Should I buy a snowmobile?

• tim hurley

Just found another lake in the TWC metro area (well 5om outside) that I can only access by a snowmobile tail. Some questions: is it ok to walk on the trail (ouch looks like 2 miles) can I use a ATV on a snowmobile trail? The issue for me is not cost just storage-also would only use it a few times a year so hard to justify the expense-and yes I am married!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I can’t see it making sense for a couple of uses a year. Problem with snow machines is that if you want them to run when you need them, you have to maintain and store them properly. Also, like most machines, they run better if they are run often.

I don’t believe you can use an ATV on snowmobile trails.

I’m in the same boat. Would like to get a snow machine for coyote hunting and accessing remote spots, but don’t have the storage.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I wouldnt worry about walking on a sled trail. Just be prepared to get you and your stuff out of the way when a sled comes. I dont think there are any restrictions against peds on sled trails.
    Never heard of it and dont see it in regulations.

Aaron Kalberer

Grouse is correct, snowmobiles like to be ran and run better if run often. You can walk on a trail I believe beings I see cross country skiers on snowmobile trails once in awhile, I don’t see any difference in walking it. If it is a designated snowmobile trail no wheeled vehicles allowed unless it doubles as a logging trail or minimum maintenance road, then it becomes a gray area.

tim hurley

Thanks, So who wants to check out a small lake with nice crappies north of the metro? Lake is too small to post on this site. Oh should have a sled.

Kollin Gosney

A couple benefits to having a snowmobile are that you can take it on an ATV trail and you won’t get stuck if you’re going through deeper snow or slush. You can buy chains for the tires which helps a little bit. You cannot take an ATV on a snowmobile trail though. Some bad things about snowmobiles are that you won’t be able to use it during the Summer if you don’t have snow and if there is only ice, you will wear out your hyrax quicker. They will wear out quicker because there won’t be any snow to lubricate them. Also, if the weather is warm (40 degrees Fahrenheit), it will be hard on your machine. Reply to this if you have any other questions.

Kollin Gosney

A couple benefits to having a snowmobile are that you can take it on an ATV trail and you won’t get stuck if you’re going through deeper snow or slush. You can buy chains for the tires which helps a little bit. You cannot take an ATV on a snowmobile trail though. Some bad things about snowmobiles are that you won’t be able to use it during the Summer if you don’t have snow and if there is only ice, you will wear out your hyfax quicker. They will wear out quicker because there won’t be any snow to lubricate them. Also, if the weather is warm (40 degrees Fahrenheit), it will be hard on your machine. Reply to this if you have any other questions.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I’ve been asking myself this question for 30 plus years and I still don’t own one. I’ve had 2 given to me, I repaired them enough to work and then sold them. To me it just isn’t worth it for the 7-8 weeks a year you can use them. I have had no trouble getting around with a wheeler any time of the year.

Don’t get me wrong, they are incredibly fun to ride. Every time we get that first good snowfall I get the itch to get one, but I fight it off. I haven’t been sorry about that yet. If I lived in Montana or Alaska it would be a different story.

JoeMX1825
    MN

global warming will kill the snowmobile industry (unless you like paying $12k for a sled and ride it 3 weekends out of the year)

get a ATV, they are much more versitile..buy Yamaha, they are bulletproof if you do your routine maintenance…

I’ve owned 3 sleds in my life before selling them and getting back on an ATV, I will never look back…if you get the sled itch, go rent one for a weekend…

404 ERROR
    MN

I used to buy a new sled every year…that stopped in 2006. I still own my 2006 and it has a measly 2500 miles on it now…I used to ride 3-4,000 miles a year. Was it worth it then? Yes. Now? No. My brother actually has it up on Mille Lacs right now, its first ride in over 2 years…I am planning on using it more this year, just for the fact that I have it, why not use it? I have the space to store it, so it isn’t an issue. If it ever came a time where money was tight, it would be gone in a second.

I have seen multiple people switch to ATV’s and MN is finally catching on to how much money they are losing in tourism to WI for their awesome ATV trail systems. IMO, it is only a matter of time until the ATV market swallows up the sled market…Sleds for sure have their place in some folks garages, but that number is slowly dropping. My garage is now filled with ATV’s instead and I couldn’t be happier. My vote goes to no snowmobile…if you do, find an old reliable fan cooled and don’t spend more than 1k on it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.