Shiver Minnow vs. Jigging Rap Technique

• walleyevision

In all my reading on these two baits I’ve come to the understanding that each one is worked differently than the other in order for them to be effective. Can anyone explain how each one should be worked? I fish them the same, basically casting them out, popping them off the bottom by two feet or so and letting them fall back to the bottom on a slack line. I’ve caught a few fish doing this, but I’m not lighting the world on fire with these baits.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

No experience with the shiver Minnow. With the jigging rap a barrel swivel is key to allow the lure to move in circles without twisting line. When retrieving its not so much a snap UP with your rod as it is a horizontal sweep that you want. If you’re fishing it vertically then you can go with the vertical snap.

David Ellingson

I’m not saying this is right but I fish the shiver minnow more aggressively than the jigging rap. Also it seems easier to fish the shiver in deep water and faster because of the forward weight design. But as pool2 said a swivel is needed for both or you will have line twist.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I dont have a ton of experience with either, but jigging raps produce best for me on a verticle presentation. I switch to a shiver minnow if I’m pitching it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.