Finally got to see the new Skeeter MX1825 (Review)

Last night after months of drooling and a whole lot of waiting, I finally got a chance to check out the new Skeeter MX1825(with all bells and whistles now attached) first hand. Needless to say there was no let down at all and the waiting was worth it…This boat did not disappoint!

I know there has already been a lot of buzz about the specifics features of this MX model, but I wanted share with everyone some of the additional features that I found to be very unique. Hopefully this can give everyone a feel for the level of thought and detail that went into this boat and what sets it aside from other boats in its size as well as price range.

Lowered Position to the Water:

Sometimes when I am fishing a spot with a lot of other anglers around I really don’t like to wave the yet too much and would rather just hoist the fish in or simply unhook it at the side of the boat. The Skeeter MX’s low profile would allow an angler to slide a fish into the back of the boat with a small lift and swing and also allows the angler to reach over the side and unhook a fish without the need to overextend your body and lose your balance.

Hull Balance:

When fishing during rough waters or fishing in areas where boats may be traveling by and creating a wake, some hulls seem to rock from side to side quite a bit. Combine this with 2 anglers on a rear casting deck that are either casting or trying to net a fish and one needs to have a pretty good balance at times to keep themselves inside the boat. The Skeeter MX design team has found a way to keep the balance of this hull in check while not compromising other features such as speed and maneuverability. In times of larger waves we were able to place 3 grown men on one side of the casting deck and still maintain a level playing surface in the boat with very little rocking motion.

Interior Room:

I can’t say enough about how much room there is in this boat. With the additional seat plates situated on the rear casting deck as well as the cockpit, the seat configuration possibilities seems endless. Fishing 3 guys to a side in this boat would be an easy task, something that is pretty hard to come by in an 18ft wheel boat. Although the cockpit is situated a little more up front on the MX series than traditional boats of its size, there is still more than enough room to fish up front if you choose to do so.

Storage:

Granted the Skeeter MX Model doesn’t see the abundance of storage hype as it’s WX cousin does, but the storage in this boat shouldn’t be overlooked. Every nook and cranny that could yield storage has been retrofitted to do just that. After rummaging through the compartments, I feel confident that a guy could fit at least a dozen Plano storage trays in the rear storage compartments and another dozen in the driver’s side compartments as well. Combine this will the Passenger’s side rod storage and the Center rod locker and you got enough storage space for rods and tackle that will accommodate most anglers in a majority of fishing situations.

Attention to Detail:

There are quite a few things that I noticed on the Skeeter MX that made me think, “What a great idea.” Although these things details are small, I think they are things that most of us have had issues with on a boat one time or another. First is the bilge pumps are now located in the in floor battery storage compartment and are easily accessible for fixing or repair. Next are the interior LED lights. All interior LED lights are conveniently located right next to each storage compartment to allow for optimum light transmission inside the compartment itself. Finally is the seat configuration. No longer do your knees hit the side of the boat when you try to turn your chair around in a counter-clockwise motion. These MX seat bases have been moved towards the center of the boat enough to allow you to spin around in your seat each way, or better yet, face the hull wall while you fish.

Overall, I strongly feel that Skeeter got it right with this rig and I plan on placing an order for one this spring. It seems that this boat will perform well for not only the Walleye anglers like myself, but for the Muskie and Multi-Species anglers as well. Most importantly this boat is priced right and has the features to rival even the highest priced rigs on the market. Thanks again to Greg Rudisill for offering me the opportunity to check one of these rigs out first hand, showing me all the little details that went into this project and allowing me to take it for a spin.

Spring can’t come quick enough for this guy!

bigefish
    Rock Falls, WI.

Thanks for the info. Can’t wait to get in one myself!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Spring can’t come quick enough for this guy!

So………….Did you flop a cash deposit on the table? Or are you waiting till spring to pick the colors.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Great write up, I thought you were gonna like it! It has been fun being part of and along with many other fisherman ,to see our ideas actually get used and put into production!

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Nice review Justin! I haven’t forgot. Hope to see you before seasons end and maybe help you out with your purchase. I’m almost afraid to go look at one.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Pictures????

Nice review, Justin.

mule170
    Bemidji

Good review and I agree with your findings. I am still working on the colors for mine and I also cant wait till spring so I can order mine. Now I just have to drive it with the 200 HPDI!

greg_r
    Woodbury MN

Justin, Glad to finally get you some behind the wheel training in the new Skeeter MX-1825. Quite a difference from your current rig. Think it will be a great fit for your fishing style. It would have been nice to get some water sprayed on us in that 100 degree heat but just was not happening with that hull. You”ll be glad with that come November. Still have to get you out in my 2100 with the 300 offshore. I’m gonna have to lighten up on my tackle boxes if you order up the 200hpdi. There’s gonna be some more Skeeter’s buzzin to the big fish spot soon…

Quote:

So………….Did you flop a cash deposit on the table? Or are you waiting till spring to pick the colors.

Haha! Not yet Wade although it was sure tempting! I’ve decided to wait til spring and get a few things paid off over the winter before I jump in a new boat.

I’m pretty sure I have my colors picked out already though!

fargotridad

If I got to see pictures of it I might sport wood.

Sorry guys I didn’t have a chance to take any pictures, as I left my camera at home.

I’m sure Greg or the crew at SBC will be posting a few pictures of the finished product soon.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Hi Justin – glad you liked it!! The boat you drove is now on our show floor. I shot a string of pictures so here goes, hot off the press!

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Here is a shot of the in floor battery/charger storage with door closed then open. This is underr the snap-in carpeting.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Here is a shot of the port side rod holster with door closed and open.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Here is a shot of the dash, the shelf uder the dash, the really cool, small and easy to radio panel and the circuit breaker panel under the dash. Eveything makes for clean installs and ease of access!

kizew
    Dallas, WI

How about the LARGE, 2 level center rod storage area and the 50″ rear live well?

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Finally, the super roomy cockpit area. Pictures really don’t do it justice!

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Great lookin boat

Dean Marshall

Gregg,regarding those under the console shelves,rumor has it that they might be removable? That storage area for me has been very appreciated through the years!

kizew
    Dallas, WI

You bet Dean! You remove 2 Phillips head screws and the shelf is out!

Dean Marshall

Quote:

You bet Dean! You remove 2 Phillips head screws and the shelf is out!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

droooooooooooooooooooling.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Quote:

droooooooooooooooooooling.

x2!

Now, if I could only remember where I planted that money tree…..

fargotridad

Now if my dealer would get me a price. Anybody looking for a 1880.

fargotridad

Is there enough room for 3 trolling batteries and the starting?

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Is there enough room for 3 trolling batteries and the starting?

In the designed space that the batteries go in, there is not enough space for 4 batteries.

A 80lb trolling motor on that boat I believe will be more than enough. If your worried about extra long run time or life of the batteries you may consider upgrading to Odessey batteries.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Now if my dealer would get me a price. Anybody looking for a 1880.

Here you go!!!!!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Eric, throw a 200HPDI on the rig in the shop and take a midnight run for me!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW you are dying to do that!!!!!!!!!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

It just so happens that we have a MX with a 200hpdi in the shop. It will be run on the lake soon, and I will be sure to report back with my findings

fargotridad

I have a 101 on my 1880 and would not go smaller on the next boat.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.