Skeeter Cover

• mark-o.

I see there is an option for a Skeeter cover on the dealer pricing sheet. Does anyone have one of these covers for a WX series? Are they a new thing? Are they like the Ranger covers? Are they for towing? Do they hold up? Any info or pics would be helpful. Thanks!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I see there is an option for a Skeeter cover on the dealer pricing sheet. Does anyone have one of these covers for a WX series? Are they a new thing? Are they like the Ranger covers? Are they for towing? Do they hold up? Any info or pics would be helpful. Thanks!

I have one. It’s been on many miles (trips) this summer. I have been 100% satisfied with it. It’s fairly easy to put on and take off, durable, meant for travel, etc.

I have two small issues with it.

#1. You have to undo the ratchet in the back to gas up the boat with the cover on.

#2. It’s not fully enclosed in the back like the Ranger covers are. Someone can look in your boat if they really want.

It was worth it to me.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve put thousands of tow miles on my current 2100 cover this summer alone and it looks brand new. It is definitely a well-built cover that I’m confident will hold up to near constant use for a long, long time.

PS – no issues here getting to the fuel fills on the 2100 with the cover in place. Or the 1950.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I’ve put thousands of tow miles on my current 2100 cover this summer alone and it looks brand new. It is definitely a well-built cover that I’m confident will hold up to near constant use for a long, long time.

PS – no issues here getting to the fuel fills on the 2100 with the cover in place. Or the 1950.

Well, I guess I should have bought a bigger boat.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Odd that you don’t have access. Did you reach out to SBC on this? I know the other covers on the other WX models allow access. You do have the velcro-secured access panel(s) for the gas fills, correct? I’m assuming they don’t line up with the fuel fill(s) or something else regarding the fit of the cover is keeping you from gaining access?

muskiegreg

I had a custom cover made from material that both repells water and breathes. I had the shop closely mirror a Ranger cover design. I did not cover the motor to reduce the pull on the cover. Have driven down the road in a monsoon rainstorm and the inside of the boat stayed dry. Can also gas up without make any adjustments to the tiedowns – there is a velcro cover over the gas cap. Incorporated special foam on the straps to eliminate any potential chance the straps would scratch the finish. This cover is on a MX1825.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

For a couple grand they better be nice covers

muskiegreg

The custom cover was less than $800.00.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

For a couple grand they better be nice covers

Skeeter factory covers aren’t anywhere near that expensive.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

I assume I received the factory cover with my ’09 WX 1880. Love the ratchet straps but made a mistake in not putting strap protectors on where the straps go around the trailer frame. I knew they would wear through quickly and didnt even make it through last summer. Need to get a few new straps sewn together and have some ideas on how to keep the straps from wearing…. Otherwise has been an excellent cover.
    Chris Beeksma

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The new tough coat trailers are particularly hard on straps without protectors of some kind. Been there…

Are you able to access your fuel fills on your 1880 with the cover on?

eyehabit
    WestBend Wisconsin

put one full twist on each side of the trailer strap so the wind can not vibrate the strap (look at the flat bed semi trailers) pulled mine over 5000 miles and haven’t had one brake using this technique………

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Odd that you don’t have access. Did you reach out to SBC on this? I know the other covers on the other WX models allow access. You do have the velcro-secured access panel(s) for the gas fills, correct? I’m assuming they don’t line up with the fuel fill(s) or something else regarding the fit of the cover is keeping you from gaining access?

None at all James. There are no access panel at all there. I guess I thought that’s how they are, it didn’t occur to me to call SBC and ask.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

A factory skeeter cover is $800.00. If you order a cover while ordering a boat I believe they are $650.00.

The WX1850 or WX1880 Does not come with a flap for a fuel fill. They firgure being the fill cap is so close to the back of the boat that you can just pull the back corner up. I have mentioned putting one in, to skeeter but at this point it is not at the top of their list as they have some some new cover designs to get worked out yet.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

A factory skeeter cover is $800.00. If you order a cover while ordering a boat I believe they are $650.00.

The WX1850 or WX1880 Does not come with a flap for a fuel fill. They firgure being the fill cap is so close to the back of the boat that you can just pull the back corner up. I have mentioned putting one in, to skeeter but at this point it is not at the top of their list as they have some some new cover designs to get worked out yet.

Thanks for the clarification, Eric.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

Not a Skeeter cover, but it covers a Skeeter. Top Gun fabric. Snaps under the rub rail. I had it altered to totally cover the bow. I have to take the bow EM on & off, but it fits like a glove and travels well. My third one and never had any issues of any kind with any of them. Good luck…

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i’ve got a factory cover on my WX2000T.

it fits nice and snug with the ratchet strap around the rub rail which essentially eliminates any flapping since wind isn’t getting in around the edges.

with one twist as mentioned earlier the side straps do no vibrate much and i haven’t seen any wear on them at the points where they go around the trailer beams. i appreciate the fact that there is a large padded piece of protective material behind the strap where it attaches to the cover as this is the place it is closest to the boat and most likely to flap/rub against the gel coat.

the only downsides are that it has crushed the cushioning out of my bump seat on the bow and it fits too tightly across the trolling motor cut-out. in the case of the trolling motor the pressue is pushing apart and starting to separate the cover of my Terrova. if i were to do it again i would get a cover without the cut-out and just remove my trolling motor from the quick mount whenever i put the cover on the boat.

the custom fit means that it sheds water without pooling on top. and it is exceptionally waterproof so i’ve not had any water in the boat while it was covered. overall, this is the best cover i’ve owned or even seen. for the price i highly recommend it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.