Skeeter WX1910 Boat Cover

• chasing50s

Hey Everyone,

Last November I purchased a new/old (last years) stock 2016 WX1910. I opt’d to have the local dealer remove the trolling motor and graph as I wanted to customize based on a lot of good feedback from this FORUM – Thanks to you guys. One of the items on my to-do-list is to purchase a new trolling motor of which it appears I have narrowed down to the 112/36V/60 Ultrex (or second/third runner up is the 112/36V/60or72 Ulterra). As you can see I’m leaning towards the Ultrex. Today I received dimensions from Minn Kota on the trolling motors and now comes time to check things out. A few concerns that maybe others can comment on.

1) The Skeeter boat cover that came with my boat has a section in the bow portion customized for the trolling motor (which WAS a 80/24V/60 Terrova). What do you guys think – Am I going to have to get it modified by a marine canvas company? Likely I’ll just have to roll with it and see how it fits once I purchase the trolling motor. Any comments on if any of my runner up trolling motor choices would be any different?

2) What do you guys think of the Ultrex vs Ulterra? I personally think I’ll benefit more from the quick responsiveness of the Ultrex versus the Auto deploy features of the Ulterra.

3) Those who own the Ultrex – did it come with a male power plug or just the power leads with eyelets? My WX1910 comes with a three prong female receptacle that I will need to know if I have to switch that out, and if so to what. Photos attached.

4) Any idea if the WX1910 has a circuit breaker and if so what size? Also I will be checking the wire gauge tonight from the battery bay to the front unless somebody knows that too.

5) Does anybody know what trolling motor mount was left on my boat? I believe it is from Skeeter. Photos attached.

Thanks for your help!
    Josh

Attachments:
    1. 20180113_163018.jpg

2. 20180114_161956.jpg

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

If you want a deal on a new Ulterra I can maybe work something out with you. I might buy a WX 2060 with an Ulterra and I don’t want a minn kota it has on it already?? I will know this weekend if I pull the trigger on the boat. Its brand new.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

1. You’ll have to try it, I’m guessing with the amount of additional height of the Ultrex you’ll have to modify the cover. You would not if you went with the Ulterra

2. NA

3. You’ll have to buy the plug for the trolling motor. Last two I’ve done came with bare wire ends.

4. It will have a circuit breaker. No sure what amp or if you will have to change it out going from an 80 to 112. I believe it is 8 gauge wire.

5. I believe by looking at the picture the trolling motor mount plate is Skeeter sliding trolling motor mount.

Have you thought about where you are going to put the 3rd trolling motor battery and or upgrading the charger from going from an 80 to a 112?

chasing50s

Hi Jami,

Thanks for the response.

Yeah I figured I’ll have to get the cover modified. Too bad.

I have an email off to my dealer to see if he knows the details on the female receptacle (make and model) so I can figure out if it’s good for 36V and what male plug will adapt to it. Maybe I’ll need a new one.

To answer your questions, I also had the dealer remove the original charger and supply a third battery. The third battery is in the floor compartment and I bought a MK460PC which is located in the port side aft seat compartment (I removed the pointless plano box storage tub and opened up that area). Lambeau has been kind enough to provide some ideas and photos for me.

In the spring I’ll be permanently fastening it all in. It’s all just loosely sitting there connected on maintenance mode charge. I’d like to come up with something clever to maintain storage space in this compartment (i.e. create a braket to mount it on it’s side if possible, or make a kind of shelve so I can pile other stuff on top of it but still be able to see the buttons and lights.

Cheers,
    Josh

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

1) The Skeeter boat cover that came with my boat has a section in the bow portion customized for the trolling motor (which WAS a 80/24V/60 Terrova). What do you guys think – Am I going to have to get it modified by a marine canvas company? Likely I’ll just have to roll with it and see how it fits once I purchase the trolling motor. Any comments on if any of my runner up trolling motor choices would be any different?

A Terrova with 72″ shaft will fit, but it’s tiggggghhhhht and the head isn’t really in the cut-out portion of the cover. Works fine, but would be worth modifying the cover.
    An Ulterra with 60″ shaft will fit just fine without modification.

2) What do you guys think of the Ultrex vs Ulterra? I personally think I’ll benefit more from the quick responsiveness of the Ultrex versus the Auto deploy features of the Ulterra.

I think you’re greatly underestimating just how incredible the auto deploy and retract feature is on the Ulterra. Also, it turns plenty fast, so I don’t know that the difference in responsiveness is going to be that big of a deal – it never has been for me. But to hit a button on my Humminbird as I’m pulling up to a spot and have the trolling motor in the water? Game changing. Similarly for never having to lean over and pull it out of the water.

3) Those who own the Ultrex – did it come with a male power plug or just the power leads with eyelets? My WX1910 comes with a three prong female receptacle that I will need to know if I have to switch that out, and if so to what.

