Shiners – Opener Weekend

• Walleye Hungry

Will there be another shortage for opener? Will they even be available?

I prefer to have a couple dozen on hand in our boat for confidence (and the inexperienced) than move on to plastics/hard baits. Would be nice to have them but not the end of the world for my fishing techniques.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Opener for us is crank baits solely. But just call the bait shop. They will give you first hand knowledge of availability

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hope they have them for you. Shiners are easy to handle and can work fantastic.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Are we talking about golden shiners here? Those things are pricey and they die if you look at them wrong.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Are we talking about golden shiners here? Those things are pricey and they die if you look at them wrong.

Not in this cool weather. Just don’t over populate them. That’s for all shiners

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Biggest myth in live bait fishing.
    Everyone claims they die so easily but I’ve never noticed any difference than any other minnow.
    Keep them cool and oxygenated and buy them from a good bait shop. If they’re dying before getting to use them you’re doing something terribly wrong or the bait shop is doing something wrong and the minnows were unhealthy when you bought them.

I’d guess a limited number of goldens will be available in most areas , the late ice out has me thinking the opener might come before the spotails move shallow and become available though.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I think he’s talking spot tails. They have always been our opener favorite up north. No slime so they are really easy to handle.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Don’t buy the shiners from Frankie’s and you will be just fine. Then again I wouldn’t buy anything from them

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Don’t buy the shiners from Frankie’s and you will be just fine. Then again I wouldn’t buy anything from them

LOL you really don’t like them do you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

LOL you really don’t like them do you.

Used to be there every day for years before Brad passed. After that only a few times, treated like crap and won’t go there no more. The old man’s a prick and the rest are very rude. A dozen shiners is typically 10 or 11. Mike’s bait is 100 times the store and same with fish lake. I couldn’t even imagine buying a boat from them when I watch them treat customers the way they do

Ripjiggen

X2

ThunderLund78

Have noticed a big difference in minnow mortality since I bought an insulated bubbler bucket. Traditional minnow buckets are fine for crappie minnows but anything bigger than fatheads need space, calmer environment and consistent water temp. It takes up a little more space in the small fishing boat, but well worth it IMO.

Walleye Man42

It all depends on water temp and if the spot tails will be in. the forecast looks good for shiners to come in if you can get some sunny days that warm up the shallows quick. Spot tails are very hard to keep as they do not like temperature changes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.