Shooting smokeless….

• Jimmy Jones

I have a Woodman Patriot .45 cal muzzleloader that I have dedicated to shooting smokeless powder. Its been an interesting journey. There are a few powders that when loaded moderately stay under the 42,000 psi that I need to consider and thus far I have shoot 4: IMR4198, 5744 Accurate, N110 and N120.The N110 I only had a couple charges worth to try and haven’t had any luck in finding any more locally. The 5744 was a dirty powder to shoot so I vacated that one. The 4198 is clean shooting and a fairly accurate powder at 56 grains using 185, 200, and 225 grain, .40 cal bullets in light blue sabots. Barnes Expanders at 195 grains shoot pretty well with the 4198, as do the 200 grain XTP Hornady bullets and 225 grain Fury bullets. Today I shot the N120 at 58 and 58.5 grains using Fury’s 200 grain, .400 diameter bullets in the blue sabots and came home very pleased.

I shot at 105 yards today. After a fouling shot put on the target well below the bull, I shot 5 at the bull using the 58 grain charges and the new Fury bullet, hitting a couple inches high. The group size was right at an inch for the widest spread. Another 5 shots were sent at the target dot above the regular bull. These were the 58.5 grain charges. Again, the widest point in the spread was just under 1″. Again, very happy with this load as well. Estimated velocity is about 2800fps. This loading would be fine out to 300 yards if I ever needed that kind of range.

Wearing a Vortex Crossfire 3X9X40 scope, this rifle weighs in at a hair under 7 pounds. While I can probably sneak up to 60 grains of the N120 powder in as a max charge, I think that either of the two charges I shot today will be considered good enough. At 58.5 grains and the 200 grain pill, recoil is about like a 338 Weatherby Mag pushing 250 grainers. The scope was clicking on my safety glasses with each shot. lol I’m planning to hunt the Fury 200 grain bullets because they are a bonded bullet and will maintain their integrity to about 3300/3400fps, something that the XTP cannot do and questionable about the Barnes 195’s. The Fury 225’s are bonded too but just too heavy for the shorter-range shots that I generally see. These Fury 200 grainers are about perfect and after today’s time at the bench I’m pretty much settled on using them this fall.

As per my usual hunting practice, I’ll take the .50 cal Optima pistol every other day. This gun uses nothing but 90 weighed grains Blackhorn 209 powder and a 225 grain, .44 cal Barnes XPB bullet in a plain green sabot. Ballistically its very close to a 454 Casul. Potent medicine. Most deer drop on the spot with this tool.

I need to hit the range again soon to move the crosshairs a couple clicks to the left, then proof the shots on paper. The pistol has already passed muster. With the next range time a wrap I’ll be ready for the woods. I sure hope we cool down this fall. While hunting in a long-sleeved shirt might be comfy it makes for a lot of work if a deer drops. When the deer have been had and winter sets in, I’ll be back at the range with a couple new bullets and maybe three new powders. My quest with this smokeless muzzie is 5 shots into one 5/8″-3/4″ hole. It’ll be fun trying to get there.

As we roll out of September more and more guns are seen at the ranges and afield. Stay safe in your hunting and shooting and absolutely good luck to all of you.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.