Another Skeeter MX 1825 Review

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I had the opportunity to fish for a couple days in a 2012 MX 1825 single console with a 150 hp Yamaha and 24v Terrova on the front.

For performance the F150 motor is fast and quiet, it gets the boat up on plane quickly, and we hit 49 mph with 3 guys and a full tank of gas. With 2 guys and a tournament load, I think it will be right there at the 50 mph mark. We had very nice weather last weekend, but I had a chance to drive the MX 1825 with 200 hp at the ride and drive on Mille Lacs and I felt very comfortable in the rough water we had that day. I had just made a 10 mile run in those same conditions with my 2000T going 25-35 mph most of the time and I’m confident I could have comfortably ran that fast in the 1825 as well. I also made an attempt at back trolling in those big waves and it performed well. With a set of Wave Wackers, the inside of the boat should stay nice and dry.

There is a ton of storage in this boat. I was a little worried about storage from some of the pictures I saw online, but there is room to easily stow everything I carry in my current boat plus anything for a couple passengers as well. I like that storage under the console as well. Plano boxes easily fit under there, stay secure in rough water, and are easily accessible. It might be a good place to get some cargo netting and store raingear or maybe some life jackets. For rod storage I think we had 12-15 rods easily stowed with room for many more.

One thing I love about tiller boats is how wide open they feel. I was interested to see how cramped it would feel in the MX 1825 with 3 guys fishing-it didn’t! We were easily able to spread out and cast all day with no hooks ending up in the back of anyone’s head. The cockpit area is also very roomy and the seats are spaced out perfectly. The seats are comfortable especially with the padded lumbar area. A complaint I’ve always had with my Dad’s wheel boat is it feels like the steering wheel is in your lap, but the MX has plenty of room between the driver and console. The console has plenty of room for a couple of big graphs above the steering wheel and behind the bubble.

I guess I’m really just blown away by all of the different ways a person could rig and fish from this boat. I could troll with the kicker, big motor, bowmount, or some combination of the 3. For live bait presentations the bowmount would work great, and if the waves pick up I can see backtrolling with the kicker or the big motor as a very good option as well. One nice thing about the low profile design of the MX is a guy can drop the bowmount and troll straight into the waves without worrying about the trolling motor coming out of the water. If the waves get too big, just turn the boat around and backtroll. With a small driftsock, the boat should drift about perfect with the low profile and deeper keel.

I’m no expert, but I’d be happy to answer any questions from my experience with the boat.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Nice review but…………is it good enough to make you give up your tiller?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Yes, but when this boat comes out in a tiller model it wil be one sweet boat.

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

Quote:

Yes, but when this boat comes out in a tiller model it wil be one sweet boat.

When do you think this will happen? I have a 1790t and love it, but will get a new boat in the next couple years.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

4 Buck,

From what I’ve been told, I wouldn’t plan on it before this time next year.

It sounds like Skeeter is really listening to us walleye guys and creating new boats and making improvements to their current products. I know there are a few things on their to do list right now, and I think the tiller MX is about 2 or 3 on that list.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanks for the honest review Dan. You hit on some of the most important things when considering a boat – performance, storage, ergonomics and fishability.

muskiegreg

We have owned our dual console MX1825 for a little over a month. We upgraded from a 16′ Alumacraft we owned for 20 years. We love the moving around room and all of the storage compartments. Having all of the different compartments allows us to keep everthing organized into specific needs. My biggest issue with the boat has been launching and loading. I expected there would be a difference between a roller and bunk trailer. Because the Skeeter sits so high on the trailer I have to bury the trailer to unload and load. Basically the water has to completely cover the tops of the wheel well covers – so I need between 28-30 inches of water. The dealer told me I should have maybe 12″ of the bunks out of the water and loading wouldn’t be a big issue. I’m looking for any tips.

ringosetter

nice boat i would like to have one how tall is it if you take the hood off the motor ihave a crestliner cmv with a 150 and i have to take the hood off to get it in my shed i only have a 76″ opening for my shed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.