825. The problem was from the overflow hose and specifically the qwik-lok connecotor that connects the hose to the baitwell qwik-lok fitting. This connection requires two “O” rings to make the seal, my only had one, also the fitting slide ring was damaged. Its an easy item to check, just fill your baitwell up with water either at home or on the lake, then remove the front panel that seperates the front starboard compartment from the baitwell. you can stick you hand in there and feel the fittings and should be able to tell which one is leaking. I trouble shot mine but had the dealer repair it as it was under warranty and its a darn tough spot to get your hand into. See this link for what the qwik-lok connector looks like https://www.flow-rite.com/marine/qwik-lok Good luck.

skeetsnd
    Bismarck, ND

I started with Splitshot’s recommendation to tighten the nut at the end of the hose/intersection with hull. The nut was a little loose and the carpet around it was wet from being on the water yesterday. I sure hope it’s not the quick-lok connector that GlennR mentioned. That would be difficult to change because there is no excess hose to play with.

The boat is great but I don’t care for the front baitwell/livewell on the WX models. I wish Skeeter would build a raised baitwell in front about the dimensions of the current baitwell lid. Opposite side have a raised cooler and extend the bow storage compartments underneath both the cooler and baitwell. A setup similar to Warrior’s front baitwell. There would still be ample bow space and storage with that configuration and a little more conducive to walleye fishing. Turn the cooler at the step into additional tackle storage or leave as-is. Please pass my suggestions on to Skeeter and I’ll upgrade! LOL

Thanks for the tips guys!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Common issue. My 2007 1880 did it too. Check the fitting at least once a year and you should see the leaking subside significantly.

skeetsnd
    Bismarck, ND

Tightening the nut didn’t help my issue. This is on a 2008 WX1880. I’ll try the other suggestions mentioned in this post. Thanks

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Does it leak all the time, or only when you are using the rear baitwell?

skeetsnd
    Bismarck, ND

I rarely use the rear baitwell. I never use the front livewell/baitwell.

The leak seems to occur all the time, especially on days when there is a chop on the water. It’s been this way since I purchased the boat in 2008 but the leak is becoming more visible the past couple years. It’s not leaking from using the front baitwell but rather water entering through the drain on the starboard side or someplace else. It’s not a leak from the speedometer. Tightening the nut didn’t help but I’ll check it again.

I only plan to use the boat a couple more times this year. I have a few more things to try yet and if they fail I’ll have all winter to make repairs. It looks to be about impossible to access under the baitwell without having to do some fiberglass work. I’ll probably take the approach to remove all plumbing I can access, including the exterior drain at the fiberglass, replace the quik-lok connector and reseal everything I can. If that doesn’t work remove the drain, fiberglass the hole shut and abandon the front baitwell completely!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

You should be able to access the pumps from the front storage compartment. There may be a bulk head there but that can be removed so you have access to the overflow and pumps.

trollingeyes
    Appleton, WI

I had the exact same water on the floor of my WX 1850. I would only get it when running a good chop or bigger. I put a bead of clear silicone around the black rubber drain where it touches the glass on the exterior. That was 3 seasons ago and haven’t had a drop of water since.

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

I have the same boat, year and problem. I replaced the drain though the hull, and followed skeeter directions and it has not leaked since. Must have had an assembly problem in 2008 with these at the factory or just bad parts.

skeetsnd
    Bismarck, ND

I appreciate the feedback guys. Prior to reading some of the recent posts I added a bead of silicone around the drain exterior but haven’t been on the water to test it yet. If that doesn’t work I’ll be replacing the drain and the connections on the interior.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.