Shimano Sedona *500 carbon washers

• Oldreddbeard

Looking to tune up my sedonas while I wait for ice. Can’t seem to find the 500fd carbon washers. However, Found some 1000fd carbon washers. Would these work for the 500fd? Or could anyone link me in the right direction?

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I’ve bought all mine from John at TUCR, and according to him, each reel is different and you won’t know how many you need or what sizes you need until you take the existing one(s) out and measure them. I just got one for a 2500 series and he was surprised there was only one washer and it was the same size as a 500 series. He said he’s had some that needed 7 washers.

wetsleeves
    Iowa

there used to be a guy on ebay that carried tons of them. I believe he was from florida, Thats where i bought all of mine

This is a short photo tutorial I did a few years ago I don’t use IS anymore but i don’t have the pictures anymore hence the IS link

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=232287.msg2356108#msg2356108

One thing i will add is after reassembling the reels in those pics i went back and took them apart and removed the access cals cold climate grease. You only need a VERY thin coating.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve always got mine from smoothdrag.com. They’ll know what you need.

zooks

I’ve always got mine from smoothdrag.com. They’ll know what you need.

X2, just ordered some more a couple weeks ago, got them 3 days after my phone call. Here’s their price list with sizes, maybe you can find your answer RE: sizes here. Good luck.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

What do you guys do with carbon washers?

We replace the felt drag washers with the carbontex washers. The procedure improves the drag performance and adjustability.

zooks

We replace the felt drag washers with the carbontex washers. The procedure improves the drag performance and adjustability.

The felt washers also tend to freeze in temps under +15 degrees F, rendering the drag useless. Cost savings by Shimano which doesn’t affect 90%+ of the people that buy the reels, easy $4 fix for all of us otherwise.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Interesting! Might have to follow suit if we ever get ice around here. Thanks guys.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Interesting! Might have to follow suit if we ever get ice around here. Thanks guys.

It’s well worth it. If you do it go ahead and re-lube the reel with hot sauce.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’d say it’s worth it even for summer reels. It’s such an easy upgrade.

Oldreddbeard

Wetsleeve

It was your post on IS that I stumbled upon that sparked my interest actually! Haha thanks! Ill make sure to spread the cal’s a little lighter.

Oldreddbeard

Also checked out smoothdrags and found an ebay seller earlier. Thanks a lot for the help guys! But now I’m torn between hot sauce and cal’s.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Or just give me a shout I have them in stock most of the time.

Cal’s cold weather grease.

Oldreddbeard

Side note, i’d really like to fine tune these nuggets, what other oil/lube should i use for the rest of the components? I plan on dissassembling them completely (as i’ve bought them lightly used, aside from the sienna) and soaking them in dawn dish soap and completely re-lube/oil.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Or just give me a shout I have them in stock most of the time.

Cal’s cold weather grease.

Just picked up 2 new Siennas a few weeks ago for my 2 new TUCRs…do you have some that’ll fit? If so, I’ll send some dollars your way for the washers and grease. Thanks John!

CBMN
    North Metro
    tucrs
    NW Metro

Yes I do. I can send a kit, with grease too.

Eric G
    Eagle River,WI

yep the are on closeout everywhere because they are coming out with a new model of sedona that is $10.00 more and will no longer offer the 500 in this series

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.