Shore Fishing North Shore

• Nolan Frey

Hey guys, im going up to grand marias to camp for the next two days. want to see if I can catch some fish while I’m up there. I’ve never fished for anything besides bass and walley/pike so I’m not sure what the gear I might. if anyone has any recommendations on locations and gear that would be great. thanks in advance.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Growing our family would camp on the North shore every summer, usually stay at temperance River state park. We would always bring the fishing gear with and cast spoons from shore into the big lake. We would never hammer them but would usually catch a few lakers during out trip. Best spoons always seemed to be silver and blue. We would just use one of our walleye rods, nothing special, which most of mine are rigged with braid and a flouro leader. Early mornings were always better than any other time of the day.

Jimmy Jones

Try off the breakwater in G. Marias. Half ounce Gold spoons with an orange stripe are my go to lures, but the mentioned silver/blue stripe are good at times too. Krokodiles are good lures. You don’t need heavy line, 6 to 8 pound is great for casting. Use a quality ball bearing swivel/snap.

Henpecked

I have not done this for a few years so things might have changed, but what Jimmy says has worked for me many times. My best experience was off the end of the west pier before sunup until the sun breaks the skyline. Also go up the gunflint to Mink Lake or Trout Lake in late afternoon until dark float crawlers for trout. Couple casting docks on Mink and a trail just past the public access on Trout.

FryDog62

Friend of mine just got back from Grand Marais and fished lake trout from shore with spoons. Various spots near town, kept moving around. Nothing huge, but fun..

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6885-scaled.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

That Little Cleo shown in FryDog’s picture is another super good bait in the gold/orange format.

Something to consider if casting the shoreline near the mouths of rivers is the need for a single hook instead of a treble. I think the rule is within 100 feet of the mouth of any river on the shore once needs the single hook.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.