Shimano customer service?

• mrpike1973

Has anyone else dealt with them? I sent a Shimano Sienna reel took 4 weeks to get it back told they put used parts from inventory to fix it. It was brand new in a clam package so I could not feel it much. Today got the rods ready and noticed my Sahara 1000 8 months old noisy as can be sent it in today told 3 week turn around? Abu, Pflueger, Daiwa have all been faster and better than this. Am I wrong this seems like a long time used parts? to fix a new reel. Most say Shimano is the best not seeing it from my point. I bought 2 13 rods this weekend called them to ask about warranty they said cut the rod blank up send back sounds good to me if needed. I’m calling on anything else I buy customer service is tops with me. Just wondering your experiences.

Deuces

Good luck, I moved away from Shimano, one shouldn’t have to deal with CS for anything on reels not even couple years old.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Are you doing any maintenance on your reels? Have you cleaned and oiled your bearings? Cleaned and greased your gears? They’re not meant to go maintenance free.

Many do a full reel maintenance straight out of the package, as most reel manufacturers actually puts grease on the bearings because it lasts longer that oil. They do this because so many people do ZERO maintenance to their reels. Well, the grease is still not what the bearings need, and they still don’t last long, despite feeling really nice out of the package.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

My Sportsman’s Warehouse does real maintenance. Some of the smaller tackle shops have a guy that can rebuild the reel from the bottom up. Look for good local service before dealing with shipping costs and long return times.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you are having to deal with the CS of all reel manufacturers.. maybe the reels are not the issue. Just sayin’

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’ve never needed customer service for any of my reels, mostly Shimano. Having said that, I too have moved away from Shimano during the last couple years. Mainly for price point and better reel options in smaller sizes for ice fishing.

mrpike1973

Yes I do clean oil my reels. Like clockwork I have sent them back to Abu/Daiwa for maintenance and got them back in less than a week. I also fish 150 summer trips and really use my stuff not beat on it but i use it all day long. Most of my send backs have been rods and only 3-4 in the last 10 years. I just find it odd that many say how great Shimano is and I have never had one yet that worked well after a season.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I notice you haven’t tried Okuma. If you’re not happy with Shimano or the others you mention, try something else.

I have a pile of Shimanos in sizes from the 500 to 4000. In models from the Sedona [1 500 series], to the Saharas [13 total ranging from the 750 series (2) to the 1000 series (10) to the 4000 series (1)] to Symetres 6 total ranging from the 750 series (2) to the 1000 series (2) and the 4000 series (2). Some of the 1000 series reels are over twenty years old and are still on rods I use a lot. I have never sent a Shimano reel [or any other brand] in for anything. The only gripe I have with Shimano is they stopped packing the extra spool.

I have a hard time believing you can have such incredibly bad luck with your fishing tackle.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

90% of my reels are Shimanos and I have never had a problem with them. They are all 8 years old or older. Could the quality have gone down?

Deuces

They are all 8 years old or older. Could the quality have gone down?

Seems to be this by my thread of “Shimano”. 20,10, heck even 5yr old stuff isn’t a good indicator anymore of current quality with these ever changing manufacturing shortcuts all companies are trying out.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>
    They are all 8 years old or older. Could the quality have gone down?

Seems to be this by my thread of “Shimano”. 20,10, heck even 5yr old stuff isn’t a good indicator anymore of current quality with these ever changing manufacturing shortcuts all companies are trying out.

I agree the quality has dropped in the last 5 plus years. I still buy and use them but have notice a difference.

mrpike1973

I actually have had great luck with Abu baitcasters/rods, Daiwa spinning reels, I really like the new 13 rods I have and also have some lower end lew’s rods that I think are great. I bought the Sahara reel to give it a try it felt good but I can say it is my wife’s and I least favorite reel to use. Perhaps I’m asking to much out of a 75 buck reel? I have a 30 buck Abu black max spinning reel that beats the Sahara by leaps and bounds. I apologize I asked about Shimano’s customer service frown

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.