Should I Replace both 24V Trolling Motor Batteries at the same time?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I was able to get 11 years out of my original Interstate 27D Trolling motor batteries until one of them died this spring. Is it best practice to replace the OTHER one at the same time even if its still holding a charge?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Thx for the quick reply, I figured it was a good idea…looks like a have a battery purchase on my weekend agenda…

CaptainMusky

Thx for the quick reply, I figured it was a good idea…looks like a have a battery purchase on my weekend agenda…

Yeah, I was a big dummy and replaced only 1 a few years ago and then it bit me big time when I was in Canada this year I dropped a bank in the older battery and it started draining the other battery. Thankfully I have a Stealth DC onboard charger so I could idle the big motor to get them working otherwise I would have been screwed.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

11 years out of an Interstate size 27 lead acid battery? Holy cow thats ridiculous longevity. That’s what you might expect from a lithium battery, maybe.

My interstates were all pretty good when I used them, they would last 3-4 years which I thought was solid. 11 is incredible. You definitely ran on borrowed time.

JoeMX1825
    MN

11 years out of an Interstate size 27 lead acid battery? Holy cow thats ridiculous longevity. That’s what you might expect from a lithium battery, maybe.

My interstates were all pretty good when I used them, they would last 3-4 years which I thought was solid. 11 is incredible. You definitely ran on borrowed time.

yep! I was very religious about keeping them on a trickle charger and making sure the water levels were good…I’m still on my original Interstate Starting battery as well although I can sense that one is getting ready to bite the bullet soon…safe to say i’m a fan of Interstate…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Totally! No reason to deviate from that with the results you’ve had.

I personally would just replace the starting/cranking one too if you’ve had it for a long time.

Ripjiggen

Don’t expect 11 years from interstate batteries now.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

X2. I’ve never got near that long out of a trolling motor battery. You got your $’s worth for sure.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Don’t expect 11 years from interstate batteries now.

I’d say the same. Been some poor reports on Interstate batteries recently. Not sure what changed or what the issue may be, They use to be my battery of choice. I have had severl issues with the last few I purchased. Just returned one a few weeks ago. Was bad in less than a year. Got a replacement for free from Scheels. They said they have been having a fair # of returns on them recently.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have these from a 24 volt Terrova. I replaced the Terrova with a 36 volt Ulterra and went Lithium.

$125.00 each if you want to save a couple of bucks.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6352-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_6353-scaled.jpeg

3. IMG_6351-scaled.jpeg

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I have these from a 24 volt Terrova. I replaced the Terrova with a 36 volt Ulterra and went Lithium.

$125.00 each if you want to save a couple of bucks.

Does either one have the sticker with the month and year of manufacture on them?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I don’t see one.

MX1825

Dutchy is that last digit in the serial number a zero? If it is, and they still use the same date code from years back, my guess it was manufactured in Feb. 2020

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ll check on that. I did send a text to the guy I bought the boat from and he said the Terrova and batteries were put on in the spring of 2023. Thats all I know.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Replace all 3.I would’nt push my luck with the starting battery.

MX1825

Don’t know the specs on them but Costco in Verona/Madison, WI has group 27 Interstates for $90.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

11 years out of a lead acid battery is outstanding. I’m averaging around 6 with my interstates and I’m happy with that. Like Joe said, plugging in the on board charger after every use and keeping on top of water levels is key.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The crazy thing is that i’m currently checking the other two 11 year old batteries with a load tester to see if they are worth keeping and they are both showing as basically brand new… I’ll for sure still swap out the other trolling motor battery just so they are both new…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.