Shortage of Vets

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I am really frustrated today. My young Golden is ill. She has been semi lethargic since Sunday and not eating well. Something is wrong and its time to take her in but our main vet wont see her today. We called when they opened. Our secondary vet wont see her and a random local vet I called wont see her. I was told there is a severe shortage of vets and vet personnel.
    It is unbelievably aggravating to have these vets turn me away after all the business I have given them knowing full well all they would need to do is postpone one teeth cleaning.
    Everybody points to emergency care and we all know what that means. $$$$$$
    I ended up scheduling her at an urgent care today and they already warned me of the cost. Rant over.

TH

Now vet medicine is similar to human medicine. That’s doesn’t make it any less frustrating.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That sucks. I have friends who are vets, and they both mentioned this shortage to me several years ago. Wishing the best for your pup!

FinickyFish

That’s frustrating. My vet has always found a way to squeeze me in as long as it’s during open hours. Definitely had my share of emergency vet visits after hours. I’m in the west metro so probably better availability here, but I’d definitely give your vet an earful. Also I can’t stress enough pet insurance. Most advertised plans are ridiculously expensive but I can recommend some reasonably priced ones.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

good luck with your pooch!!

JEREMY
    BP

My BIL paid a boat load of money to get his 6 year old lab in the other day for the same reasons. Did xrays and blood work and said she might have cancer. Might? Aint that what the tests are for.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve experienced this before too. Not uncommon. Definitely a buzz kill when you can’t get the dog the health care it needs. Just the world we live in, lots of shortages of workers in many industries.

Brad Dimond

There are fewer vet schools in the U.S. than there are medical schools. A friend’s daughter is a large animal vet in Minnesota, she looked for a year before finding someone to bring in to her practice to offload work. When calves are dropping there is no saying no, especially to her husband who is a dairy farmer.

Hope things go well with your dog.

10klakes

Vet urgent cares even struggle- one blue pearl clinic in EP shut down then a clinic under a different name opened elsewhere. They are offering top dollar pay and taking vets and support staff from local clinics. Just adds to the local shortage.

No one wants to be a vet tech and get paid $20/hr when you can make equivalent or more doing much less stressful work in a different field.

10klakes

There are fewer vet schools in the U.S. than there are medical schools. A friend’s daughter is a large animal vet in Minnesota, she looked for a year before finding someone to bring in to her practice to offload work. When calves are dropping there is no saying no, especially to her husband who is a dairy farmer.

Hope things go well with your dog.

Yep. U of M vet school gets around 1,000 applicants a year, only accept around 100. 8 years of college and much more rigorous course loads and requirements to be a DVM than a human doctor. And human doctors get paid a good amount more. Health Insurance bs plays a big role in pay I’m sure.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I am really frustrated today. My young Golden is ill. She has been semi lethargic since Sunday and not eating well. Something is wrong and its time to take her in but our main vet wont see her today. We called when they opened. Our secondary vet wont see her and a random local vet I called wont see her. I was told there is a severe shortage of vets and vet personnel.
    It is unbelievably aggravating to have these vets turn me away after all the business I have given them knowing full well all they would need to do is postpone one teeth cleaning.
    Everybody points to emergency care and we all know what that means. $$$$$$
    I ended up scheduling her at an urgent care today and they already warned me of the cost. Rant over.

Were you able to get your pup to a Vet? Hopefully she is doing better if you did.

Karry Kyllo

8 years of college and much more rigorous course loads and requirements to be a DVM than a human doctor.

Are you sure about that?

Gitchi Gummi

sorry to hear that suzuki. I’ve had the same issue up here in Duluth for the last couple of years. Have you looked her over really well for ticks?

Brad Dimond

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>10klakes wrote:</div>

8 years of college and much more rigorous course loads and requirements to be a DVM than a human doctor.

Are you sure about that?

True. Last I heard there were 33 vet schools in the U.S. as opposed to >150 medical schools. Competition is fierce, costs are high ($63k.year)..

MX1825

<blockquote
    And human doctors get paid a good amount more. Health Insurance bs plays a big role in pay I’m sure.

This might be true but a vet I know personally has bought 2 farms(275 acres) and started an Angus breeding herd. Has put all new fences around all of it after a lot of land clearing and built 3 new buildings(1 is 60×120 half finished and heated as a shop). All done in the last 8 years. His tax man said he had to spend some money. I think he is doing ok. whistling

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Very bad news. Looks she has blasto. Right now we are focusing on survival and according to the vet it’s going to get rough. Hunting is absolutely out this year. Everything came to a head today and my wife and I are doing our best to process.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Oh yuck. Sorry, man. Hoping for the best outcome!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.