Bass boat setup???

• Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

Hi guys just got the recommended hours on the new skeeter zx200 with a 200 mercury pro xs. So decided to finally open the boat up to see what it will run and can’t get it over 5000 rpms. I’m running a hot foot manual jack plate I can see 5 dots and a 3 blade 25 pitch tempest prop any ideas why I cant get over 5000?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My guess would be the jack plate is set to low in the water or a wrong pitched prop – There are alot of Prop guru’s that will probably have some suggestions for you here soon.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Have a good friend (20+ year bass boat owner) that had a similar problem, ran it that way for 1 1/2 years before he realized walking up to the boat one day that he could see from a distance the motor was too low. He took it in and raised it up, got he performance back.

Are you throwing up a big rooster tail? A Mechanic told me that is a sign of LOST POWER, spraying all the water up in the air instead of into the water pushing your rig.

Good Luck.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

the motor was too low. He took it in and raised it up, got he performance back.

Are you throwing up a big rooster tail? A Mechanic told me that is a sign of LOST POWER, spraying all the water up in the air instead of into the water pushing your rig.

Good Luck.

Hows the steering at top end? When your on plane, do you feel the steering get loose; or does it still have a pull? If its loose where you can steer with just a finger, your very close on the jack plate height. If you have a pull, raise the plate up in 1/4″ increments and test again.
    Factory props are ok, but an engineered prop is the way to go if you are going to use it a lot. Most props are sold on a generic basis for what you MIGHT need. rig, engine, fuel, water, gear, human weight all need to be calculated into the equation for not only the correct blade but also the pitch and cupping. Plus your expectations need to be factored in. Do you want all ptop end speed, do you need a good hole shot, do you fish big water like Green Bay where you can be in 6 footers?

For in-depth prop info, give these guys a call:
    D.A.H.® Custom Pro-pellers
    34111 Washington Ave.
    Burlington, Wisconsin 53105 USA
    John or Jeff Janaky
    phone (262) 534-4440
    fax (262) 534-2738

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

If he was throwing a big roost and only getting 5000rpm then its a pitch problem not a motor height problem.

Run the boat at WOT and trimmed where you get max speed, have some one or yourself go and look to see where the cavitation plate is in relation to the water. This should be just out of the water. If it is then you should probably try a 23p but I would think your boat and motor should be able to run a 25p.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Check hot foot and motor linkage for full throttle position. 7 dots is prime height for zx200 with a yammie. Make sure to keep an eye on h20 pressure when going up on plate merc intakes are different than yammie. Qhat is speed at 5000 rpms? Boat should run about 68 loaded.

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

I still had good pull on the wheel wasn’t turning easy by any means there was no roostet tail my water pressure was 25 gauge shows to run between 10 and 20. I ran 64 mph with just me the gf and a cooler

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Quote:

If he was throwing a big roost and only getting 5000rpm then its a pitch problem not a motor height problem.

Run the boat at WOT and trimmed where you get max speed, have some one or yourself go and look to see where the cavitation plate is in relation to the water. This should be just out of the water. If it is then you should probably try a 23p but I would think your boat and motor should be able to run a 25p.

x2the cavitation plate height is whats going to give you your most bang for your buck. Then you can play with props after that.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

I still had good pull on the wheel wasn’t turning easy by any means there was no roostet tail my water pressure was 25 gauge shows to run between 10 and 20. I ran 64 mph with just me the gf and a cooler

Sounds like you’re propped right but the motor is set too low. Like mentioned before raise it up 1/4″ at a time and see what she does.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.