I can’t speak to the Ultrex, but other MinnKota trolling motors I’ve bought new did not come with a plug attached to the wire. It’s very easy to attach a male end plug to the wire – much easier than changing out the female end that’s on your boat.

5) Does anybody know what trolling motor mount was left on my boat? I believe it is from Skeeter.

That sliding mount is the cat’s meow…I know it works with the Terrova and Ulterra, don’t know about the Ultrex.
    R & R Design site

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

Cable over electric any day for me. Ultrex is the way to go now that it has spot lock and i-link. I have a terrova I-link on a WX and I do a lot of bass fishing. Wish I had the control of a cable.

With the open rod lockers that Skeeter has you should be able to cut a hole in the floor and install a recessed foot control tray so you are set up like a bass boat. Not sure if any of the dealers have done this for customers?

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

With the open rod lockers that Skeeter has you should be able to cut a hole in the floor and install a recessed foot control tray so you are set up like a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass boat. Not sure if any of the dealers have done this for customers?

We have done this on multiple boats here and has worked out great!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

If you go with the ultrex you will need to modify the holes in the skeeter slide plate. The ulterra will have the same mounting holes that are currently there.
    Can be done for sure but will take some time and a couple fresh drill bits.

chasing50s

Hi Eric,

Any photos of during the modification and after the modification for our reference? I would consider this however a more important feature I would like to figure out is how to get 8 foot rods comfortably in and out of the rod locker of a WX1910. They fit but it’s a procedure to get them in and out safely. I noticed the floor is quite high (shallow locker) and there appears to be room below to lower it down (maybe to make more room if possible) just above the blower. Also the first segment of the rod locker floor is not supported very well. On the side wall that backs onto the cooler locker is not supported at all by any brackets and flexes a lot. Weird, but I guess your not standing there so it’s not considered in the design.

Anyone modify there floor for a TM foot pedal? Anyone modify the rod locker with bracket and tubes for rods? Photos are appreciated.

Also do you have any photos of how the TM fits on the stock slide plate as you noted? Just curious. Not sure if the 24V vs 36V TMs vary in size.

Thanks,
    Josh

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I don’t have any photos available. The only modification you need to do is to drill new mounting holes and countersink them like the ones that are already there. The ultrex uses a different bolt pattern than the Terrova and ulterra.
    The center rod storage isn’t meant for a heavy load like you mentioned. You could add a couple brackets on the cooler side to help that some but it is plenty strong for holding rods in there.

Like mentioned we have added the trolling motor foot pedal tray to numerous boats. I don’t have any at the shop currently to shoot you a picture of though.
    We have not added rod tubes to any of the boats. Most all guys wanted them out.
    24v and 36v will be same physical size as far as mounting.

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

chasing50s,

Well, I am now in the same position as you; my 2018 WX 1910 is on order. I will be swapping the standard trolling motor for a 36 volt Ultrex as well. Another big reason for the Ultrex which has not been mentioned is the ability to mount the Humminbird 360 on the trolling motor, which I will be doing. That is not an option on the terrova or ulterra. I do a lot of bass fishing on boulder beds, so being able to cast to specific boulders and other targets will be awesome. I hope to install the recessed foot control tray as well, but I will take a closer look once the boat arrives. Sounds like I will need to remove the plano boxes from under the port jump seat to make room for the 4 bank charger. I am hoping a group 31 AGM battery will fit under the starboard jump seat; that is a big battery. I am also hoping 3 Group 29 batteries will fit in the floor; those are slightly larger than 27s. I have not decided yet on AGM vs. wet cell for the trolling motor batteries. I did not order the Skeeter boat tarp, I am getting one custom made after everything is installed.

StonyEye

I just installed 4 batteries in the floor of my WX1910. 3 27’s and one AGM 31. The front two batteries hang over a little bit, I will definitely be keeping my eye on them for the first season to make sure they stay put. I used the Aluminum trays that came with the boat, purchased one more from R and R Design.

I fit the 3 bank Minnkota 345PC and a 110PC in the starboard hole under the jump seat. They are mounted on the interior side of the hole.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i have 3x 29-series wetcell batteries in the floor, and a 31-series AGM under the starboard jump seat, and the 4-bank charger under the port jump seat.

the AGM i got is a Duration from Farm & Fleet.
    – 27 size: 580CCA, 175RC, 6.75″w x 12.75″l x 9.87″ tall
    – 31 size: 800CCA, 200RC, 6.75″x x 12.94″l x 9.375″ tall
    so in this brand the bigger battery is longer but actually shorter!

i really like having the charger back there as it allows the cord to come out in the splash well so i can plug it in without taking off the cover.

if you go with wet-cell trolling motor batteries and an AGM cranking battery just remember to make sure to have a charger that can handle different types of batteries on different banks – the MinnKota Precision (460PC) is really great for this.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.