Skeeter Covers

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

A Skeeter cover for a MX1825 is 975$. Seems a bit high. Should a guy go with that or a custom cover mad of top gun material? I’ve been out of the boat cover arena for quite some time and need some guidance! Any comments on a Skeeter covers durability, toughness, etc. are welcome.

brentbullets

I wouldn’t say that is out of line. I paid near that or more for 2 different custom covers for my 21′ Skeeters but it has been 4 years since the last one. I had a Skeeter cover on my new 2013 WX2190 that I used for one year. It wasn’t going to last. I heard that they have made many improvements since then though.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The Skeeter covers need a couple modifications and then they work great. Canvas Craft charges about $100 for the changes. I’m not sure on pricing but I think you could get a custom cover for less.

huskerdu

I would try Dowco covers , if you store your boat outside in the summer you may get 5-7 seasons on a cover, I have a ranger and covers run 1200.00 factory price. 10 year cover and I don’t store it outside.

grizzly
    nebraska

i got a skeeter cover with my 2016 wx 2060 and it is dang good

Smellson

The Skeeter covers need a couple modifications and then they work great. Canvas Craft charges about $100 for the changes. I’m not sure on pricing but I think you could get a custom cover for less.

Curious…what did you have modified? Love my Skeeter cover so far

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

I also would be curious what modifications were made. My cover for my 2016 2060 is pretty good. My only complaint is that the side straps need to be real tight and the slack tied up or they will rub the side of the boat.

Matt

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

My Skeeter cover seems fine to me but I store boat inside. Don’t have any issues going down the road. Twist straps, pull tight, and tuck excess strap into buckle in a loop.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Specifically in regards to the skeeter cover, they have been very solid. Several updates through the years and cant say that I have seen any reason to go elsewhere. A few exceptions have been for docking or boat lift applications where a custom works better. The customs from a good shop cost the same or more in my experience.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I should also mention some of the cheaper aftermarket covers I have seen scuff the heck out of the gel coat when trailering, so be cautious on the price point products…..

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I’ve had 3 covers from Skeeter: 2011, 2012, and 2015

Upsides:
    – fit nicely without flapping or straps rubbing the boat
    – very good water resistance even in heavy rain at highway speed
    – rear hooks are a very nice design (instead of strap past motor)
    – side ratchets are easy to operate by one person

Limitations:
    – one strap on each side wraps around the front fender step; over time the edges cut into the strap
    – for the cost, should include attachments points on top of trailer beams rather than wrapping straps around them
    – stitching between cover panels is the weak point; of my 3 covers from Skeeter: 1) replaced after 1 year due stitching tearing out, 2) sold with boat 3 years old, stitching was starting to tear out, 3) currently 3 years old, stitching is starting to tear out

My boat’s stored indoors, so the cover is only used for 3 long trips each year of 8-10 hours each way, maybe 60 hours highway time per year…based on my experience I’d give the stitching a lifetime of about 200 hours highway time max.

During their time, they work really nice, and to me the question isn’t whether or not it’s worth $1000, it’s whether or not it’s worth $330/year, or $110 per big trip. Since the price is about the same anyway, my next one will most likely be from a custom shop; as i’d be willing to pay more in the hopes of a longer lifespan.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I put the Fleet Farm covers on my 2001 Lund for around $200. I get 3/4 years out of them with towing from Hager City to Afton twice per year (the wind just destroys them). They are crap but do sorta well to keep the rain and sun out of the boat.

Mooring would be difficult (but not impossible) with the cover that came with my Solera. I don’t have enough time on it to give a good long term opinion…except it’s heavy and that’s a good thing in my mind. I really like the Skeeter cover a year into it.

Most boat covers that attach to the trailer alone will scuff tin and glass boats. Skeeter snuggs the cover with ratchet straps that go around the boat to keep it from moving, then has the tie down (to the trailer system).

I haven’t seen a Top Gun in years so no comment on them.

StonyEye

Spring of last year I had a new cover sewn up for my ’97 1660 Pro V. It was $650. Much shorter and narrower than a Skeeter. I would think the larger boat would cause the price to be comparable to the Skeeter cover.

I do own a Skeeter now, when I picked up my boat I was told that towing with the cover on was not recommended due to the cover dulling the clear coat. So you guys are towing with the covers on and not having and issue? I like travelling long distances with the cover on, keep weather out and sticky fingers out when stopping for food.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I’m with you stonyeye. I never travel with my cover on and accept the bugs, rain, etc. aggravations it occasionally causes. I’ve got a cover made of top gun material for a Yarcraft that is 20 years old and still functional, and the boat is stored outside 365 days a year.

Gregk9
    Far Northern IL

If they’re still making the mx 1825 covers that leave the splash well exposed, I don’t recommend them for outdoor storage. It leaves all the linkages and cables for your outboard(s) exposed to the weather. That back deck will get somewhat wet too. Also, leaves and other debris will blow under there making the cockpit quite messy.

For indoor storage it should be fine. It tightens down good for trailering.

950’s probably about right. I got quoted 1,180.00 for a custom cover- albeit, it’ll cover the splash well and kicker motor and have 3 support poles.

Phil Ames

What do you guys do about the straps rubbing the sides of the boat? I try to pull them as tight as I can. Not sure what you mean by twisting the straps? I cut the straps off of my cover in the front, because of the rubbing on the sides of my 2016 WX2060. I had to really tighten up on the ratchet strap, and still used the strap to the fender. Worked pretty good, but did better at 75mph with front straps still on. I picked up a 2018 WX2190 and that cover appears to fit better to the boat, than cover on 2060. Still concerned about the front straps. Curious as to modifications mentioned.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Not sure what you mean by twisting the straps?

If you rotate the strap 1 turn before connecting the clip, it puts a “twist” in the strap between the clip and the cover. This twist helps the strap shed the wind and results in the strap rotating as wind hits it, rather than slapping in and out against the side of the boat. Makes a huge difference.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

^ bow ^

JoeMX1825
    MN

If you’re only looking for a stationary cover (not for trailering) I purchased the top of the line model from boatcovers.com for about $550 back in 2013, it covers the boat and motor great, is completely waterproof. I believe they are based out of Granite Falls, MN?

I went this route because I modify my covers to tie from the bow end as I keep my boat on a lift at the cabin and can tie it from the shore.

The comparable Skeeter cover at the time was $1,100…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.